Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 07:58 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
This is the Retirement board. At this point in my life, I eat what I want. Bette Davis said it best: "Old age ain't no place for sissies."

Life is to be lived and enjoyed. I'd rather give up living from 90-100 than give up living now.
Can't rep you again, Lillie.

As for us, dinner at around 7pm. During the nicer weather, we would sit in the screened in porch at 5 or 5:30pm for cocktail hour before dinner at 7 or maybe 7:30pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 08:12 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,391,086 times
Breakfast about 9am, lunch around 3pm, dinner about 8pm.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:30 PM

7,126 posts, read 4,845,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
P.S. That's an awful lot of sodium nitrite (which can be carcinogenic, and people who eat a lot of processed meat are much more likely to get heart disease and diabetes too in addition to possible cancer) which you are ingesting daily, unless you're eating solely Applegate brand or certain turkey bacon/turkey sausage products.

What You Should Know About Processed Meat
https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/s...rocessed-meats Feb 2021

Processed meats rank alongside smoking as cancer causes
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...oking-says-who

Why Processed Meat is Bad For You
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_5
Damn. Some people can be such kiljoys.
When do you eat for dinner, and what, Matisse?

We have been eating earlier and going to bed earlier for the most part. Weekdays, I work part time and get home early, mid afternoon. Hubby works til 5, has a 30-45 minute commute and a couple of times a week goes to the gym.
So when we actually have a planned, sit down meal, it’s usually done by 7:30.

Last edited by puginabug; 12-11-2021 at 09:23 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 08:52 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Breakfast is my favorite meal. Usually bacon, ham or sausage, hash browns and toast. Although this morning it was corned beef hash.
Add beer and you have 4 of 4 of the basic food groups. Bacon counts as the vegetable.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:28 PM

18,154 posts, read 15,734,758 times
I eat when I'm hungry and include snacks, so I'm not going more than 5 or 6 hours on an empty stomach when I'm awake.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:35 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
P.S. That's an awful lot of sodium nitrite (which can be carcinogenic, and people who eat a lot of processed meat are much more likely to get heart disease and diabetes too in addition to possible cancer) which you are ingesting daily, unless you're eating solely Applegate brand or certain turkey bacon/turkey sausage products.
Unfortunately, Applegate products do have nitrates and/or nitrites. They're just disguised as something else.

Applegate uses celery powder or juice and sea salt, which contain nitrates. When you see a “no nitrates added” label, look for an asterisk pointing to fine print that may say something like “no nitrates except those naturally occurring in celery powder.” That asterisk basically contradicts the nitrate-free claim.

Gastric cancer is a real risk. I had to give up all cured and smoked meats. It turned out it really wasn't that hard.

Sorry for the digression.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:09 AM

8,277 posts, read 8,673,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Damn. Some people can be such kiljoys.
When do you eat for dinner, and what, Matisse?

We have been eating earlier and going to bed earlier for the most part. Weekdays, I work part time and get home early, mid afternoon. Hubby works til 5, has a 30-45 minute commute and a couple of times a week goes to the gym.
So when we actually have a planned, sit down meal, it’s usually done by 7:30.
Doesn't sound like retirement.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:06 AM

882 posts, read 769,068 times
We eat breakfast around 7:30 am, lunch around noon, cocktail hour at 6 pm, and dinner around 7-7:30 (depends on the number of cocktails).

Old 12-12-2021, 04:09 AM

10,617 posts, read 12,152,727 times
My only thoughts about the "dinner hour" -- being single -- is how much importance -- this is my projection and interpretation -- some couples put on eating together.

I mean it's great that after 45 and 30 years couples still love each other and enjoy each other's company. But personally, IF -- by chance, not every night -- I happen to be doing something at dinner time I really hope my spouse would just go ahead and eat and I'd eat when I was finished doing what I was doing.

Couple 1) ...married about 50 years. I invited the wife to lunch on a Wednesday -- with 3 week's notice. She was retired, her husband worked part-time and apparently he was off on Wednesdays. I was still working at a job where days off could change with three weeks notice.

I suggested a Wednesday. She said she couldn't do it because she usually spent that day with her husband. I marveled that after 50 years married she couldn't take ONE Wednesday to go to a 2-hour lunch? It's not like she'd have been away from him the whole day. It was a lunch, six blocks from home for a couple of hours.

Couple 2) married 35 years, both retired, very involved in a lot of volunteering.

I'll be talking with the wife (my friend) and she will get off the phone and cut the conversation short because her husband is calling her to dinner. Why can't he just eat if he wants to and she'll join him when she gets off the phone?

Clearly, being a life long single person I can't relate to how big a deal eating together seems to be for some couples.....let a lone not being able to make plans with out checking with someone else first.

My friend has said her husband "wants to do everything together." I hear: "he wants to be tied at the hip." Seems 'clingy" to me.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:15 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,018,142 times
I eat my big meal between 1-4. I have heartburn issues so eating earlier is a must for me. Around 6 I may have a very small bowl of cereal.
Laying on the left side does not alleviate heartburn. Not in my world anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement