Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 03:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times

Advertisements

A couple of notes about living on a fixed income. When ever I say to my kids that their parents live on a fixed income they roll their eyes and make a comment which I find funny and enjoyable. They laugh because fixed income is a term that for many has a connotation that is different from its denotation.

Social Security and Pensions with a COLA are not fixed income. As they change with inflation.

A few years ago a frequent poster in this forum who was still working with a retired spouse complained about the following.
They both either had or were still working in the same school district. The working spouse didn't get any raise either COLA or step increase while their retired spouse got a COLA with their pension. The irony didn't thrill them.

The thread topic was similar to difference and the moral of the story was which one of the couple had the fixed income the worker or the retiree? Both? Neither?

Old 12-16-2021, 04:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
FWIW. Hormones are prohibited in poultry
Also milk. Care to get a bill for $64K? Milk collectors test every milk supply before adding to the tanker. If they find out you did have antibiotics in the milk, they dispose of the milk, YOU get the bill

Luckily, only two tankers registered for antibiotics out of 10,000 tankers.

I was stunned to know this.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:40 PM

14,931 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Their burgers have chili, cheese, tomato and onions - the 8 patty burger is closer to $30 (4 lbs of beef & about 10,000 calories) - if add bacon (40 slices) add about another $8. Have been by it, never eaten there. I am more likely to eat about a block away - $15 prime rib dinner at the El Cortez.
Are these supposed to be single servings, or shared with a few other people?

Old 12-16-2021, 05:48 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Also, it is not available in every state, in fact it may be only available in major cities, but there is an insurance company called MetroMile. You literally get charged for the mileage you drive. I have never checked into it because I’ve been with my insurance company so long my insurance rates are low.
We have metromile:
latest bill ending 12/15: $47.43; Base coverage $41.23 mostly for high liability; Milage 57 @11.4c/mi $6.13;
eastside of Seattle, Redmond WA. We live in a high walkscore area. Past month has been very wet, and no doctor apptmts. They do have capped rates. Credit scoring is no longer allowed in WA state, which gave us a $5 base rate cut. MetroMile gives you a try before you buy. Our savings was significant over our previous gecko.
Disclaimer: I own the stock, negative 50%.
YMMV.

Last edited by leastprime; 12-16-2021 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 05:54 PM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
That is not available from my insurer.
Then shop around.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:58 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
After I lost my husband I really did not want to cook. I lived on boxed salad. Add some cherry tomatoes and feta cheese and you have lunch. At night sauté a few scallops takes four minutes put them in a salad with some tomatoes and you have dinner. Add a slice of whole grain bread and you’re done. It’s not exciting but it is healthy and relatively cheap.
I lived on wine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-16-2021, 06:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
We get a lower rate on our backup car. We told the insurance company we never drive it, and they lowered the insurance a bit. But yeah, I've always been asked how many miles I drive when I start with a new insurance company.

I've cut back on our meat consumption drastically. Whereas before I would buy something just because I thought I may need it someday, I'm a little more selective now. I'll probably go from the more expensive coffee we buy to Kirkland brand, just little things here and there.

If our budget was super tight I would switch to potato / rice casseroles, bean soups and stews, more pasta, and stuff like that.

There are many ways to stretch food dollars, and I would hope by the time you got to retirement you would have a general idea.

Eating out would definitely be off the menu.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-16-2021, 06:18 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
That is not available from my insurer.
That's why you have to check other insurance companies every few years. You might be surprised at how much you can save by switching.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:19 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That's why you have to check other insurance companies every few years. You might be surprised at how much you can save by switching.
Between local and national options, though, it's overwhelming; easier to stay with the devil you know!

Old 12-16-2021, 06:22 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Between local and national options, though, it's overwhelming; easier to stay with the devil you know!
You can go online to get comparisons. No obligation.

Or call a broker who will search different options for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement