Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 07:33 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
To me, a pet is a frill or luxury item. It's not a necessity. I know people who spend thousands on their multiple pets yet fret and moan about money. Well, it's not a necessity to own a pet. People in other countries don't own pets like Americans do. If your finances are truly stretched thin then make necessary cuts in spending and spend only on necessities.
Agreed. I have seen people that can barely afford their own care, and they have multiple animals that they are struggling to pay for. I don't know when we got so insanely into the "pet mentality". I had cats most of my life, but I would never put them, or any pet, over my own family or myself for that matter. I won't have any more. Retirement to me means less responsibility, not more. I have neither the time, the desire, nor the patience to deal with pets in my home. And I darn sure am not interested in the exorbitant costs of care now.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Agreed. I have seen people that can barely afford their own care, and they have multiple animals that they are struggling to pay for. I don't know when we got so insanely into the "pet mentality". I had cats most of my life, but I would never put them, or any pet, over my own family or myself for that matter. I won't have any more. Retirement to me means less responsibility, not more. I have neither the time, the desire, nor the patience to deal with pets in my home. And I darn sure am not interested in the exorbitant costs of care now.
Well, you don't sound like an animal lover, and that's fine. To many pet owners, they're family; to you, they're not. You feel about pets like I feel about eating out. Different things (or, in this case, beings) are important to different people. Viva la difference!

Old 03-14-2022, 07:59 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, you don't sound like an animal lover, and that's fine. To many pet owners, they're family; to you, they're not. You feel about pets like I feel about eating out. Different things (or, in this case, beings) are important to different people. Viva la difference!
I agree - we are all different. I actually do love animals (my first choice was to become a vet LOL!), but I do not want them in my own home, and never have understood the "they are my family" thing (although I know many people that feel that way). If others can afford them and can properly take care of them, that's great.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Well, maybe because we are older.......we are considering more carefully our places in heaven.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:47 AM

7,076 posts, read 4,517,580 times
Pets give you unconditional love, help with depression, are entertaining and dogs make you walk. Besides my real children they are the most important thing in my life. People that don’t want pets shouldn’t have them. Because I live in a condo now I can only have 2 dogs. A Maltese was abandoned at my groomer so I took her in until I found her the perfect home. That felt great. I also help people.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:09 AM

7,039 posts, read 6,289,652 times
I love animals. I currently share my space with a cat and we're living a nomadic lifestyle.

At first I was worried about how she would do, but she's proved to be an amazing traveler. She's funny and quirky and I hope we have a long time together.

She's worth every penny I spend.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:23 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Blue Buffalo has no preservatives. When it expires, it must be thrown out because it mold occurs. In 2016 and 2017, many dogs died from moldy Blue Buffalo.

It's also grain free which my vet is totally against.

https://bikehike.org/is-there-a-reca...on_recall_list
Wow, good to know! My kitties wouldn't eat their dry food when I tried it. Why is your vet against grain-free? I don't have to feel guilty if I don't always give them grain-free?

Old 03-14-2022, 11:25 AM

7,076 posts, read 4,517,580 times
Grain free food for dogs causes serious heart disease and many dogs die very young. I don’t know how it affects cats.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
Quote:

I don't know when we got so insanely into the "pet mentality".
The mentality has really increased the last 10 to 15 to 20 years.

It's because U.S. society is lonely sociologically, psychologically, and culturally.

Much more lonely than many other societies in the world.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:58 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The mentality has really increased the last 10 to 15 to 20 years.

It's because U.S. society is lonely sociologically, psychologically, and culturally.

Much more lonely than many other societies in the world.
Perhaps and then again, perhaps some of us have just always been like that, all the way from "Elly May" to......"The more I know about Men, the more I love my dog/cat" (that is, people do tend to be not that trustworthy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement