Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2022, 04:12 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times

Advertisements

All I know is, using Pick Up, which requires a minimum order amount, that I was ordering only every 2 weeks to exceed the minimum. Now, I'm way over the minimum before the week is out.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:16 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A note of food for thought about buying I bonds. The interest rate is set twice a year in November and April. The current 7.12% will be replaced by a yet to be determined rate. The rate is good for one year from the issuance date of the bond. We are all excited about the 7.12% currently available and many are rushing to buy the maximum amount they can now.
However we have had three months of even hotter inflation reads and it is entirely possible the rate set in April will be higher than the current 7.12%. If a buyer shoots their entire load now and buys the maximum they will not be able to take advantage of what could be a higher rate available in a few months.
So the decision is do you buy all in now or wait and see
New rate: The initial interest rate on new Series I savings bonds is 9.62 percent. You can buy I bonds at that rate through October 2022.

Old 05-10-2022, 11:04 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
New rate: The initial interest rate on new Series I savings bonds is 9.62 percent. You can buy I bonds at that rate through October 2022.
I think I posted a comment about these bonds earlier on, and we bought two (one each my wife and I), but that was before the rate went up even higher! A one downside to buying these bonds. Buying them too early, because $10K is the limit for one person...

Old 05-10-2022, 12:40 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Butter seems crazy expensive lately. It's cheaper in the drugstore chain, and Thursday is old-lady discount day when you get 20% off regular prices, so I got my butter there. But still, it's way too expensive. We go through a lot of butter.
Why so much butter? I stopped eating bread a couple years ago, and I always liked lots of butter on it, but no more bread, too fattening.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:48 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Saw in the paper today that our electricity company (Dominion) will be raising prices - those of use on a fixed income (NO comments from the peanut gallery) - are being hard hit.
Fixed income is a very nebulous term and can be very misleading. My friend, who largely worked for herself all these years, gets $750 a month, social security, I get $1200 a month, my cousin gets $1800 a month.

Fixed income yes, but many use it for sympathy. I've heard it used too often in my 55+ community, and a few of them that throw that fixed income line at me, I know more about them than they think. A number of people in this community sold their overpriced CA homes, moved here, bought a $60k mobile home, and shoved the other proceeds into the bank.

Can I get a discount, I'm on a Fixed income.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:52 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think I posted a comment about these bonds earlier on, and we bought two (one each my wife and I), but that was before the rate went up even higher! A one downside to buying these bonds. Buying them too early, because $10K is the limit for one person...
There's no downside to buying them when you did. You're still going to get that 9.62% when your bond adjusts after six months of ownership. So if you bought them in January, for example, the rate will adjust up to 9.62% in July.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:14 PM

357 posts, read 225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you have the cash to spare, you and your wife can each buy an I Bond for each other in your respective gift boxes at the current 9.62%.

Then in 2023, you send the gift bonds you bought to each other in lieu of buying for yourselves in 2023.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
If you have the cash to spare, you and your wife can each buy an I Bond for each other in your respective gift boxes at the current 9.62%.

Then in 2023, you send the gift bonds you bought to each other in lieu of buying for yourselves in 2023.
So I-bonds have gone up in value? Good, because I forgot to buy some before April 30!

Old 05-10-2022, 09:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Fixed income is a very nebulous term and can be very misleading. My friend, who largely worked for herself all these years, gets $750 a month, social security, I get $1200 a month, my cousin gets $1800 a month.

Fixed income yes, but many use it for sympathy. I've heard it used too often in my 55+ community, and a few of them that throw that fixed income line at me, I know more about them than they think. A number of people in this community sold their overpriced CA homes, moved here, bought a $60k mobile home, and shoved the other proceeds into the bank.

Can I get a discount, I'm on a Fixed income.
Anyone working for a salary, for that matter, is on a "fixed income," as are trust fund babies.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:11 AM

45,350 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Which drugstore chain sells butter and gives old ladies 20% off on Thursdays?
CVS here sells grocery items (milk, bread, coffee, butter, creamer, etc.) as well as medicines. Some are little grocery stores and carry a selection of a larger grocery with canned and fresh vegetables, frozen foods, etc. The one in Ocean City, MD is like that.

The CVS closest to me does not but the one where I fill my prescriptions is like the first one I described.

The reason I go to one further away is due to it just becoming a CVS so I've been patronizing the original longer. Also, I found the closer one could screw up a one float parade when it was a private pharmacy (countless wrong prescriptions) and that hasn't changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement