Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 12:58 AM

272 posts, read 166,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"This drugs can have a side effect. You may experience bouts of homicidal rage."--Duke
"What the hell are you talking about Man?"---Washington Redskins Player
"But you're a half back! Who would know the difference?"

See, there's the catch that what might be perfectly understandable, acceptable in our time may be quite perverted by the time anyone comes across it......even if it is just a football team.

But on the other hand..........."Times have changed, grandpa, you can come out of the closet now."
Afraid this one goes over my head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 03:54 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,047,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
Afraid this one goes over my head
Things over time change, what seemed okay to us growing up could be quite perverted now.....and even Doonesbury can get it wrong.....by current definition.

In https://kclibrary.org/blog/featured-...ity-connection with "It's a Baby Woman", that is how I was "taught" to see things. Now, though, between those who have nothing set in stone till age 10 or so to the trafficking activists saying there is no such thing as an underage woman for that is a child, who knows that what we know is acceptable.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:59 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,620,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I misspoke. Use strong passwords for things you do not want others seeing. People will say well I forget them. One trick I was taught is to write passwords down but always leave a known part of it out. Like always have it be say begin at the fourth letter. Example:

Write down JB3ACEef123 when the actual password is JB3AkittyCEef123. All you have to remember is to add kitty for each password.

This is very good advice.

For those like me, who have all their financial interests online now, which I suspect is most of us, I would suggest using a password manager app. Use the above formula or something similar that you can remember as the password for the manager app, then have that app manufacture individual passwords of long strings of random letters & symbols for everything else.

I was using LastPass but have switched over to 1Pass because the former's security measures were questionable.

My local bank, my investments, my IRAs, Social Security, federal & state income taxes, my email accounts that contain info from my lawyer & insurance companies, retail transactions, etc... if any of this fell into the hands of some eastern Euro or other who is a full time pro hacker looking for soft targets, without strong security one's personal/financial life could fall like dominos.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:25 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,617,920 times
Why would I want to save AND encrypt something? Is the purpose to expose, or hide something?

Old 12-12-2021, 11:57 PM

272 posts, read 166,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Why would I want to save AND encrypt something? Is the purpose to expose, or hide something?
The purpose, for me, is the calming feeling in the here-and-now that I don’t have to think again about being forgotten the moment I check into the sweet hereafter. I like this privacy. Others—many others, it seems, if this thread is any indication—aren’t concerned about it. I guess it depends on what makes you feel good.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:58 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times
Since I'll be dead, I won't care.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:05 PM

35,120 posts, read 31,396,457 times
There isn't much on my computer's storage disks that I wouldn't share with the world. There's very little there that's controversial.

I'd never want anyone to have access to my Apple account (iCloud). That's where all my phone photos are backed up to. There are plenty of things there that I wouldn't want the world to know. Nothing illegal, but socially embarrassing.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:18 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,220,866 times
Fear of this sort of thing is exactly why I NEVER post anything on the interwebs

Old 12-13-2021, 10:38 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,617,920 times
The chance that anyone will read and pay attention to an historical document is the inverse of how many of them there are. Few letters were written home during the civil war, so the few that survive are read eagerly. But eveery e-mail I ever sent is in my outbox, and there are literally a billion outboxes. My most lascivious secrets will forever be ho-hummed, even in the rare chance anyone will find them in all that mess.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:44 AM

16,118 posts, read 10,794,956 times
I have two personal thoughts on this. First, I can’t think of anything that would be derogatory or condemning that would be discovered. Second, I can’t think of anyone who would have the time or interest to look for anything. I am a writer and have a few unfinished drafts but they are unfinished for good reason. Most of my finished work is published or online and public. There are early drafts of that finished work but no one would care. My tax records are there for several years and someone would have to file my taxes for the year.

This issue is one that various archivists have to address. There are manuscript depositories that have housed the papers of various notable people both famous and ordinary. Researchers have used those collections for information. The papers of a 1936 Olympian at the Berlin games might record their impressions of Nazi Germany or what they heard or saw about the treatment of Jews or the existence of resistance groups. Now, there might be little or no paper and only electronic files. What ideas or impressions will our Olympians have at the future Olympics in China? They might be recorded in emails or an online journal. An archive that has to catalog and preserve the Bill Gates Collection will have to not only preserve them but keep them accessible as technology changes. The media might not be readable as a floppy disk.

What about our postings on Facebook or Twitter or on CityData?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement