Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 04:23 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Yes, it is up to you to decide. Want more? Work more. if not your ft job, then another. Those working salaries, could get another job. I should have said "Income" not "paycheck" as it denoted one job held

And you can decide to 1. Get another job replacing the one now. 2 work another job besides the one you got. The employer can't tell you to not work another job.

Actually, pt employees do get benefits (Walmart for example) and while the "Average" week isn't to exceed 29 hours, it was typical of Walmart to have me do 32 one week, 24 the next. As long as the "Average" was 29. It worked out. So as you could see, there's no absolutes.
Yes, sometimes they can. If we wanted to take a second job where I worked, you had to request permission in writing to your department director. The reason was so as to be sure you were not working with a business that did business with our public agency or that you were not working somewhere that would be cause embarrassment or bring on negative press.

I did work a part-time job while I was there many years ago at a lower level, but near the end, there would have been no way to hold another job. I had to respond to emails and calls nights and weekends and if necessary, when.on vacation.

Not everyone has the same options.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:27 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The mentality has really increased the last 10 to 15 to 20 years.

It's because U.S. society is lonely sociologically, psychologically, and culturally.

Much more lonely than many other societies in the world.
I think so too, but I don't understand why. I don't get lonely - even if I AM by myself, it's fine. I can enjoy most anything alone, and in fact I NEED a certainly amount of time to myself. I am more independent than most people so it is hard for me to understand others that seem to desperately need someone or some animal to keep them company. It doesn't seem emotionally healthy to me.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think so too, but I don't understand why. I don't get lonely - even if I AM by myself, it's fine. I can enjoy most anything alone, and in fact I NEED a certainly amount of time to myself. I am more independent than most people so it is hard for me to understand others that seem to desperately need someone or some animal to keep them company. It doesn't seem emotionally healthy to me.

Have you ever had a SO? Someone in your life to be intimate with? You do realize, yes, that not everyone has that and hence, as that intimacy is a basic human need, if you don't have, have never had a SO other in your life, you need some way to compensate.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Meh. Other countries are very pet centric, US doesn't even make the list of pet friendly countries.

New Zealand rules as the most pets per capita.

I think all of your first world countries lean towards pet ownership, it's one of the side effects of having expendable income. We are probably (population in general) to make a chicken into a pet, than cutting off it's head and cooking for dinner.

The more poverty, the less value on human life, what we consider pets, they treat very poorly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-14-2022, 05:45 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The mentality has really increased the last 10 to 15 to 20 years.

It's because U.S. society is lonely sociologically, psychologically, and culturally.

Much more lonely than many other societies in the world.
Really?

Argentina, Mexico and Brazil have highest percentage of pet owners, followed by Russia and USA. So, those in South America are lonelier than us?

https://www.petfoodindustry.com/arti...-dogs-are-tops

Old 03-14-2022, 06:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
"The United States leads the pack of countries with the most pet dogs with 225 dogs per 1,000 people."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...where-you-live

See easy to read graph of countries inside Psychology Today article above.

"In terms of the sheer number of animals, Americans like dogs and cats about equally, with a very slight preference for cats. (The dog/cat ratio in the U.S. is .97 to 1.)"

The U.S. is known as having a lonely sociological, psychological, and cultural structure.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-14-2022 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-14-2022, 09:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Are we only counting dogs as pets for this conversation?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2022, 08:03 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
If loving animals is sick behavior, which some posters here seem to believe, lucky for the millions of animals dying in shelters. Given their growing number, we need MORE crazies!

Honestly, enjoying animal companionship is nothing new (it's been happening since, like, the dawn of man), so I see no reason to view this as pathological or a symptom of loneliness. Nor is it "insane." That's really rather insulting... And anyone who does NOT understand the intense loving bond that can form with a beloved pet has just not been fortunate enough to personally experience it, which is sad, and maybe that's on them. No, it isn't limited to dogs.

What HAS gotten insane is the COST of keeping a companion animal, and my position is that we can resist this to some degree, as I've suggested above. I'm sure these poor animals languishing in shelters, facing euthanasia for lack of space, would rather live "a short, but merry life" in a home without premium pet food and 6-month wellness checks and aggressive treatment in their old age, given the alternative. But owners need to stand firm against it.

IMHO, we need to go back to vet care as it was about 50 years ago; it was better for all concerned. At this point, it's gotten ridiculous. But living with and loving and being loved by pets? That is not and never was ridiculous... It's one of the most beautiful things in life...

Last edited by otterhere; 03-15-2022 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-15-2022, 08:22 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
I agree - we are all different. I actually do love animals (my first choice was to become a vet LOL!), but I do not want them in my own home, and never have understood the "they are my family" thing (although I know many people that feel that way). If others can afford them and can properly take care of them, that's great.
If you can't understand that, to some, pets are family, you wouldn't be my vet. To each their own though. I'd go hungry myself before I'd let my pets go hungry.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:49 AM
JRR

8,163 posts, read 5,654,439 times
Quote:
With a spouse and three cats to keep me company, I guess I therefore would be counted as one who is not emotionally healthy. And here I was under the impression that I was doing pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement