Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 08:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

Is it better for older people to get married or live together? Speaking financially, family issues, emotionally, and otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 10:54 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Depends on your tax status and who you want to inherit your estate. Generally it's cheaper and less hassle if not married, but then depends on your situation. I know several elders who live together for the convenience, taxes and other financial situations.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Marriage is the path that a man and woman take to show their commitment to each other. Living together without marriage effectively states that they are not committed to each other. This is true of every culture and society in the world.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:05 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Marriage is ...
... an asset-sharing partnership contract regulated by state (or central government) law. To the extent that it is a legal contract, yes, it is a commitment, rescindable at contract and legal cost.

Two humans enter into such contract and share assets in accordance with law, including any private sidebar agreement (pre-nuptial).

Quote:
Is it better for older people to get married or live together?
As mentioned several times already, it depends on the indivuduals' situations and their intentions regarding to what extent they shares assets between the two of them and among their heirs.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:29 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,436 times
After 31 years of marriage, I can’t imagine trying again. I don’t think I’d even want a live in. I love and am in love with my husband but don’t feel I’d want to put the time and effort into another marriage.

And I disagree with the poster who wrote lack of marriage = lack of commitment. There are many practical reasons not to marry later in life including losing survivor benefits.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:35 AM

881 posts, read 766,084 times
I know many older couples who have married after both spouses died or were divorced and been very happy. I think what matters is how one sets up the marriage. If there is a pre nuptial that outlines exactly how each persons money prior to the marriage will be dispersed etc, and very little co mingling of funds, then I think if a person wants to marry, go for it. I would not remarry, but not for financial reasons. I wouldn’t remarry because I would not want to have to divide my time between my children and grandchildren and his. And while I would/will gladly care for my husband if he were to become ill, I’m not doing it twice. I might find a friend with benefits, but we would maintain separate residences too. I don’t want to have to get used to a new person.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:32 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Marriage is the path that a man and woman take to show their commitment to each other. Living together without marriage effectively states that they are not committed to each other. This is true of every culture and society in the world.
That is a matter of OPINION. My opinion is different from yours.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:57 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
It's better for some older people to get married; it's better for some older people to live together. There are many factors to be considered, and no blanket statement will work for everyone.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:20 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Living together! Marriage will complicate your life and you're at an age where you want to relax. Don't do it!!

Old 11-11-2021, 06:30 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Better in what way? For some people it's better not to get married and for others the opposite is true. If you're a gold digger and want an easy way to inherit some money from a partner, you better get married. If you're a well to do individual and want your kids to inherit all or most of what you have, you better not marry.
Other than financial and legal considerations, it's whatever makes you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement