Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 11:51 AM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm old fashioned and out of date, but IMHO, marriages and relationships work best when each member tries to make the partner's life better each day.

My first thought each morning was How can I make today better for my partner? How can it be better than yesterday and how can it be better than it would be without me? The dynamics will change over time, but the basics are always there.

Whether that means ensuring the right type of coffee is in the house or being nice to my MIL, I did it. Because, IMHO, that's what love and relationships look like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 11:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thank you!

You were tempted by a good looking woman too?
Often....boys and girls....but then again, as a Succubus, I have a different view of sex than most people. Oh, how do the lines go?

And I would be the one
To hold you down
Kiss you so hard
I'll take your breath away
And after I'd, wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
50 percent of all marriages and 41 percent of all first marriages in the US end in divorce, so you both need to be really sure before you do get married. Hopefully you have a better reason to get married than everyone else is doing it.
No one ever asked.....but more to the point and subject, just don't do it because everyone is doing it.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:57 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Thank you!

You were tempted by a good looking woman too?
LOL. I should have changed that too.

I've met a few lesbian's where there was an attraction. Male or female, I am not the unfaithful type though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-02-2021, 12:06 PM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
all i know is i said to my wife , we should spice things up in the bedroom ..we got all these masks , we can role play .

i said to her who should i be ? she said anyone but you is fine

Old 12-02-2021, 12:10 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
all i know is i said to my wife , we should spice things up in the bedroom ..we got all these masks , we can role play .

i said to her who should i be ? she said anyone but you is fine
Ba da bing!!

I asked my wife where she'd like to go to dinner on her birthday? She say take me to somewhere I've never been to....

.... so I took her to our kitchen.....

Ba da bang!!

Old 12-02-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Well for one never go a day without saying I love you.

Arguments happen but they are usually easily dismissed if at least one person is willing to not let it get far.

Don't go to bed completely incensed at each other but I defer to previous tip.

***Money is the biggest argument and it usually stems from a point where one person is primarily responsible for the bills but the other makes some buying decisions that messes the other's work in keeping the books straight. That is a very big one.***

We have been married 41 years and our relationship is one of the more difficult being that we are from different nations with a language barrier in the very beginning. So I can tell you that it can be done.
the irony with us is we have no adult supervision..

we are both in to photography and we tend to spend a lot on cameras and lenses …..we have to buy two of everything ….its like we have no grown ups saying maybe a pair of 2k lenses is not a good idea .

i know my ex wife would have beat me with it …my current wife is like well if you get one i want one too .

my wife actually got into competitive pistol shooting with me ….she has a nyc permit ….she took one of my firearms to put on her license since she liked it and then told me go buy something else . so i ended up buying a ruger super redhawk in all stainless in 44 magnum with a scope for hunting .

so it is really like we just have no adult supervision and there is no one to say no

Old 12-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Ba da bing!!

I asked my wife where she'd like to go to dinner on her birthday? She say take me to somewhere I've never been to....

.... so I took her to our kitchen.....

Ba da bang!!
whats a kitchen ? we have door dash

Old 12-02-2021, 12:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"I want to bring up the issue of extramarital affairs. As a person, we're often tempted by a good looking woman whether she's a stranger or a coworker. "

Fixed that for ya!!
The women I knew who engaged in extramarital affairs did so because their spouse took them for granted. They married with good intentions, but they fell out of love with their husbands and started craving the romance they once had and a stranger was more than happy to provide it. The men I knew who engaged in extra marital affairs were not in love with their wives, so they looked for love elsewhere. It's easy to be tempted, but if you value what you have and don't want to risk losing it, you won't succumb. I've always trusted my wife and my attitude was if she found someone else, life is too short, and good luck to them. If I was truly miserable being married, life is too short, and I'm out of there. I realize there's people happy with polygamy, open marriages, etc., but that's a different story.

Last edited by bobspez; 12-02-2021 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-02-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let me throw in that not everyone is "destined" to be married..
I began to believe that I would be single for life as I approached 50. Afterall statistically the chance of getting married after 50 is nil to zero.

So I focused on doing the things I enjoyed such as going offshore fishing. It sounds like a cliche but it's true for me, just when you're least expecting it, it happens.

So don't be looking for love in all the wrong places.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
We have been married 41 years and our relationship is one of the more difficult being that we are from different nations with a language barrier in the very beginning. So I can tell you that it can be done.
I'd imagine culture difference was also a barrier too.

With your name I couldn't help but thinking you went over to Europe during the WW II and brought home a DW !

But being married 41 years, it could've been Korea or Vietnam too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement