Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 10:30 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,033,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Thanks!

I too was/am an R&D engineer, and am very aware about "analysis paralysis". I was involved in a lot of Finite Element Analysis for some pretty complicated electronics designs and technologies in the medical, GPS and automotive fields. My experience showed FEA designs often failed due to the lack of either realistic variables, or worse yet, lack of inclusion of key variables. To get around that, our design groups always built spreadsheets and constructed empirical test-beds to simulate/validate the findings for/from FEA reports. Variances were noted, updated, and tested. These were always tuned until all the outcomes matched within reasonable mfg tolerances. Since I had to sit on FMEA boards in medicine and automotive, the spreadsheet became a core tool as pre-design/post-design analysis.

This spreadsheet is actually not as complicated as it looks, and there are no assumptions in it except the master global variables designated as "what ifs". These are mostly dialed down to zero when current status-quo continues on with current rates of interest and inflation. That way, if there are no big changes in the near future, the spreadsheet just cruises. However...I didn't have a 'Pandemic Button'!! Damn!!! Haha, in these, there is always some uncertainty (Heisenberg, anyone?), and I do understand that this fact must be taken into consideration before counting on any of the outcomes.
Good stuff. I bet as we open more on what we do we will find more people have in common as we do!

I use spreadsheet for system design of launch vehicles in aerospace. It starts with how much payload to orbit and size the system requirements for the subsystems/ components. I also use the same spreadsheet to "check & match" mature vehicles performance and evaluate propose concepts to see where the "pucker factors" lies. As the design flows down to lower levels, many engineers use spreadsheet to first size their components, do the design, then followed up with higher fidelity tools such as Finite Element Analysis to identify local stresses to determine margin of safety.

So I understand there are many assumptions go into a system level analysis. All these assumptions will need to be verified and validated. For example, the vehicle acceleration & vibration loads and how it propagate to a component location where someone like you who's designing this component and use this input as the "boundary conditions" to design & analyze your system, such as what is the vibration level on an electronic box and how does this vibration affect a specific circuit board inside the box. After review of design when satisfied all analysis/ design are done correctly, a prototype is built and it goes through shock & vibration testing to make sure it withstands the expected environment that it will operate under. Eventually, a "qualification unit" is built to subject testing at an even higher level to make sure there's margin for operation. At every level, engineers continue to check their analyses to anchor with test data and update their assumptions accordingly.

Going back to building a spreadsheet for financial planning. As you said there's not a "Pandemic Button", there's no way to predict how a market crash like March'20 affect your investment returns. Likewise, there's no prediction on macroeconomic level such as how inflation will erode your purchasing power. Better yet, how does the fact that Moderna's COVID drug was proven effective and how high its stock price will go up One can update these variables after the fact to see how it impacts you, but not before.

Good conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 12:57 PM

10,436 posts, read 7,030,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So my delay-to-70 Social Security income will be a bit north of $50k in 2022 dollars. Combine that with my wife’s Social Security income collecting somewhat earlier and we’re around $90k and it’s COLA-protected. With no payroll taxes, no state income taxes, preferential Federal tax treatment, and not having to save for retirement, it spends like $150k in W2 money. Our retirement portfolio could be $0 and we would be comfortable in a paid-for house. Social Security income easily covers our cash flow requirements. All the tax deferred stuff and other assets are mad money.
Looks like you have a good strategy, there.

Does your prop tax eat into your plans?

Old 11-14-2021, 01:10 PM

10,436 posts, read 7,030,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm guessing you have staff to clean and do yard work.

If I had a 7500 sq ft house I would spend ALL of my time looking for keys, sunglasses and my phone.
When we get older, the keys are still in the door.

The sunglasses are already on our head. (Wait until you try to put glasses on, OVER the glasses that you're already wearing!) LOL!

Phone could be anywhere. Go ahead, check the refrigerator, one more time...

Old 11-14-2021, 01:40 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,033,169 times
Quote:
If I had a 7500 sq ft house I would spend ALL of my time looking for keys, sunglasses and my phone.
I thought this is just my DW but then I saw on TikTok making fun of the wives going around all day asking "where's my phone? can you call my phone?"

Old 11-14-2021, 01:51 PM

48,650 posts, read 35,142,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I thought this is just my DW but then I saw on TikTok making fun of the wives going around all day asking "where's my phone? can you call my phone?"
Well, technically it is not me, it's my husband. I put stuff away where it goes. But I might with 7500 sq ft of house. Heck, half the time I would decide I don't need it if it meant a trip to the other side of the house.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-15-2021, 07:08 AM

15,690 posts, read 7,708,115 times
Quote:
Well, technically it is not me, it's my husband. I put stuff away where it goes. But I might with 7500 sq ft of house. Heck, half the time I would decide I don't need it if it meant a trip to the other side of the house.
That's why, in general, we are perfectly fine with our 1400 sq ft house. We do have an oversize detached garage to store all of the seasonal stuff my wife likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement