Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 08:15 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I would bet you are not a 5 foot tall, 115 pound woman. We smaller people tend to eat less.
I'm a 5'0" female and have no trouble putting away the food. I have a very robust appetite! I had an aunt who lived on lettuce, and I WISH I were satisfied eating tiny little portions, but I'm not... The average woman is supposed to eat at least 1200 calories a day just to meet her daily caloric needs to keep her metabolism from slowing. That's never a problem for me! Love my food. But I do try to make very thrifty choices when buying it.

As for stockpiling, sounds like a smart idea to me between supply chain issues and steadily increasing costs. We may or may not be on the verge of apocalypse, but never say never...

Old 04-07-2022, 09:52 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Reread the thread title.
No need. I know the title.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:53 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm a 5'0" female and have no trouble putting away the food. I have a very robust appetite! I had an aunt who lived on lettuce, and I WISH I were satisfied eating tiny little portions, but I'm not... The average woman is supposed to eat at least 1200 calories a day just to meet her daily caloric needs to keep her metabolism from slowing. That's never a problem for me! Love my food. But I do try to make very thrifty choices when buying it.

As for stockpiling, sounds like a smart idea to me between supply chain issues and steadily increasing costs. We may or may not be on the verge of apocalypse, but never say never...
LOL. No, that doesn't happen.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:18 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. No, that doesn't happen.
Here you go.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...ie-requirement
1600 calories are needed for a person who is sedentary.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I don’t know anyone that is stockpiling food or goods. Once a month I buy all the dog food and my food for a month.
As I said, to each their own.....but as I pointed out, when this pandemic started, I had to buy liquid buttermilk because the powdered was not available at the stores. Buy it, put it in baggies of serving size, freeze it.

But....whatever works for you.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:26 PM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
Eating less than 1600 calories a day can really slow down your metabolism. I am 67, exercise daily and count my calories. It’s the only way I can keep from gaining weight.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:36 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Really? There's a reason they put the little hamburger or cheeseburger in the kids' meal: because that's who it fills up. I happen to love Big Macs, Quarter Pounders, etc. and find the small fry insufficient. Maybe I'm gluttonous or something... But I DO eat just once a day, so I need my calories! It's true that the tiny burger is cheap, but it's mostly bread; very little meat/protein. If I'm away from home all day and my mealtime rolls around, I will hit the drive-thru, but again, using whatever coupons I've managed to clip.

Re: cell phone use, after inquiring on the "Frugal" forum, I concluded that my current Tracfone, buying minutes and service days as needed (online; cheaper than in-store cards), was the best option.
Well, I don't get a kid-sized burger, and the place I went to doesn't even have kids' meals (it is a chain not in the US--as a matter of fact, when I went to download the app to get deals it told me that the app wasn't available in my country. I guess it knows by my number that it's an American phone even though I am in Canada.) But it's a normal-sized burger, not a supersized thing and not covered with any gloppy sauce.

I am not sure I have ever had a McDonald's burger at all. Until last year, I know I had an Egg McMuffin once and I had chicken nuggets with one of my sisters. And I have had McDonald's fries. Then because I was traveling long distances from a rural area to hospitals transporting a person who loves fast food but has swallowing issues, we would stop at McDonald's for the fish sandwiches en route because that was one of the few choices along the way, so I ate a few of them. Liked it, too. Also tried a chicken sandwich with spicy mayonnaise. I grew up with Burger King, not McDonald's. Used to get the double cheeseburger, but I haven't had one of those in years because the last time I did, I didn't feel well for a couple of days.

I could not eat just once a day. That wouldn't work for me. I get too hungry. I can see someone who eats that way wanting a big meal.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-07-2022 at 11:48 PM..

Old 04-07-2022, 11:39 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Are we in competition to see who eats the least? I lose! But eating like a bird will certainly be a boon to anyone in this economy (getting back on topic).
No, I would. I could eat myself into being a blimp, but I won't. I find I do best eating smaller meals more frequently. I cannot function when I'm hungry. I get cranky and mean.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:14 AM

1,380 posts, read 722,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I would. I could eat myself into being a blimp, but I won't. I find I do best eating smaller meals more frequently. I cannot function when I'm hungry. I get cranky and mean.
Ha! This reminds me of a thread on the Health and Wellness forum.. https://www.city-data.com/forum/comm...-cake-pie.html

I could eat a lot of pie or cake. Yikes! But I don't.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:44 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
The average woman is supposed to eat at least 1200 calories a day just to meet her daily caloric needs to keep her metabolism from slowing
Very true. I must exercise if I'm only eating 1200. If I'm too sedentary it doesn't matter how much I cut the calories down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement