Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 07:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Yes, it depends greatly on the circumstances. I have a straight female relative who married a gay man, a few of years before they retired. The reason is that they both were going to get great government pensions and with no heirs, the survivorship benefits would be wasted. They lived separately until they retired, then bought a house together with 2 masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 08:18 AM

1,719 posts, read 731,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Marriage is the path that a man and woman take to show their commitment to each other. Living together without marriage effectively states that they are not committed to each other. This is true of every culture and society in the world.
Tell that to my older brother and his lovely lady who have lived together happily and closely for 43 years.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:47 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Our youngest is a Pathologist and has been involved in some messy family situations where the person who accompanied the now deceased to the Hospital, and represented themselves as the Spouse based on decades of shared domicile, is actually the girlfriend/boyfriend of the deceased, and the deceased has no close family members.

Sometimes decisions regarding what to do with the body have to be legally relegated to a distant cousin who may or may not have ever met the deceased! More often in these cases the decisions fall upon an estranged child, or the estranged spouse from a marriage which was never dissolved by the Courts!

DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Things can get very messy with a Live-In arrangement at end of life if close family members biologically are not also close emotionally. There is an actual flow chart for Hospitals to follow in regards to the order in which biological relatives are contacted in these situations, and who has legal authority for making decisions.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11-11-2021 at 08:56 AM..

Old 11-11-2021, 09:05 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Is it better for older people to get married or live together? Speaking financially, family issues, emotionally, and otherwise?
"Older" than who?

Old 11-11-2021, 09:23 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
This isn't a question with a one-size fits all answer. But I will say, from personal experience with my father and stepmother, with whom he lived with for years before getting married, that if either or both parties have children, it's imperative to get good legal advice about how one wants their money distributed upon their death. In our case, our father did a poor job of this, and got talked into putting all his assets in joint accounts shortly before he died. As a result, when the stepmother died a few years later, her no-good son got all of my father's money that she hadn't spent. My father intensely disliked this man - with good reason - and had often expressed concern about him getting any of his money. I would have been perfectly happy if my dad had left all his money to charities (my brother and I are both quite financially secure and didn't need it), but seeing the stepbrother get it, knowing how he was going to blow it, was depressing.

Marriage historically was a business arrangement, not a romantic one, and it still has those impacts today.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:28 AM

2,136 posts, read 1,207,283 times
It is a financial issue. Spousal social security comes to mind. Good prenups and wills also come to mind.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:31 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Marriage is the path that a man and woman take to show their commitment to each other. Living together without marriage effectively states that they are not committed to each other. This is true of every culture and society in the world.
Not true in our case, I lived with the woman that I eventually married from 1982 until 1994.
In that time I “lusted in my heart” after many other women, but I never did a thing about it, I was and still am, totally committed to her, my mama didn’t raise any dummies.
As I am 19 years her senior, and remembering the hassle I had settling my mother’s affairs after she died, I suggested getting married because a) when I shuffled off, she’d have minimal hassle with banks etc if she could prove that she was my legal wife, and b) it would show friends and family how much we really loved each other and were happy to be legally united.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:40 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
I think it depends on the couple. There can be inheritance, financial, health care and tax implications for either decision. I would worry about not being able to be my spouse's healthcare advocate were he not my spouse.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:42 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Our youngest is a Pathologist and has been involved in some messy family situations where the person who accompanied the now deceased to the Hospital, and represented themselves as the Spouse based on decades of shared domicile, is actually the girlfriend/boyfriend of the deceased, and the deceased has no close family members.

Sometimes decisions regarding what to do with the body have to be legally relegated to a distant cousin who may or may not have ever met the deceased! More often in these cases the decisions fall upon an estranged child, or the estranged spouse from a marriage which was never dissolved by the Courts!

DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Things can get very messy with a Live-In arrangement at end of life if close family members biologically are not also close emotionally. There is an actual flow chart for Hospitals to follow in regards to the order in which biological relatives are contacted in these situations, and who has legal authority for making decisions.
One can have a will, a living will/health care directive, and named beneficiaries on bank and investment accounts. One can name whomever they want to make end of life decisions and to inherit. Most/all states have their healthcare directives online. No lawyer needed so there is no excuse.

It is sad that many people do not get this paperwork in order (as your pathologist child has witnessed. )

Old 11-11-2021, 09:43 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. Lots of unmarried couples are totally committed to each other. Perhaps you just haven't run into that in your sphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement