Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 01:07 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times

Advertisements

Serious, many retirees aren’t physically capable of working and I have known people without a extra 100 to invest. I understand being on the retirement forum when you ask questions about your parents, etc but otherwise it’s weird. You are in the prime of your life.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Serious, many retirees aren’t physically capable of working and I have known people without a extra 100 to invest. I understand being on the retirement forum when you ask questions about your parents, etc but otherwise it’s weird. You are in the prime of your life.
as in making over $150k and living in TN... That must be equal to a 1-5%er.

Raised my family well on < 1/2 that income living in a HCOL region.

I was done with that working for wages stuff (in my 40's).
Still eating well on $100 / month, tho that might change to $110 / month during 2022.

I take delivery of my 1/2 beef in January. It has climbed in price, tho the beef producers are not seeing that increase.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
I think more people should admit that many older people have (or can have) diminished capacities in various ways.

A good number have less physical strength, less physical energy, less ability to carry on tasks productively for many hours per day.

Some have physical ailments which impede their life. Some have less mental acuity.

A large number of people who did physical labor are no longer able to do physical labor.

And a large number of people who have retired from careers are not going to be hired back into the labor force at the same level of job which they left behind or anywhere near that level.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:25 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I question the quality of the chicken at that price. caged, pumped up with hormones, fed lo-quality GM-grains. Yuck.
I generally try to eat pretty healthy, but those chickens are a good value for what they are.

Look at breakfast this morning. I could go through McDonald's and get 2/$2 sausage biscuits. Unhealthy as can be.

What did I eat? Three Morningstar farms hot and spicy vegetarian sausage patties. They're $4.39 bag for six patties at Kroger, so about $2.20 for the "healthy meat" alone. I can get real sausage a lot cheaper than that.

Two Van's multigrain waffles. 6 for $3, so $1 there.

Probably about $2 in fresh raspberries. 12 oz. at Sam's for $7.

I also made a homemade smoothie - frozen dragonfruit ($5 for 12 oz. at Kroger), some orange juice, frozen raspberries/blackberries/blueberries. Maybe $2 there?

My breakfast was probably $6-$8. It's not cheap to eat healthy. The fresh berries are expensive.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:44 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
I question the quality of the chicken at that price. caged, pumped up with hormones, fed lo-quality GM-grains. Yuck.

https://www.costco.com/sustainabilit...l-welfare.html

Old 12-15-2021, 02:28 PM

14,931 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think more people should admit that many older people have (or can have) diminished capacities in various ways.

A good number have less physical strength, less physical energy, less ability to carry on tasks productively for many hours per day.

Some have physical ailments which impede their life. Some have less mental acuity.

A large number of people who did physical labor are no longer able to do physical labor.

And a large number of people who have retired from careers are not going to be hired back into the labor force at the same level of job which they left behind or anywhere near that level.
Granted. But many don't.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:04 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
For the most part, I've nearly completely cut out lunches out at chain restaurants, unless I'm going out with someone or have to do be somewhere around that time. It's just not worth it - I was OK paying $9-$10 for a Jersey Mike's combo, but at $14, it feels like a poor value.

A salad/sandwich chain called Saladworks recently showed up in the area. A half-salad (which is still a good amount of food, half of a panini that doesn't have much meat, chip, and a fountain drink combo is over $14. A double bacon burger, fry, and a drink at Five Guys (yes, their fries are huge - no, I can't eat it all at once) is over $15.

I can eat much cheaper than that at home. There's a little taqueria that has good, authentic tacos with just cilantro and onions. I'll often get a chorizo and asada taco for lunch - $7 before tax.

Watch out. The cheaper the restaurant food gets, the more danger of eating crap--possibly dangerous crap as restaurants lower the quality to get the prices to pre-pandemic levels just to keep their customers coming back.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:13 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
This is the worst inflation I've seen in 40 years dating back to 1982 or so. A BBQ whole chicken that I could buy ready to eat for $5 last year in Von's has now doubled to $10. We've all seen the price hikes in reports on the news channels. Seniors were already struggling to feed themselves before this inflation hit. How are members in here coping with these spikes in the COL?
I rather expected it though. You can't raise wages like we just have done (in response to all the people screaming for it) and think that prices will not rise. I am surprised that anyone is surprised.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

My breakfast was probably $6-$8. It's not cheap to eat healthy.

Truer words were never spoken. many retirees cannot afford to eat healthy and have to settle for the garbage quality of a BK or McD. Sad what this country has devolved to. I have been doing a lot of research on the web. The financial problems here are much more serious than we realize.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yeah, that's what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement