Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 02:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,189,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
We have 7 courts in our 55+ community, and several dozen regular players. It's a lot of fun, and can be played by people of all ages and abilities.
A video of a high school friend who was an Olympic gymnast talking about her gymnastics career and how she likes to play pickleball these days (the video of her playing pickleball starts about 3 minutes in, if you want to see what it looks like):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BAoh_A0wSg

My 55+ community has pickleball courts and I plan to start playing next spring when it starts up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 04:24 PM

538 posts, read 541,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Ouch! Looks like the Achilles Tendon snapped. That's gonna be a long recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Looks like that person had achilles tendonitis surgery. Must have been the worlds roughest pickleball game lol!

Pickleball just looks boring to me. I love tennis and racquet ball but only when I'm running all over the court.
You are both correct. Complete rupture. Starting my 5th month of recovery. Coming along fine, only issue is some numbness on the bottom of my left foot. I’ll check with my surgeon during my next appointment on Wed.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 5,023,683 times
My town removed the tennis courts for pickleball. I said "pickle what?!" Cost quite a bit to get rid of the tennis courts and redo everything, including the fence!

I really miss the tennis courts. There were used by a lot of people. I have no desire to buy equipment for another sport, so no more tennis for me. Too bad they just didn't add courts to that location instead of demolishing what had been there.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,084,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Pickle ball is the number one injury of sports, said an ER dr in my community. I know of a women who has broken their hip and one who has broken their wrist, by falling backwards. The number one rule is.....never back up when playing pickleball.
I am not sure I would go that far....but it is hard on the joints with all the stopping and starting at high speed. I do wear "support" for knees and sometimes for wrists.

That said....pickleball is great fun.

I played tennis in my 20's and doubles tennis was the most fun. Tennis, however, requires a close match in skill levels to be fun. Pickleball, is more forgiving.

If you played any of the racquet sports give pickleball a try. You will be fairly good at it from the start.

In my town, tennis courts are empty. Pickleball courts have lines of people waiting to play.

Do join a club...it is more fun with lots of different people to play with.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:37 AM

22,116 posts, read 13,137,630 times
I started to, and it was a ton of fun batting the ball back and forth! We kept score, but mostly just enjoyed managing to actually hit the ball and get it over the net, moving around burning calories, and chatting while we did it.

Then people started getting good at it, becoming much more competitive, "slamming" the ball to win, etc., and it became a lot less fun.

The ambitious ruin everything! It's like being back in the workplace...

However, it IS a sport that's kinder to older bodies than tennis.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:46 AM

476 posts, read 319,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Did you look at the video in post #8 showing people playing pickle ball? It does not look that easy at all. Just the mere basics are more than a lot of older people could do. And especially if people play at the more skilled levels.
Sure, there are some people with limited physical capabilities who don't belong anywhere near the court but it's not difficult to play in any sense. People who just want to lob the ball back and forth over the net as opposed to being more competitive need to find players with the same mindset.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:47 AM

I love to find more laid-back players, but so far haven't succeeded. Maybe in my next location?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I started to, and it was a ton of fun batting the ball back and forth! We kept score, but mostly just enjoyed managing to actually hit the ball and get it over the net, moving around burning calories, and chatting while we did it.

Then people started getting good at it, becoming much more competitive, "slamming" the ball to win, etc., and it became a lot less fun.

The ambitious ruin everything! It's like being back in the workplace...

However, it IS a sport that's kinder to older bodies than tennis.
As I said earlier, choose the personality as well as the experience level. Some beginners want to beeline from beginner to winner ASAP, and scores takes precedence over anything else. Even over improving technique.

Another thing to keep in mind: People don’t always “turn on” their competitive side for everything. I had it in my chosen live-to-do-it sports but other sports were for fun and exercise and getting outdoors—not competing.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 10,837,768 times
I thought pickleball was something else entirely.
What is the game that is like hockey but you play indoors with a broom instead of a hockey stick? I saw people doing that once and I thought they said it was Pickleball. Apparently not.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I thought pickleball was something else entirely.
What is the game that is like hockey but you play indoors with a broom instead of a hockey stick? I saw people doing that once and I thought they said it was Pickleball. Apparently not.
Don't they just call it broom hockey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement