Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2022, 06:26 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
"buffet" makes me wonder if people have seen differences at buffets.
Yes. I enjoy trying the lunch buffets at Indian restaurants and during C-19 almost all were shut down here in the Chicago area. As they are reopening, I've noticed reduced offerings. In the past most would have 6-8 meat, 6-8 veg offerings, various salads and desserts. Now the meat and veg offerings have been cut in half, salads and desserts are just basic or have been eliminated. I'm looking forward when this will change as the walk in business increases.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:23 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
My wife is stay at home so we try to do take out once a week and once a month we go out to dinner to give her a bit of a break but we are also seeing the same things with smaller portions and increased prices. Our usual go-to for take out pizza recently reduced the overall diameter of their pizza's by almost two inches.

Definitely getting tougher for restaurants to keep up with the prices, same with the grocery stores. My wife is constantly remarking how package sizes are shrinking and prices are jumping.

It is not killing us budget wise but as with others comments, inflation has definitely affected restaurants and grocery's for the consumer.
Was awhile ago I began to notice the fewer amount of chips in a bag of potato chips. The higher cost of a pack of cigarettes. The smaller containers and higher costs of smaller containers of ice cream...

Which in the case of so many of these unhealthy products, maybe less at higher cost is a good thing! Might help the fight against the rising costs of obesity and heart problems anyway!

Old 05-01-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
That's about how much they are here, even for the downsized versions.
Try In-N-Out.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:26 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Try In-N-Out.
I just heard we'll be getting our first one by 2025. I'll be first in line.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I got a deal last night. Free pizza! We decided to order, so I did it online with a popular chain that has the best pizza in this pizza-and-Italian-food wasteland in which I currently reside and suffer from the lack of same.

I got a response that my order was received and expected arrival was 40 minutes later.

So I waited, and I waited, and finally 25 minutes past the expected time, I called.

Well, you don't get the actual shop that you called, Oh no. I got a call center somewhere where somebody with an Indian accent answered after five minutes of really painful music that sounded like an old tape recorder that was broken. They said they'd call the shop, and a minute later came back on and said my order had never printed out, and since they have a policy that you get your pizza in 40 minutes or it's free, which I didn't even know, I'd be getting free pizza in ten to fifteen minutes!

By the time I got it, it was and hour and a half after my order was placed, and I was hangry, but hey, it was free. I did tip the delivery dude, because it wasn't his fault, and he said they had printer problems.
We had a similarly disastrous wait for a pizza one night in Elko, Nevada after a day of traveling. A Pizza Hut I think it was. We finally got our pizza at no charge and the woman who waited quite awhile before us got her's free of charge too. And we were right there in the restaurant the whole time!

Just this week we had a new Round Table Pizza open up in a small shopping center very close to our home. My wife insists they make the best pizzas, and sure enough when we went to support their recent opening. We biked there in fact. Our pizza was plenty good and tasty. We did think that next time we'll call it in before we arrive, so we don't have to wait there for the pizza to be made. We'll see how that goes next time around...

Meanwhile, we mostly prefer to prepare our own food, including our own pizzas. Typically with a thin Boboli pizza crust. Nothing like do it yourself to get the perfection and healthier meal one prefers...

Old 05-01-2022, 09:32 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Someone got 3 BK burgers. Cost: $20. They said it was $13 last year.
they are 1.99 each here in the USA

Old 05-01-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Heart Attack Grill. The Triple Bypass Burger.

Quadruple Bypass Burger.

A while back, some guy polished off an Octuple Bypass Burger

That's eight half-pound beef patties, 40 slices of bacon, 16 slices of cheese, a whole onion, two tomatoes and chili. Plus the buns. It weighs a whopping 6.5 pounds, about four pounds of which is the meat.

The Octuple Bypass Burger costs $24.02. The 40 bacon slices cost an additional $7.39. Flatliner Fries, deep fried in pure lard, are a mere $1.85.
I always wonder who has the size mouth to manage those skyscraper burgers. I prefer the single deckers with cheddar cheese, and I normally order two, with fries and a milk...

Old 05-01-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
I just heard we'll be getting our first one by 2025. I'll be first in line.
I grew up in L.A., very close to their first one in Baldwin Park...

As a result, In-N-Out became a regular spot for me and my friends since we came of driving age. Especially for those late night meals that never disappointed. Took awhile for them to finally show up here in Northern California where I later settled, and until they finally did I surely missed having them around. Over the course of quite a few decades now, I've always ordered the same thing except it was with a coke in my early years. Switched that for a milk later on, and all the while those burgers always taste the same and far as I'm concerned, just can't be beat! Good price point too.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:15 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Which in the case of so many of these unhealthy products, maybe less at higher cost is a good thing! Might help the fight against the rising costs of obesity and heart problems anyway!
Even if you banned 90% of unhealthy food, you'll still have these issues. It's not totally a food issue, it's portion, exercise, mental, genetics, medication and marketing issue.

1. Genetics
Obesity has a strong genetic component. Children of parents with obesity are much more likely to have obesity than children of lean parents.

2. Engineered Junk Foods
Heavily processed foods are often little more than refined ingredients mixed with additives.

3. Food Addiction
Many sugar-sweetened, high-fat junk foods stimulate the reward centers in your brain

7 more. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_8

I was lucky I quit smoking, but even when packs hit $7 each, I'd be rolling my own, cost was maybe $2 a pack. Plus, there were places that you would have cigarette shoplifters sell fresh packs for $3-$4.

I learned a lesson for eating rice. I'd get off work at midnight, get my parking spot and make rice, chicken and soup two cups worth. Then sleep. Rice was as cheap as dirt, chicken $1 soup $.50 cents. In two months, gained 20 lbs.

Doc wasn't happy. So I switched it to mornings (before all my work) and did a bit better. But still bad habits stick around

Old 05-01-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Even if you banned 90% of unhealthy food, you'll still have these issues. It's not totally a food issue, it's portion, exercise, mental, genetics, medication and marketing issue.

1. Genetics
Obesity has a strong genetic component. Children of parents with obesity are much more likely to have obesity than children of lean parents.

2. Engineered Junk Foods
Heavily processed foods are often little more than refined ingredients mixed with additives.

3. Food Addiction
Many sugar-sweetened, high-fat junk foods stimulate the reward centers in your brain

7 more. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_8

I was lucky I quit smoking, but even when packs hit $7 each, I'd be rolling my own, cost was maybe $2 a pack. Plus, there were places that you would have cigarette shoplifters sell fresh packs for $3-$4.

I learned a lesson for eating rice. I'd get off work at midnight, get my parking spot and make rice, chicken and soup two cups worth. Then sleep. Rice was as cheap as dirt, chicken $1 soup $.50 cents. In two months, gained 20 lbs.

Doc wasn't happy. So I switched it to mornings (before all my work) and did a bit better. But still bad habits stick around
Needless to say, reducing some of these health-related problems is a multifaceted effort. Believe me I know...

I quit smoking over a decade ago, and I'm married to a very health-oriented vegetarian redhead, going on over 30 years now. I thought we were doing pretty well when it comes to doing most things healthy, including our daily walks of 10K steps or more, but at the end of last year my doctor pointed out my blood pressure readings were headed in the wrong direction. Suggested we start talking about blood pressure medication. Now in my mid-sixties without needing any prescription drugs, I was not at all inclined to go the way of drugs rather than up my game by doing more exercise. Eating even better. Drinking less. Losing some weight. Now it's been biking or basketball six days a week in addition to strength training, and I'm happy to report after about two months of hard at it, it's been working!

My blood pressure readings (which I now take at home about every week), are headed back into the range of normal. Also needless to say, the higher cost of anything tends to cause people to buy less of those products, and in the case of so much that's unhealthy on all supermarket shelves, this too is a good thing.

Rice! We just recently came to realize how much healthier black rice is over brown or white, so now we're buying only black rice though considerably more expensive than brown or white. Check into it. Tasty too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement