Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2022, 08:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
My luxury is getting the grass cut and maintained, corner unit and not a blade behind the fence. Being nice to my folks by paying cash, not griping and handing out water has paid off. No price increase! Considering how fertilizer and weed treatments have gone up - I am moving up to sports drinks for the crew.
So the grass you mentioned in the crab meat post was about getting your lawn cut? Could have said that when I asked.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:13 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I buy my waygu beef at kings - local NJ high end grocery store - in the butcher dept.. Have used it for years in my Irish beef stew recipe. 1 pound cut up in chunks for 6 servings. I that cut because it is lower in cholesterol, doesn’t have to cook long to soften up and has a strong flavor that holds up to the stout. I eat very little red meat and this is a great way to indulge while cutting out some of the usual bad stuff associated with beef.
I also use it in other stew like recipes like beef Bourgogne.
I used to only use lean sirloin but waygu is much better. Price per serving is not outrageous and it is a one pot healthy dinner.
Ha, I know Kings. There is one in my hometown. Haven't been in awhile because I'm in a different part of Jersey now and/or Canada.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
With these gas prices? Time for that oceanfront condo and DONE.
Quote:
Then there is hurricane and other such nuisance insurance
Valid point. I'm on the HOA board of my condo. After "Superstorm Sandy", there was only one insurer taking on condos within 2 miles of the ocean, and they were naming their price. Fortunately, we are six miles inland.

Even our insurance (I am talking about the exterior building and property insurance, which makes up 24% of the HOA fee, not your own "walls-in" unit insurance) went up after Sandy, and we had minimal damage--lost a gutter or two.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Valid point. I'm on the HOA board of my condo. After "Superstorm Sandy", there was only one insurer taking on condos within 2 miles of the ocean, and they were naming their price. Fortunately, we are six miles inland.

Even our insurance (I am talking about the exterior building and property insurance, which makes up 24% of the HOA fee, not your own "walls-in" unit insurance) went up after Sandy, and we had minimal damage--lost a gutter or two.
But I'd rent it out during peak tourist season, so that should cover it. (No, I'm not squeamish.)

Old 05-17-2022, 07:06 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
It's a question of picking your poison.
Pick yours wisely.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:09 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
But I'd rent it out during peak tourist season, so that should cover it. (No, I'm not squeamish.)
Many properties do not allow that, and fewer and fewer are. If renters are bad, short term rentals are worse.

I was on the board of our SFH condo community (CCR? I forget), but we found one trying to their upstairs as AirBNB and one whole home, and our attorneys shut that down fast. Which is being followed by the whole darn island of Oahu not allowing short term rentals (less than 6 months? )
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-17-2022, 08:10 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Ours are $7.99 (and up) in Podunk USA. I'm moving to the coast!
I just looked. The strip mall Chinese place 1/2 mile from here is $6.95 for most of their lunch combos and $7.75 for General Gao’s. It’s about 3/4 miles from my beach.

I just individually bagged and froze an 8-pack of boneless chicken breast that was $2.19/pound. I have bone-in center cut pork chops marinating that were $1.79/pound. With a buy on sale and freeze strategy, it’s possible to control the soaring food prices.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:45 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
More and more investment companies both domestic and foreign are buying up homes and even ebtering the landlord market. This has greatly accelerate in the last couple of years.
Who would want property in the mountains of extreme southwest Virginia?

I used to work in Russell County, VA. Applebee's was the only chain sit-down restaurant in the county at the time. There's a Walmart, regional grocer, and a tiny community hospital. The population is smaller now than it was in 1920.

Where I worked was half an hour from an interstate, Lowe's, or anything other than Walmart and fast food. 45 minutes back to Target/Sam's Club or a marginal regional hospital. The two recent major employers (two defense contractor IT satellite offices) closed due to an inability to attract personnel.

Unless you're from the area or just want to be really, really remote, this area isn't going to be attractive for most folks. I can't see Blackrock turning a profit there. There are just so many more lucrative and easier to work with markets, yet prices have gone up substantially since the pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Forced appreciation by developing the area. They are not far off Johnson City, TN.
Johnson City is closer to the Asheville, NC market than it is to many counties in extreme southwest Virginia. I had to drive from Erwin, TN (a mountain town a bit south of Johnson City heading toward Asheville) to Richlands, VA for work a couple years back. Two hours, 110 mi. Looking at Google, Erwin is actually closer to Greenville, SC than Richlands, VA. Greenville is two media markets away from Erwin. Erwin and Richlands are in the same media market.

Johnson City/Washington County, TN is nice. There is some spillover occurring in the small towns of Carter and Unicoi counties. Carter and Unicoi counties have amazing mountain views/recreation, while not being far from Johnson City and even Asheville.

That area of Virginia is basically Mordor, but the real estate inflationary pressures persist there. There's no local reason for it.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
You might do OK, then.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:28 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Then there is hurricane and other such nuisance insurance
Not necessarily. You can trade hurricanes for earthquakes, if you so desire. Trade coasts, lol. Less frequent, anyway....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement