Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 07:40 AM

24,955 posts, read 11,389,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What's wrong with Sherpa?
Nothing but artificial fluff. It is like sticking sweaty feet in a plastic bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 09:19 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,635,203 times
I have this problem. I wear cable knit knee high socks, run a space heater near my feet in winter, wear mukluk high slippers, and still my feet are cold and clammy.
But!
If I get up out of my chair, start vacuuming or cleaning or doing anything physical at all, it goes away. Sedentary life is the problem, and many years of smoking. As soon as I get moving and do something physical I get HOT and have to start removing those layers of hot clothing.
You are just feeling it the most in your feet. It's a circulation problem, not a clothing item problem.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:20 AM

11,269 posts, read 9,894,595 times
I'm wondering how long, OP, since you've had your thyroid checked? Cold hands and feet are a symptom often associated with an underactive thyroid. I used to always have cold hands before my diagnosis, and also when my dosage of thyroid hormone was too low after my diagnosis. I definitely would have that checked, if you haven't recently. I find it curious that your feet sweat while you perceive them to be cold. That seems odd. I do occasionally get cold feet, so I sometimes wear socks to bed, or around the house, but I've never had my feet be cold and sweat at the same time.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Put on a HAT if socks and mitts don’t suffice.

This helps both indoors and outdoors, active or sedentary.

Cheap, easy, and harmless. Try it.
This is so true. The majority of heat loss is through your head. If you keep your head warm and insulated, the rest of the body will have to increase circulation to deal with the extra warmth. When I am outdoors in the winter, I find I can wear either a hat or gloves, but not both, without becoming excessively warm. One of them has to go! I also keep a small pair of knit gloves in the pocket of every jacket or coat that I own, so I am always prepared to whip them out to warm my chilly hands whenever I'm out. I've been "saved" by this habit so many times.

OP try wearing a simple knit hat while indoors and maybe even to bed, if you keep the house cool at night. It will send any excess heat to your feet and hands for dissipation, warming them in the process.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:26 AM

23,628 posts, read 19,445,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
\

Also overall, people who do not live in cold climates can readily display a lack of knowledge. (saying ignorance would be rude) But that never stops posters from doing so and displaying such.
For your information, I've lived in "cold climates" (PacNW, CO, ND, ID, WA, and now AK) for over 40 years!

Old 12-06-2021, 11:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,955,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
something is not right,cold feet which sweat?
You have poor circulation,how is your heart?
It is likely that excessive sweating is the cause of cold feet.

The OP may have a condition called hyperhidrosis

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...of-sweaty-feet

He should try some of the tips in the article get rid of sweaty feet like wearing the right sock (cotton in summer, wool in winter, moisture-wicking socks, avoid synthetic materials), using antifungal powder, applying antiperspirant, choosing the right shoes, staying hydrated, soaking feet in black tea, applying rubbing alcohol etc. Reducing sweating may make his feet feel warmer.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:04 PM

I agree, something odd about being cold and sweating at the same time which doesn't add up. I do get clammy if I sweat, and then am exposed to the cold, but that's usually from working up a sweat outdoors in cold weather, like hard work or cross country skiing, not hanging around in the house in my slippers.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:59 PM

272 posts, read 167,870 times
You all—ALL—got it wrong. All of you…

Heat escapes the head due to thinking (and thinning!) scalp and hair loss. Wrap a pair of Duofold around your head like Ebenezer Scrooge (or me). Sit with blanket on tootsies. In five minutes, your feet will be and will remain warm.

You can’t be vain or care about appearances when it comes to your health. Socks will only get colder if you force the heat out of them up to your uncovered head.

Why do you think “The Night Before Christmas” talks about settling in in a nice winter’s cap?

Silly youngsters

Old 12-06-2021, 03:07 PM

23,628 posts, read 19,445,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I agree, something odd about being cold and sweating at the same time which doesn't add up. I do get clammy if I sweat, and then am exposed to the cold, but that's usually from working up a sweat outdoors in cold weather, like hard work or cross country skiing, not hanging around in the house in my slippers.
Looks like some folks here need to refresh their understanding of how to keep a living 98.6F body warm in air that's cooler than that. What you're forgetting is that the body perspires even if you're just sitting. The body's a metabolic engine...it produces and expels moisture constantly. Its why if you sit around in a raincoat indoors you'll get wet eventually, it just happens from the inside out instead of the other way around.

The science involved in producing high tech performance fabrics for exercising in cold weather is basically the same for a person just sitting in a chair in a room. Obviously, the person just sitting around isn't generating as much heat or moisture as an active one, but they are still generating some. If you want to stay warmer, dress in layers; a thinner layer that is better at wicking moisture away from your skin so it can evaporate and dry, and an outer layer on top that slows down heat exchange with the cooler air surrounding the body. That, plus firing up the metabolic engine periodically to speed the heat exchange process up. One thick layer won't keep you as warm as two relatively loose fitting thinner layers of the right sorts of fiber.

Some fibers like cotton and down/feathers are notorious for absorbing and holding moisture faster and more easily than others. Once wet, the fibers stick together and compress out tiny air pockets in the fiber that could hold heat. So, they no longer provide any insulation and you get chilled. You have to keep them very dry for them to keep you warm. Other fibers like wool, polyfibers (like synthetic lofting sleeping bags), and "wicking" fabrics resist compression when wet. The air pockets are maintained, your body heat can continue to warm them, the moisture can continue to evaporate and dry out the fiber. Which in turn keeps you warmer.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-06-2021 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 04:56 PM

48,710 posts, read 35,229,289 times
Well I learned a lot.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement