Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 11:16 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, many states allow seniors to attend college for free; the age (some are 60; others are 65) and particulars (which and how many classes, whether or not you can work toward a degree or just audit) vary from state to state.
You don’t have to be a senior. Some degrees are like mortgages and take 30 years to pay off. My own degree which was about $40,000 in loans would be closer to $200,00 today. But salaries are lower than they were in the past. I make now what I made over 15 years ago.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:49 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
In that vein, I cant even make the same amount of money (level of pay) that I made 45 years ago. 45 years.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:15 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
In that vein, I cant even make the same amount of money (level of pay) that I made 45 years ago. 45 years.
Yes. I recently took a side gig (as much to level up on experience in some areas as anything) that paid a little above median for run of the mill line of business software development, and it was about the same hourly rate I was charging as a consultant in about 1988.

For my primary gig, I am grandfathered into a consulting gig turned captive developer thing at a little over twice that rate, but it will probably end Dec 31.

To have anything like that rate elsewhere, I'll have to hang my consulting shingle back out again, and my initial explorations into that area tell me that it's going to be brutal in one or more of several ways. Either paying thousands to buy my way into a consulting or ISV relationship with one or more vendors, possibly training costs, and uncertain ROI because I can't seem to figure out how much business they would actually refer to me. It may be hard to do on a small scale, too. I was already getting into territory where I needed to hire 10 people if I wanted to make a go of it. The day of the one-man shop with lots of low-hanging fruit has been gone probably for at least 15 years now.

To just get me through the next 5 years I'm very tempted to try to negotiate a FTE role with the primary gig, even at a discount, and just see how long I can stand the environment of a multinational mega-corp.

Of course in the meantime the world churns on, possibly toward nuclear war for all I know, so ... part of me just wants to bag it altogether ...

Old 02-28-2022, 12:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
We have a low income Vietnam Vet a few doors down. We check on him every so often, and today he mentioned he ran out of food a week ago, so we cleaned out our pantry and will add some meat and take it over to him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-28-2022, 04:18 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We have a low income Vietnam Vet a few doors down. We check on him every so often, and today he mentioned he ran out of food a week ago, so we cleaned out our pantry and will add some meat and take it over to him.
I hope this comes back to you in some way times 10.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:59 AM

207 posts, read 118,891 times
I think people have forgotten how high gas was in the spring of 2008. I’m in California and while I don’t remember the exact price per gallon it was inching towards $5.00. So let’s say $4.50 give or take which is about what it is now 14 years later.
Now, the price of used cars is another story.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:27 PM
JRR

8,161 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Here in Tennessee, we don't have a state income tax. And people go crazy off the charts at the mention of one. But we have one of the highest combined sales tax rates in the country. So when inflation is high, people lower down the economic ladder have to pay even more of their income for taxes on their food or any other needed items.

The wealthier people make sure that any thoughts of having a modest income tax and reducing the sales tax are quickly squashed. Because after all, if lower income retirees and those with families are struggling; well too bad

Old 03-01-2022, 01:46 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Here in Tennessee, we don't have a state income tax. And people go crazy off the charts at the mention of one. But we have one of the highest combined sales tax rates in the country. So when inflation is high, people lower down the economic ladder have to pay even more of their income for taxes on their food or any other needed items.

The wealthier people make sure that any thoughts of having a modest income tax and reducing the sales tax are quickly squashed. Because after all, if lower income retirees and those with families are struggling; well too bad
That’s a good point. We have income tax but no sales tax on food or clothes. It didn’t occur to me that it’s better for low income families that way because they’d probably get the income tax back in their tax refund.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

That sucks. I thought HI was the only state that taxed food. But at least in TN they reduce the tax rate on food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-01-2022, 02:20 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That sucks. I thought HI was the only state that taxed food. But at least in TN they reduce the tax rate on food.
Idaho taxes food too. You can apply for a tax refund, but it's limited - I think ?$150? a year is the max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement