Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 06:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I didn't say they were unaware of their existence. I'm saying they've only become trendy in the last few years. "The cool kids" now love it, whereas they were indifferent or not a fan before. The same ones who shop at Whole Foods or Trader Joes instead of the local grocery chain. And watch only public television.
Guess we're the cool kids. /lol

Everyone I know has been eating them for decades. Avocado started making the brunch menus about 5 years ago and that became super popular.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-01-2022, 06:54 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
I never had avocado until I moved to Texas and started eating Mexican food.
I was like "What's this green stuff"...guacamole.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:12 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
I think most seniors are still living the same as before. They just spend more for the same things.

Seniors have usually had the highest percentage of disposable income. I don't think it has changed.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:26 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I think most seniors are still living the same as before. They just spend more for the same things.

Seniors have usually had the highest percentage of disposable income. I don't think it has changed.
In my circle people are starting to notice but just recently. They haven't mentioned cutting back or anything though.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:24 PM

425 posts, read 191,422 times
A small portion are doing the RV thing and saving money.

This guy has a HUGE following

https://www.youtube.com/c/CheapRVliving

I believe some Seniors are getting room-mates

Old 04-02-2022, 05:59 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
In my circle people are starting to notice but just recently. They haven't mentioned cutting back or anything though.
Same here. They mention how much something costs now but they still bought it.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:58 AM

322 posts, read 280,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorYetRich View Post
A small portion are doing the RV thing and saving money.

This guy has a HUGE following

https://www.youtube.com/c/CheapRVliving

I believe some Seniors are getting room-mates
I have been watching aLOT of vids on tiny home communities, large school bus made into home for four and I AM ALL FOR IT!! Some of those storage sheds fetch $50,000 when complete. ouch.

It is departing with "things" that get me choked up. My desk. Tufted settee. My mirrored night stand I found at home goods and got 40% off for a little ding in back.

THE Life Uncontained YT shows young couple working on their home: 2 large evergreen shipping boxes. And the mishaps that follow trying to get off grid and think of everything. They worked their tails off - alone. (Other than having boxes raised by crane onto sturdy foundation. )

two kids and four years of showering outside, watching out for the snakes - the home is done.

FOUR YEARS.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:03 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
RVing isn't necessarily the answer. With C*vid, when people became terrified of germs in hotel rooms and restaurants, it skyrocketed in popularity and remained up. The cost of rigs is through the roof, even old used ones, and RV sites are not only often prohibitively expensive now, but also nearly impossible to find unless you book a year in advance. Rugged people can boondock...

Living in a trailer in a trailer park is probably the only "cheap" way to go, but I'm sure the units and lot fees are rising along with everything else.

Last edited by otterhere; 04-02-2022 at 08:21 AM..

Old 04-02-2022, 08:07 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This is anecdotal but I really haven't heard many retirees complaining about prices except maybe for gas.

Now, that might be because of this area and having so many military/FedGov retirees, many of whom kept their CSRS pension, but even the FERS retirees aren't saying much.

I contrast that with the WWII generation of forty or forty five years ago who would ***** and moan about every little thing.

I worked pumping gas when the 1973 oil price increases hit and had some of those old farts actually demand I lower the pump price for them. I, of course, demurred.

In retrospect that may have been the beginning of my becoming known as an arrogant, obnoxious and contrary prick.

No, that was earlier when I was in high school.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:23 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I worked pumping gas when the 1973 oil price increases hit and had some of those old farts actually demand I lower the pump price for them. I, of course, demurred.

In retrospect that may have been the beginning of my becoming known as an arrogant, obnoxious and contrary prick.

No, that was earlier when I was in high school.
Thanks for the chuckle this morning.

I, too, was pumping gas in 1973-1974 while in high school. (Side note: still the only Social Security quarters I ever earned.) My father loved it because he never had to wait in line to have the gas tanks of his and my mother's car filled. I would do that after we closed for the night and turned off all the outside lights.

He was on his own though in 1979.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement