Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2022, 06:48 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,750,713 times

Advertisements

I find that most Chinese takeout lunch combination meals are large enough for lunch and dinner. We often get lunch and eat it later in the afternoon, and then polish off the leftovers for dinner.Even at 8.99 it's a deal. We have a local hibachi (Japanese grill) restaurant and takeout that serves HUGE portions, same price for lunch or dinner, but you can have combos with steak, shrimp, or chicken for about 11.99, so that's a bit more but still large enough to share, or to get a lunch and dinner out of it.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:45 AM

7 posts, read 3,792 times
I see the rise in food and fuel prices, and I crap about them because that is what I do, but overall, it does not really affect our shopping and spending habits to any great degree.

Since I am retired, I have time to clip coupons and watch for sales, so when I see "deals", we stock up the pantry and load up the freezer (14 cubic foot upright in the garage). And I really do not clip physical coupons, I click on the digital coupons on our grocers' websites. And I do not think of it as a chore, but kind of a hobby.

We get takeout about twice a month from local restaurants. Sure, their prices have risen, but it is what it is.

This is why we starting investing and saving in our 20s.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times
So, to go back to the McD's meal.....I'm not really sure what it was for $14....was an order for my granddaughter. I generally don't eat their food..other than as another poster stated, the soft serve ice cream cone for just over $1. I think prices must vary depending on location.

The only fast food we now get regularly is Panda Xpress. The two entree plate is enough for two meals....so it works out to around $5 per meal which is reasonable to me! And I order the string bean chicken which seems somewhat healthy at least!

Old 04-03-2022, 10:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
So, to go back to the McD's meal.....I'm not really sure what it was for $14....was an order for my granddaughter. I generally don't eat their food..other than as another poster stated, the soft serve ice cream cone for just over $1. I think prices must vary depending on location.

The only fast food we now get regularly is Panda Xpress. The two entree plate is enough for two meals....so it works out to around $5 per meal which is reasonable to me! And I order the string bean chicken which seems somewhat healthy at least!
OMG I haven't had Panda Express in over 2 years. That was my go-to fast food. I have to see if we have one.

Otherwise, I end up having fast food (McDs, BK type of places) about once a year. Normally while travelling and few other options to eat and get back on road. I've never really considered them a good deal, and mostly horrible for you.

Our fast food has been a good deli sandwich from a local butcher, or a poke bowl from a local restaurant. $14 for a HUGE bowl of fish and as many vegetables as you want, rice or lettuce for base. If we get it for lunch we normally don't need dinner, AND some left over for next day.

Generally we rarely eat out, but if we do, I'd rather have something really good even if it costs more, and eat out less often. Though right now it would literally be impossible to eat out less. Weather is warming up it may be time to get a nice meal outdoors.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2022, 10:31 AM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
Locally our restaurant prices have really increased. A French dip with fries used to be 11 and is now 16 everywhere. I usually eat lunch out once a week with friends. I go to happy hour with my meetup group and usually have a drink or dessert.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:53 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
MMofB seems to be the only one finding bargains at McDs. Fast food is no longer "cheap" fast food in everyone else's experience, or at least that of those posting here.
Really? There was nothing difficult in pulling up an online menu to show how easy it is to eat at McDonalds for just a few dollars. I'm sure you can pull one up for your closest McDonalds and then you, too, can find these elusive fast food bargains that you claim no one but I can find.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:02 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Really? There was nothing difficult in pulling up an online menu to show how easy it is to eat at McDonalds for just a few dollars. I'm sure you can pull one up for your closest McDonalds and then you, too, can find these elusive fast food bargains that you claim no one but I can find.
McResearch!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2022, 05:25 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You get what you pay for

Old 04-04-2022, 09:15 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
MMofB seems to be the only one finding bargains at McDs. Fast food is no longer "cheap" fast food in everyone else's experience, or at least that of those posting here. My mailman brings me junk flyers that contain fast food coupons. I clip and save those for a special occasion and indulge in ONLY those fast food specials. It gives me the fix I'm craving.
I just launched the McDonald’s application on my iPhone and re-authenticated since I hadn’t used it in ages. The list prices here are higher than for MMoB. The minimum wage is $14.25 so that makes sense. I looked at deals and the $1-$2-$3 menu.

Two McChickens is $3.50. There’s a $1 medium fries deal you can get 1x per day. I generally drink water. So I could order 1,200 calories of McGarbage for $4.50 plus 6.25% meals tax and get it delivered curbside 2 miles from my house.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:26 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
...In retrospect that may have been the beginning of my becoming known as an arrogant, obnoxious and contrary prick.
Sometimes, I wish God had made me an arrogant, obnoxious and contrary prick instead of so damn good-looking.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 04-04-2022 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement