Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2022, 01:22 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Same.

I WILL have my avocados on Dave's Killer Bread toast no matter what!!
My wife will never stop buying avocados

Old 03-29-2022, 01:38 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My wife will never stop buying avocados
I grew up in Southern California. When I was a kid my dad sprouting an avocado seed and planted it in the backyard. We didn't stay there long enough to get fruit from the tree. No one in the family liked avocados at that point - this was before guacamole. My dad used to say "all the more for me!!"

Old 03-30-2022, 02:19 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I grew up in Southern California. When I was a kid my dad sprouting an avocado seed and planted it in the backyard. We didn't stay there long enough to get fruit from the tree. No one in the family liked avocados at that point - this was before guacamole. My dad used to say "all the more for me!!"
I remember when home avocado trees in SoCal were considered a nuisance by many people. They shed lots of leaves and the fruit dropping was a mess. Back then it was hard to even give avocados away and the mature trees produced fruit constantly. People tried to sell them 10 for $1 and still couldn't get rid of them, and they were the nice large Haas variety better than what grocery stores sell today imported from Mexico.
The world has certainly changed in some strange ways.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I remember when home avocado trees in SoCal were considered a nuisance by many people. They shed lots of leaves and the fruit dropping was a mess. Back then it was hard to even give avocados away and the mature trees produced fruit constantly. People tried to sell them 10 for $1 and still couldn't get rid of them, and they were the nice large Haas variety better than what grocery stores sell today imported from Mexico.
The world has certainly changed in some strange ways.
Thats interesting! I was too young to remember that (or too wrapped up in kidstuff). I remember my dad saying he read that avocado trees take a while to produce fruit. I'll have to ask him if he remembers what type the seed was. That will be an interesting conversation we haven't had yet. I think we were there for about 2-3 more years and it still hadn't produced any edible fruit.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:33 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Avocado trees must cross-pollinate with other avocado trees in order to produce fruit. If you have only one tree, and no others in the .neighborhood, you will never have fruit.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:16 PM

362 posts, read 589,308 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associ...rican_Citizens

joined that but got nothing from it really or is it ok?

Old 03-30-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Avocado trees must cross-pollinate with other avocado trees in order to produce fruit. If you have only one tree, and no others in the .neighborhood, you will never have fruit.
Yeah I remembered that last night after posting but was too sleepy to update My dad was a pretty savvy gardener in his day so he must have known there was another avocado tree in a neighbor's backyard. I'll have to ask him next time I talk him. We're talkin' 1960 here, but his long-term memory is really sharp.

Old 03-30-2022, 05:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,372,853 times
Might have taken a little longer but no other tree is needed - from greenupside.com

An avocado tree will produce fruit 3 to 4 years after planting a tree from a nursery, or 5 to 13 years after planting from seed.

You do not need two avocado trees to get fruit. Avocado flowers contain both male and female parts. However, you will get more fruit with other avocado trees planted nearby.

My MIL had a big avocado tree - would get bags full every time we went. I only get avocados if fairly good price, around here (San Diego) can still get them fairly cheep - the last ones I got maybe a month ago were $0.20 each.

I have been able to get beef and chicken at pretty good prices on sale - around $5/lb for steak or tri-tip and $2/lb for chicken breast. Have seen maybe 10% increase in things like bread, potatoes, flour or rice.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:55 PM

8,369 posts, read 4,377,807 times
I don't eat avocados that often, but I generally eat healthy in retirement. Just went over my credit card bill, which shows that I spent only $170 on food last month, so I must have adapted to inflation somehow. I also snagged a round-trip plane ticket between the East Coast & West Coast for a good deal of $244 (that's a round-trip!). The dentist was $880, ouch ouch, and now I own one less molar tooth, but it was a horrendous abscess, and it needed to be done - fortunately, something that happens pretty rarely.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Avacadoes are okay-ish, but their current popularity is trendy, IMO. It's what all the cool kids are eating (and have been for a few years now). When something on my regular menu skyrockets in price, I will happily find a substitute...but that's just me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement