Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 09:04 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Got a wild hair and stopped for a small DQ cone, which used to be around $1.

Now about $2.50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Used to be a nickel.
Yeah things do have a habit of going up in price over years or decades. I remember buying comic books for 12¢ and buying a gallon of gas for 32.9¢. Those were the days.

But then again, there are quite a few things that have gone down in price too. When my wife was working at a department store in 1982, microwave ovens were selling for $800. That would be $2,439 today. I also remember paying roughly $800 for a VCR in 1986 ($2,098), and $2,499 for a 40" "big screen" tv that same year ($6,555). These days you can buy a 43" 4K ultra high definition smart tv for $240, which would be less than 1/10 the 1986 price without even adjusting for inflation. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westing...?skuId=6489041

I also remember one of my first cell phone plan contracts in the early 90s. It was $39/month which included only 30 minutes of talk time between 7am - 7pm, and 60 minutes of talk time at night. Anything above that was some ridiculous cost per minute. And that was only good in your immediate area. If you travelled anywhere, there were "roaming" charges. You were also charged a nickel or a dime a text IIRC. That $39/month with extremely limited minutes would equate to $81/month in 2022 dollars. However, these days you can get a plan for $40 or $45 that includes unlimited calling, texting, and data, which can be used anywhere at any time. (And I didn't even mention the cost of the phone itself or how monstrous in size those early phones were.)

In around 1996 or so, I bought my first home computer from Gateway. It was a monstrosity with very little computing power and cost roughly $2,000. That would be $3,724 today, at a time when you can go to BestBuy and get a much more powerful chromebook for $77. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6389851. Would you rather pay $77 or $3,700 for a computer today?

So yeah, most items go up in price over time; you can't get an ice cream cone for a nickel anymore, but many high-value, expensive items, have come way, way, way, down in price, too. Somehow, these always get overlooked when people complain about the ravages of inflation.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
But the jump from $1 to $2.50 is recent. Yet it shouldn't surprise us...

Old 05-07-2022, 10:21 AM

43,074 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
But the jump from $1 to $2.50 is recent. Yet it shouldn't surprise us...
That's right. Create $15 trillion out of nothing over the past 2 years, lower the interest rate to 0% and you'll get inflation. But the Fed said not to worry...they had everything under control and inflation would not top 2%.

Boy were they wrong....yet again.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:22 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Back in the day there was a Fedco store in Pasadena CA. I remember when in the mid 60s my great aunt would drive us over there while we visited her and she would buy us soft serve ice cream cones for a nickel. Those are happy memories.
Back in the day, there was a Save-On drugstore in my area with cones for a nickel too, but they were real ice-cream, not soft-serve. In Orange County.

Across the street was Baskin-Robbins where the cones were 50 cents!

I guess if we are doing anything different these days, it would be staying put until the situation settles down. If it ever does.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:18 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Chicken breasts went up again here. 1.90/lb pre covid to 3.00 yesterday.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:34 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Yeah, we are still mostly eating from our freezer for meats.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-07-2022, 07:02 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Funny how these changes in taste can work too...

I grew up in a home where mom always did the cooking and she always included a liberal helping of salt in just about every dinner we ate. Always tasted awfully tasty to me! Then I married a very health-conscious woman who insisted on using less salt while cooking. Whether she was doing the cooking or I was doing the cooking.

Took me awhile, but today I don't add salt to anything I cook. Either does my wife except just enough that is within healthy tolerance range, and of course that ain't much. Since we eat out sometimes, that's more generally when we get some salt intake. Always at In-N-Out for example, but since fast food is not all that often, we consume very little salt.

Same with sugar, though in the case of sugar, I was raised in a home where no sugar-water (soda) was made available. The opposite for my wife who's parents were big on drinking sodas and still are. Lots of sugar. Both her parents are a bit overweight and not in the best of health today in large part because of a host of bad habits like that. Our better habits along these lines is helping me to keep from the need for blood pressure medication (or any other medication at this point for that matter).

All to say, that although I used to love the taste of salt in my food, now I love the food we cook here at home, and I don't even notice the fact that there is no salt added. When we do eat anything with typical amounts of salt added, it tastes way too salty to us now too. Just as you describe. I suspect most people don't realize their taste largely depends on what they are used to eating without thinking too much about what goes into their food or how it can be just as tasty with healthier ingredients rather than unhealthy ones.

Please pass the ketchup!
Ketchup is salty. That said, I use only garlic on lamb and beef, then dip in ketchup when eating. Still a lot less salt that the standard American diet.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was a teenager anyone who played sports had to be taking salt tablets, on the assumption that in the American diet none of us was getting enough salt.

In my late 20s we were living in a Southern region, I was attending college and working full time literally digging ditches, when one of my housemates 'Steve' passed out from heat stroke. Steve is of Hispanic descent. All around us were a lot of Hispanics working outside in the hot sun. I had just assumed that they were immune from heat stroke. In the weeks that followed during Steve's recovery, he was advised to start taking salt tablets like the Whites had to take.

Now that I am in my 60s, it seems that salt usage has reversed itself.
I remember my father taking salt tablets in the summer when doing physical work. It was because when you sweat heavily you lose salt.

Today most people get too much salt and most don't do physical labor.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:59 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
You actually don't even have to worry about excess salt unless you have high blood pressure or heart failure. It exacerbates those conditions; it doesn't CAUSE them...

But here we are still discussing diets instead of the cost of them.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
You actually don't even have to worry about excess salt unless you have high blood pressure or heart failure. It exacerbates those conditions; it doesn't CAUSE them...

But here we are still discussing diets instead of the cost of them.
This is also a food discussion. Anyway, 70% of us seniors have high blood pressure. However, recent information says that not everyone's hypertension is affected by salt.

According to the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 70% of adults ≥65 years have hypertension.Feb 26, 2020

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pCfh7Cx9NqAuL1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement