Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 08:27 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

And that's another thing. On the rare occasions I do relent and eat out socially, I'm invariably the only one requesting a "doggie bag" or to-go box. It literally sickens me to see everybody leaving half their food (because they were too busy talking to eat it), knowing it will just be thrown in the trash. Food waste is yet another pet peeve of mine.

Personally, I practice intermittent fasting and eat OMAD, or just one meal a day. However, when I was working and following a "grazing" diet, I always packed my own food wherever I went. Not hard to do. Again, "eating out" is more a social convention than an actual need, and fast food is a convenience thing. I admit that it's also delicious and probably addictive. And, heck, it's fun!

Watch "My 600-Pound Life" on TLC to see fast food and take-out/delivery in all its glory.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:30 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And that's another thing! On the rare occasions I do relent and eat out socially, I'm invariably the only one requesting a "doggie bag" or to-go box. It literally sickens me to see everyone leaving half their food (because they were too busy talking to eat it), knowing it will just be thrown in the trash. Food waste is yet another pet peeve of mine.
We have that in common. When I do eat out though, I view it as a cost for 2 meals in most cases, unless DH and I have a consensus and we split it.

But eating out with friends is normally a bonding thing, so until I moved, meeting friends for brunch or dinner and drinks was definitely a "thing" that was done regularly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2022, 09:05 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
I also don't understand the allure of eating out. It's so very obviously a rip-off!
LOL

Old 04-06-2022, 09:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We have that in common. When I do eat out though, I view it as a cost for 2 meals in most cases, unless DH and I have a consensus and we split it.

But eating out with friends is normally a bonding thing, so until I moved, meeting friends for brunch or dinner and drinks was definitely a "thing" that was done regularly.
Definitely more of a social thing...and really, it's the drinks that kill you! A glass of wine is generally around $6 or $7! When I do go out, which is infrequently these days, I may just order an appetizer and drink to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. But definitely have cut back on both restaurant dining and fast food.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Definitely more of a social thing...and really, it's the drinks that kill you! A glass of wine is generally around $6 or $7! When I do go out, which is infrequently these days, I may just order an appetizer and drink to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. But definitely have cut back on both restaurant dining and fast food.
Because we so rarely eat out, we tend to splurge when we do. Honestly it is mainly when we go to NorCal, they have so much farm to table type restaurants and that's totally our thing. If you add in a good mixologist the bill will be painful. One LUNCH for DH and myself was over $100, BUT we did have a lot of leftovers and a few cocktails. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? It was insanely good food that I would not be able to cook at home, so a big yes.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:17 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We tried out a new Italian restaurant last Friday, and with tip it was $90 for two. Worth it for the great food, but we won't be going there often. The worst though, was ordering flower delivery. I always send them to my wife, on her birthday. In the past it's been as little as $39 delivered, and has gone up every couple of years, but when I ordered them this weekend it was $88, same kind of bouquet, same florist. I checked around and they are all that expensive now. I would grow my own but her birthday is too early in the year for our climate.
My honey gets me bouquet bunches from the supermarket. They are a fraction of the price, and we already have vases at home. My birthday was last week and he got me 2 of them, one long stem roses and one a flower mix. I don't think I miss anything by having them "delivered" from him!

Old 04-06-2022, 11:27 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Our friends like to go out during Happy Hour with its 2-for-1 drinks. I'll just get an appetizer because I get tired of to-go boxes that only I seem to utilize (as someone said above). We all like to be back before dark so this all works out and saves money to boot. The locals come in after dark and we are gone by then so we avoid the crowds too. And the bill is only about $35 with 6 drinks, one appetizer, one meal. But it's mainly the social aspect that's valuable to us. And of course, just getting out. All the cafes are outdoors too.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:31 AM

Both my husbands knew not to buy me flowers, buy my something I can pot or plant.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Our friends like to go out during Happy Hour with its 2-for-1 drinks. I'll just get an appetizer because I get tired of to-go boxes that only I seem to utilize (as someone said above). We all like to be back before dark so this all works out and saves money to boot. The locals come in after dark and we are gone by then so we avoid the crowds too. And the bill is only about $35 with 6 drinks, one appetizer, one meal. But it's mainly the social aspect that's valuable to us. And of course, just getting out. All the cafes are outdoors too.
I don't know why "socializing" today always has to involve eating and, specifically, "going out to eat." There are other things to do!

Old 04-06-2022, 11:46 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I also don't understand the allure of eating out. It's so very obviously a rip-off! Some enjoy the social aspect, as it's almost always done with others and seems to be required by friend groups, despite every member having a home in which to entertain. Some enjoy the feeling of being served and waited on; I often hear "I deserve this." I suppose some are just lazy (I am, too, but I'm more likely to open a can of something or zap a frozen dinner than pay out the wazoo for take-out). Then there are probably quite a few young people who haven't the foggiest idea how to prepare ANY food, however simple, because they've grown up eating take-out, drive-thru, or restaurant food all their lives. I hike with people, and when I pass on the meal out afterwards, it's frowned upon; I was even once told "it's part of it." I get it, but the upcharges are ridiculous!
It's not seen by everyone as a "rip-off". It is that if you are comparing the cost of purchasing and cooking food for yourself against paying what you pay in a restaurant, but money is not always the only factor by which everyone makes their decisions.

When dining out, one is simply not paying for food. At a restaurant, the patron pays for the privilege of having someone else shop for, cook, and serve their meals and clean up afterward. Then there are additional features that one might consider paying for such as dining in a certain location; for example, a restaurant with a view of the ocean or to sample the talents of a particular chef. And of course there is the social aspect of sharing meals out with others whose company you enjoy.

If one is focused on the basic monetary value of the food alone, then no, one would not enjoy dining out, I imagine.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-06-2022 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement