Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2022, 07:23 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,748,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can’t imagine spending that kind of money on food. Hell I haven’t had food delivered in years. Well maybe a pizza last year.
They won't even deliver to our neighborhood. We are too far away from town. They are really missing out on a lot of business. We have about 8000 people, mostly seniors, who would love to have delivery, but neither GrubHub, Door Dash, or any other delivery service will come out here because they have some sort of mileage radius limit. We are about 10 miles from town.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:06 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I didn't read all of the posts but the first few posts talk about 1) prepared foods and 2) eating out. In a time of inflation, one senior can save money by cutting back on prepared foods, takeout, and eating out and prepare their own meals at home.
It depends on age/health. Most of the frailer elderly we get as rehab patients don’t/can’t cook meals at a stove anymore. They exclusively use the microwave or a toaster oven, and use processed foods because that’s all they can handle physically.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:55 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
They won't even deliver to our neighborhood. We are too far away from town. They are really missing out on a lot of business. We have about 8000 people, mostly seniors, who would love to have delivery, but neither GrubHub, Door Dash, or any other delivery service will come out here because they have some sort of mileage radius limit. We are about 10 miles from town.
An opportunity for enterprising young persons in high school/colleges

Maybe you can start this new business as a service to your community.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know. Marinating meat for a long period of time in vinegar or lemon juice kind of turns me off. I'm sure it's fine but why would I want to eat meat that I need to soak in an acid solution for hours in order for it to be tender?
I watch YouTube on how they "dry age" meat upto 276 days. They said this allows the microbes to go to work making the meat concentrated with flavor. I should really study on how this works for my own oral satisfaction

Old 02-20-2022, 11:19 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I watch YouTube on how they "dry age" meat upto 276 days. They said this allows the microbes to go to work making the meat concentrated with flavor. I should really study on how this works for my own oral satisfaction
We only eat dry aged steaks and for awhile we were ordering from online butcher that dry aged the whole carcass so all of their cuts were dry aged including ground beef etc. Very good!
However they have any some ways priced themselves out of our range of choices. Can get dry aged steaks from Wegmans along with other quality cuts.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:01 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know. Marinating meat for a long period of time in vinegar or lemon juice kind of turns me off. I'm sure it's fine but why would I want to eat meat that I need to soak in an acid solution for hours in order for it to be tender?
Because it is usually the cheaper way to go. It is sort of, in theory, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillabaisse .

Old 02-20-2022, 12:18 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I have always been fussy about my food. When I was divorcing my ex we had to live together for 4 months until the house was sold. I quit cooking of course. He makes himself a tuna fish sandwich and leaves the tuna out. He leaves it out overnight and I think now he has to throw it away. The next time I walk by he’s eating it. I felt like puking and he didn’t even get sick.

Old 02-20-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have always been fussy about my food. When I was divorcing my ex we had to live together for 4 months until the house was sold. I quit cooking of course. He makes himself a tuna fish sandwich and leaves the tuna out. He leaves it out overnight and I think now he has to throw it away. The next time I walk by he’s eating it. I felt like puking and he didn’t even get sick.
Your story reminds me of my cooking approach in my single days. The easiest one was my "ramen special" but with enhanced protein & fiber. .

What it is I basically dumped the dry ramen into a boiling pot of water, then add a can of Homel Chilli with beef, and finally add cabbage for a balanced diet. Voila! I have my Bachelor special, quick & easy

Old 02-20-2022, 01:22 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
That's funny - any food not fresh - the mere thought of food slightly old or ready to expire - makes me retch or almost puke my guts out.

Reading a post at beginning of this thread with poster happy about taking expiring food home from a coffee shop job as a perk and then freezing it at home makes me retch!
I’m certainly glad I’m not you and can instead take advantage of these delicious expense and waste cutting measures that consistently save us hundreds of much-appreciated dollars each month. I am especially grateful for the banana bread slices, already individually wrapped, that I add to my sons’ school packs. I enjoy the mixed berry vegan muffin with a cup of home espresso after a workout. My husband thinks the cookies are a great late night snack while working in his startup.

I trust my knowledge from college level Biology and getting my state-issued food handlers card to keep us safe. I know there is very little reason to fear our quality, in-house products on the day of (or a day after) expiration or directly after reheating from the freezer.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:02 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
That's funny - any food not fresh - the mere thought of food slightly old or ready to expire - makes me retch or almost puke my guts out.

Reading a post at beginning of this thread with poster happy about taking expiring food home from a coffee shop job as a perk and then freezing it at home makes me retch!
I’m much the same way.

I’m notorious for drinking a quarter gallon of milk or so, coming back later, then the milk has gone off before it’s expiration date. If something has been touched, and it’s meat/dairy, I won’t even go up the expiration date.

I can afford the $2 for the next half gallon of milk rather than trying to stretch it to its absolute limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement