Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 01:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

Very strange to hear about all these children who deemed something "too sweet" when we're born with an innate preference for sweetness and kids overwhelmingly like candy and dessert, but okay...

Loved the Chef as a kid and still do on occasion! The mac-n-cheese and cheese ravioli are my favorites.

Spaghettios kept in my desk drawer and eaten right out of the can (with a fork to minimize sauce) was my emergency go-to food at work for unexpected overtime. Yum!

And still economical. So far.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
For making hard/medium/soft boiled eggs, and for making poached eggs, I've switched to one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Gourmet...602894&sr=8-38
That's been on my AMZ list for awhile.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-03-2022, 02:16 PM

768 posts, read 858,938 times
Cook your own food and figure out meals before you hit the store. It isn't difficult to plan your meals and then check what you have on hand and figure out a meal to make with that. You can put any ingredient or combination of foods and find a recipe you can make. If you insist on fast food, you will pay more "fast" prices for it. How do you think that the price of chicken and beef are not affecting that group? Affects us all. We have curtailed restaurant visits dramatically.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:44 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I ate Chef Boyardee once when I was young. Just wanted to try it after watching all the commercials - yuck!

yes it was way too sweet.
Exactly!

Little did I realize that when I made my somewhat flippant comment about Chef Boyardee in an attempt to find a disgusting parallel to Domino's, I would inadvertently send the thread off on a tangential discussion of the merits of Chef Boyardee, and of all things, SpagettiOs, lol.

This reminds me somewhat of one of those SAT-like language questions from long ago:

Domino's is to pizza as ______ is to pasta.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:10 PM

Turns out my grocery is having a $1 sale on the Chef, so - inspired by this thread - I bought a few. Enjoying some Spaghetti and Meatballs as I speak. Tasty and cheap. Cheers!

Old 05-03-2022, 06:23 PM

88,556 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We were in Scotland at a restaurant in the country where the cuisine is much as you describe during your youth, and someone at the table ordered Shephard's pie. When it landed on the table, it looked so good, we all had to have a taste (except my wife the vegetarian of course). Next thing, as quickly as we could, we ordered a couple more Shephard's pies to share between all of us. To this day, we all talk about that dish that was by far and away the best tasting Shephard's pie we have ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

I'm going to have to check my record of pictures to find out what town and restaurant that was, because I can't remember anymore, but I'll never forget the taste of that pie!
Tell your wife I can make a kickass vegan shepherd's pie!

Old 05-03-2022, 09:13 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Cook your own food and figure out meals before you hit the store. It isn't difficult to plan your meals and then check what you have on hand and figure out a meal to make with that. You can put any ingredient or combination of foods and find a recipe you can make. If you insist on fast food, you will pay more "fast" prices for it. How do you think that the price of chicken and beef are not affecting that group? Affects us all. We have curtailed restaurant visits dramatically.
There's a wonderful app which you enter all ingredients and it produces dozens of recipies or hundreds in seconds

It's called "Supercook" work for vegan, vegetarian and us meat eaters too.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:02 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
I still buy Chef Boiardi ravioli. Maybe have a can a week for a quick meal when I'm not that hungry.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I still buy Chef Boiardi ravioli. Maybe have a can a week for a quick meal when I'm not that hungry.
Quick and easy, and my S&M had only 6 grams of sugar per can, so not sure where "too sweet" came from.

No shame in my game!

Old 05-04-2022, 10:56 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
Aww Man!.....Brings back memories of when I was rather obese....Used to eat The Chef's Ravioli and Beefaroni straight out of the can...not even heating it...used to add crumbled Ritz crackers to it...to make it even saltier(tastier).

Paying for it now with Type2 and consequential P.A.D....The damage is done...Almost crying here now...

Is this a form of PTSD?
My Type II was probably caused by alcohol and living life on full after burners, using ambition to cover hunger pangs, to fool myself to what my body was telling me.

As it is, I did not get into canned spaghetti till about 2012. I really never had it and then, a co worker in astonishment that I had never eaten the stuff, got me into it. Then, having that kind of money, I bought many, many cans. I still have many, many cans.

They were my "out of work" supply but now, they are my guest and passing traveler supply. Not okay for me, but okay for others if they need a meal.

Once okay for a cheap meal source but now.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement