Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 12:56 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was pretty shocked that these folks had the circulation pump (and thus the water heater) running all night while they slept, and for the 10 hours a day that they were at work or commuting. And the uninsulated pipes were a HUGE mistake, but mostly an easy, and cheap, fix. So little cost to save so much $$$.

So many little changes require a couple minutes to accomplish, and save hundreds of dollars over their lifetime, but old habits die hard and people resist change. I've had friends ask me to audit their home since I've retired, but I've declined because I'm so tired of "fighting the good fight". I don't want to get into an argument with a friend when they ask me for help, and then poo-poo all the helpful and valid suggestions I make. Hey, I can tell them where the energy's being used, but I can't change their wasteful habits.
That would be a great side hustle. Just email or mail your findings and then you don't have to deal with their response.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2022, 01:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
What was the temperature outside? If it was cold or hot, I'd probably have my car running...
It was neither, but even if it was, the system is broken here. Have people park and come inside OR deliver boxed up items to their cars. 100 cars, trucks, and SUVs sitting and idling for hours when gas is nearly $4/gallon (and I realize that's relatively low compared to some places) for maybe $10 dollars worth of free food is ridiculous. I guess only when it reaches a level people TRULY can't afford will we see a change...

Old 03-04-2022, 03:46 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It was neither, but even if it was, the system is broken here. Have people park and come inside OR deliver boxed up items to their cars. 100 cars, trucks, and SUVs sitting and idling for hours when gas is nearly $4/gallon (and I realize that's relatively low compared to some places) for maybe $10 dollars worth of free food is ridiculous. I guess only when it reaches a level people TRULY can't afford will we see a change...
Those are probably the same people who drive ten miles because another store has frozen broccoli on sale for 50 cents less than the one down the street.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:04 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Those are probably the same people who drive ten miles because another store has frozen broccoli on sale for 50 cents less than the one down the street.
I think we all know someone like this.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
That is really weird, although I'm glad to see that more places are not wasting the food that goes unsold from restaurants and the like. This "food rescue" is done on a huge scale in New York City with an organization called City Harvest, but it must be more difficult to organize in smaller, more spread-out places.

But leaving the cars running just makes no sense.
I'm all about rescuing food that would be needlessly thrown away, but wasting gas in the process defeats the purpose. I've always wondered why stores and restaurants don't offer "leftovers" at a reduced price the next day, as I'm sure people -- especially these days -- would be happy to take advantage of a bargain... Seems I heard they're not allowed to sell "old" food? Now it appears they give it away, instead! But that's a clumsy delivery system.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:19 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
I have never been that person, but my husband and I have just agreed that if we need less than 12 items, we will get them at the small independent market three miles from us (with prices about 20% more than the nearest major market, about 15 miles from us. (Before the huge jump in gas prices, the "cut-off" point was three items, but if we needed only four or five items, we would add more items to make the 30-mile round trip worth it.)

I wonder if small independent grocers will notice an increase in business in the coming months?

Old 03-04-2022, 04:24 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
I'm all about rescuing food that would be needlessly thrown away, but wasting gas in the process defeats the purpose. I've always wondered why stores and restaurants don't offer "leftovers" at a reduced price the next day, as I'm sure people -- especially these days -- would be happy to take advantage of a bargain... Seems I heard they're not allowed to sell "old" food? Now it appears they give it away, instead! But that's a clumsy delivery system.
I have never lived anywhere in which the grocery stores didn't offer day-old baked goods and day-old fried chicken at a reduced price.

Are you talking about deli food -- meaning main entrees and cooked side dishes? If so, I am not sure I would "trust" them.

Btw, your post reminded me of a feel-good story I read once about a pizza chain store -- unfortunately, I forget which one -- who learned that some homeless people would wait until after the store closed and the employees went home to go to the dumpster where all the leftover pizzas were thrown out. The store manager, after learning of this, had a special stand built and placed outside the front door, upon which the leftover pizzas were actually nicely stacked to lessen the humiliation (for lack of a better word) of having to dig through a dumpster for a meal.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:30 PM

497 posts, read 571,395 times
One way I hope to save money is do all my fitness walking in my neighborhood rather than driving to my favorite park 9 miles away. No more eating out.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:57 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
The supermarket near my house in NJ sells wonderful prepared foods. They also have three refrigerator cases near the register selling the foods that will expire that day or the next at 30 - 70% off. I always check it out to see if there is anything I like. I have gotten shrimp cocktail with ten shrimp and a container of cocktail sauce and a slice of lemon, for example. I know I have to eat it that day.

A couple of times the friend with whom I often had Friday night dinner and I went there to see what they had in the case that we might like that night with a bottle of wine. It was sort of a potluck adventure, but we might end up with eggplant rollatini and chicken marsala at a good discount.

I look closely at everything before buying it, of course.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:58 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
One way I hope to save money is do all my fitness walking in my neighborhood rather than driving to my favorite park 9 miles away. No more eating out.
20 years ago I quit driving to do my exercise. Now I walk to the grocery store, to the drug store, to the dollar store, etc. If I want lottery tickets, I have to walk to get them.

Now my car sits for a month without moving, so I had to buy a handheld battery booster to get it started, but it was only $60, and I save 10X that per year in gas I don't have to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement