Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 07:15 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times

Advertisements

Chicken is still pretty reasonable, the grilling packages they sell were $1.19/lb on the last trip. Quarters, legs, some selection of meat piled together. I just had the last selection for my dinner.

When I buy them, if they aren't used "immediately" either straight or stew, they get baggied and go in the ice box. Then, when I need a quick meal (especially one that agrees with my blood sugar needs), I pull one out, defrost it and cook it with microwave, use spices, and there you go, cheap and quick.

Vastly okay with frozen often over fresh and do frozen before cans often (meat cans are saved, veggie cans are used) in the interest of stockpiling theory. That is, use the frozen in time of power, use canned when the power is out.

Further, two more notes on my life style.

First, I didn't buy frost free models of freezers because I understand that feature doesn't keep food as long. In order to be frost free, it has to raise and lower the temperature to achieve that and such, is not the best for the food.

Secondly, as frequently said, I am a Cowboy coffee type. Put the water in the pot, put the coffee atop the water, cook it on the stove top that way. Primitive, perhaps, but what am I not spending by having to buy coffee filters, other "modern" things, each month?

There might be something economical to this pioneer life approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm amazed at all the retired people who drive LESS now... While working, I was fortunate enough to be able to walk to work (I specifically chose my house for that reason). I could certainly easily have ridden a bike there... Coworkers who lived farther away from work often used public transportation to commute or carpooled.

Now that I'm retired, however, if I want to do anything at all besides sit in my house staring at the four walls, I have to drive there -- almost always to a neighboring city.

So I'm driving much more in retirement than when I spent eight hours a day working, and other retirees I know are constantly on the road, as well... Is that not the norm?
Ifffy and for that matter, it just may be attitude. Long story short of it, I am happy spending my time at the ranch, in my Fortress of Solitude, and it takes a lot to get me to budge with the car or truck. A recycling run does need to be done (truck), a Grand Tour should be done (car), but they easily get put off.

A justification of such "thought" is, the fuel I am saying.

Some of us just prefer a life of living in the bunker. Now, granted, that state of mind is rather required to live in country, that if one is the kind who needs the entertainment of the town, very soon they would go insane living out here.

BUT, on the other side of the coin, I don't push for a recycling bin but rather to make those runs into town myself. There are a few reasons but the biggest one is probably that I still want to be part of the community, out there, doing something.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-17-2022 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 07:26 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
I'm amazed at all the retired people who drive LESS now... While working, I was fortunate enough to be able to walk to work (I specifically chose my house for that reason). I could certainly easily have ridden a bike there... Coworkers who lived farther away from work often used public transportation to commute or carpooled.

Now that I'm retired, however, if I want to do anything at all besides sit in my house staring at the four walls, I have to drive there -- almost always to a neighboring city, but at least across town.

So I'm driving much more in retirement than when I spent eight hours a day working, and other retirees I know are constantly on the road, as well... Is that not the norm?
I don't sit in my house all day every day staring at the walls.
I say I don't drive much because most things I do are within 10 minutes driving.
Or I walk or I ride my bike.

The car is not in the garage gathering dust.
I move to a more walkable area and with inflation/high gas I'm glad I did.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:44 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:

Now that I'm retired, however, if I want to do anything at all besides sit in my house staring at the four walls, I have to drive there -- almost always to a neighboring city, but at least across town.

I've gone from 15/20K miles a year to, oh 6/8K. I'm not hunting as far afield as I used to (that could be 100 miles plus on a Saturday) in addition to after my mother died a couple or three years prior to my retirement I wasn't putting on 1000 miles a month to take care of her stuff.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:02 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:

I expect it is not as most retired people I know are busy with projects or hobbies at home. I have been working from home for the past 2 years, and my parents passed away in 2020, so those two events have made a massive dent in the amount that I drive. I had a 30 min commute to work and it was that far to my parents house in the opposite direction. The fact that I am retiring will not have much impact on how much I drive, other than the fact that I will be able to travel more, and I am definitely looking forward to that. I used to drive about 25k a year but I think I am probably closer to 10k now.

I don't really know anyone that sits around looking at four walls. Do you not have any hobbies or something that you enjoy doing at home?? I am always working on something - always.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:22 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you are thinking about it you might want to move quickly.
Bike sales are up with many out of stock due to the high gas prices.
Bikes were already hard to get due to the pandemic.

https://www.westernmassnews.com/2022...gh-gas-prices/
No, as I said "If I get lucky" and I'll just bide my time if I don't.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:59 PM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
I live right in town and am close to stores, restaurants, etc. I could see driving a lot if you lived in a rural area. Now that I am divorced I am not taking road trips. Last time I went to California to visit a friend I took the train.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:17 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
I use my 12 year old car almost every day. It has almost 25,000 miles. Everything is close or I wouldn't have moved here. I hate to drive, always did. The price of gas isn't a big deal to me.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:57 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
We have no mortgage or car payments

And thankfully (I guess?) no property taxes either. Our state did away with that for veterans that are rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Administration.

High price to pay
We live in Texas - if you are a 100% disabled vet - you are exempt from paying property tax on your homestead.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-18-2022 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 03-18-2022, 05:19 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Many people are just now having an "aha" moment as inflation has a direct hit on their wallets.
For me, my "aha" moment was last week when I paid nearly $10 for a 4 piece chicken meal at Zaxby's.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...nt-11647595848
Inflation has been a fixture of news headlines for months, as prices ballooned for food, utilities and energy. Many people say the escalations are just now hitting home in their everyday lives. For some, it’s sticker shock while filling up at the pump. For others, it’s the higher price of their morning joe at Starbucks, or the cost of strawberries at the local grocery store.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:29 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Many people are just now having an "aha" moment as inflation has a direct hit on their wallets.
For me, my "aha" moment was last week when I paid nearly $10 for a 4 piece chicken meal at Zaxby's.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...nt-11647595848
Inflation has been a fixture of news headlines for months, as prices ballooned for food, utilities and energy. Many people say the escalations are just now hitting home in their everyday lives. For some, it’s sticker shock while filling up at the pump. For others, it’s the higher price of their morning joe at Starbucks, or the cost of strawberries at the local grocery store.
One of the problems is that we really haven't had inflation above a couple percent for thirty or forty years. Those of us who remember it from then are told we're full of ****.

The same way with the recession in 2008. We hadn't had a full out, industries shutting down, recession since the 1980s, so it came as a shock to a generation that had been born, grown up and started working in an economy that had pretty much been stable for twenty five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement