Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2022, 09:54 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Yes, but you can't increase your SS. You could increase the paycheck by working longer hours
Many employers don't give extra hours because of the cost factor involved especially overtime. Working 15 minutes over without being asked to was enough for you to have a sit down, not very nice chat with a supervisor and given a verbal warning.
So many working people cannot increase the hours they work unless they get another job working part time. Their hours and pay are what they are without much change other than a yearly increase which might or might not happen.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:59 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
To me, a pet is a frill or luxury item. It's not a necessity. I know people who spend thousands on their multiple pets yet fret and moan about money. Well, it's not a necessity to own a pet. People in other countries don't own pets like Americans do. If your finances are truly stretched thin then make necessary cuts in spending and spend only on necessities.
The pets do give emotional support to people. It's entertainment like Netflix or cable.

The problem is when you have multiple pets when inflation accuses. Good people aren't going to put their pets in shelters which kills older pets.. Even no-kill shelters don't have enough room for all the abandoned pets. Not right!

Old 03-12-2022, 11:08 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The pets do give emotional support to people. It's entertainment like Netflix or cable.

The problem is when you have multiple pets when inflation accuses. Good people aren't going to put their pets in shelters which kills older pets.. Even no-kill shelters don't have enough room for all the abandoned pets. Not right!
And things can change. You might be well able to afford a pet when you get them, but later with more and more vet visits, an aging pet or a change in income, it becomes difficult. At that point most people will do without things themselves rather than giving up a loved pet who might be their only companion and I would do the same. I'd eat ramen everyday before I gave up a pet that was bonded to me and I loved.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:11 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

I had 2 cats when my income changed for the worse. One of them had medical issues, so with prescription food and meds, I was spending $80 or more per month. Then vets increased what they charge so a visit to the vet for itchy ears cost over $100. I could ill afford to keep them, but like you say, no way was I going to give them up, not even to another family because some people aren't very kind to their pets and I would worry about them.

When they died, one at 19 yo and the 2nd at 18, I didn't replace them. I miss having a pet, especially since I live alone, but I can't take on the financial responsibility if one gets sick.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Many employers don't give extra hours because of the cost factor involved especially overtime. Working 15 minutes over without being asked to was enough for you to have a sit down, not very nice chat with a supervisor and given a verbal warning.
So many working people cannot increase the hours they work unless they get another job working part time. Their hours and pay are what they are without much change other than a yearly increase which might or might not happen.
Frankly, I've never worked a job where overtime wasn't offered unless some outside issues were causing the work to slow down. Nor a job where staying without permission was permitted. I've always asked to stay late, without permission, yes, you could be causing trouble, but that not part of this posting.

Speaking in general terms, not all jobs are salaried, not all jobs are full time, not all jobs gave benefits.

To focus on one branch of work, misses the point. One cannot increase their SS you can increase your income, by working more.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:32 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And things can change. You might be well able to afford a pet when you get them, but later with more and more vet visits, an aging pet or a change in income, it becomes difficult. At that point most people will do without things themselves rather than giving up a loved pet who might be their only companion and I would do the same. I'd eat ramen everyday before I gave up a pet that was bonded to me and I loved.
I have also slept in my car with my dogs when in between places to live. I made sure my dogs and I had a lot of fun while doing it. In fact, this week we are driving west 2000 miles for a family reunion. We will stop in Phoenix, Arizona, where we used to live. We will visit a killer water dog park, with concrete docks where dock dogs are trained to jump and compete. We are going to have a blast. I skimp on my own food and am very careful with driving (gas) because their needs have increased.

I wish more people, like those who just dump dogs and other animals, would have that level of commitment.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:33 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Yes, but you can't increase your SS. You could increase the paycheck by working longer hours
That's not up to you to decide though. And those on annual salaries get nothing.

The Gov decides on raises to your SS.
Your employer decides on wage increase/extra hours.

It really is no different in the end. And p/t employees are locked at 29 hours so they don't become f/t with benefits.

Old 03-12-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's not up to you to decide though. And those on annual salaries get nothing.
Yes, it is up to you to decide. Want more? Work more. if not your ft job, then another. Those working salaries, could get another job. I should have said "Income" not "paycheck" as it denoted one job held
Quote:
The Gov decides on raises to your SS.
Your employer decides on wage increase/extra hours.
And you can decide to 1. Get another job replacing the one now. 2 work another job besides the one you got. The employer can't tell you to not work another job.
Quote:
It really is no different in the end. And p/t employees are locked at 29 hours so they don't become f/t with benefits.
Actually, pt employees do get benefits (Walmart for example) and while the "Average" week isn't to exceed 29 hours, it was typical of Walmart to have me do 32 one week, 24 the next. As long as the "Average" was 29. It worked out. So as you could see, there's no absolutes.

Old 03-12-2022, 12:11 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Yes, it is up to you to decide. Want more? Work more. if not your ft job, then another. Those working salaries, could get another job. I should have said "Income" not "paycheck" as it denoted one job held

And you can decide to 1. Get another job replacing the one now. 2 work another job besides the one you got. The employer can't tell you to not work another job.

Actually, pt employees do get benefits (Walmart for example) and while the "Average" week isn't to exceed 29 hours, it was typical of Walmart to have me do 32 one week, 24 the next. As long as the "Average" was 29. It worked out. So as you could see, there's no absolutes.
That is what several of us are trying to tell you. An employee can't just decide to work extra hours.

Old 03-12-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That is what several of us are trying to tell you. An employee can't just decide to work extra hours.
Please, the horse is dead. Put down the stick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement