Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 07:46 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn't come from the pipe. We have a bidet from Amazon that we paid about $30 for (they went up since Covid) and I used one for years before that. It is connected to the toilet tank, not a pipe. It's not any colder in the winter than in the summer, because the bathroom heat keeps the water in the tank a stable temp. Its' cool for sure, and sometimes I let out a little "yikes" when the water hits me (winter or summer) especially when I use it to wash up, but it's really not bad. I find when I'm in public bathrooms I start to reach for a bidet handle now because I'm so used to it, lol.

I have one that heats the water first, sitting in the attic, because when I bought it I didn't realize we needed an electrical outlet near the toilet. One day.
Oh I see. I turn my heat way down at night, so that would still be a shock in the morning. I didn't realize they made heated ones.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:40 AM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Can't wait until the washlets bidets come with NPR. Japanese units have canned music for many years..

Old 12-20-2021, 10:31 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Oh I see. I turn my heat way down at night, so that would still be a shock in the morning. I didn't realize they made heated ones.
Yes, it even has a heated dryer! I need to get an outlet put in, lol.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:49 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is the worst inflation I've seen in 40 years dating back to 1982 or so. A BBQ whole chicken that I could buy ready to eat for $5 last year in Von's has now doubled to $10. We've all seen the price hikes in reports on the news channels. Seniors were already struggling to feed themselves before this inflation hit. How are members in here coping with these spikes in the COL?
Make more stews, switch to cheaper meats....and make more stews. Learn how to cook less expensive meats especially when they make lots of meals to be frozen........and turn them into stews. I mean, when you think about it, isn't bouillabaisse an economical cooking?

Fortunately, this works into my mentality. In another thread, someone has addressed how wrong my 1950s Aussie Outback living is (but I am not addressing that since it is off topic in that thread) but it is that mentality which enables me to be money conscious in my eating.......to a degree.

One of the more expensive sides of it, however, is that I forage a lot, stock pile a lot, hit targets of opportunity. Two weekends ago, I did sort of a "grand tour" of shopping, hitting selected stores on one side of the highway for 20 miles, making out like a bandit with dollar cans of chicken and fish, cheaper coffee, bags of beans. Two things to that story that relate here.

First, when you are out on a energy intensive trip, make it count! Go everywhere you can because you do happen to be there, in that vicinity. Secondly, how much does the quality matter when your method of preparation is rather coarse? The coffee I bought on the grand tour was this
https://www.biglots.com/product/clas...90764&pos=1:10
Don't know how good it is BUT....when you make stove top cowboy coffee, how bad can it be before you notice?

The thing is that stews do take time and if you want it now and they aren't in the frig, we-ll.....we opt for other, quicker things and probably drive the cost up.

The other thing is that one can stew some things like beef & chicken, but not other things, like fish, because of the recommended time to keep them before tossing them.

Finally, there is the "it's possible but it isn't easy" such as with chicken. I buy grilling chicken at a low price and if I do it right, throw a quarter or a drum stick in the stew, let it heat up, pull the chicken from the stew to get the meat off the bone (somehow), then meat back into the stew.

If I do it right for often I come home, chicken into the frig and then, I don't baggy individual portions in the few days afterwards to get it into the freezer. Instead, I am rapidly eating it for one meal instead of stewing it for several meals. Finally, my philosophy is to use frozen before canned. Canned supplies can last forever, so to speak, but if I lose power for a while, at best, I am going have to make some emergency decisions. So I eat off the frozen supply first.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
Quote:
Make sure it's GFIC protected. Lol ouch!

Old 12-20-2021, 12:26 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,138,926 times
just fine

Old 12-20-2021, 12:44 PM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Make sure it's GFIC protected. Lol ouch!
Yikes, never thought of that!

Old 12-20-2021, 01:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Yeah, without a dryer, you're still using TP to dry off, so what's the point.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:55 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You could say anyone has an opportunity to increase their income. Virtually anyone can go get a part-time job right now and put a few more dollars in their pockets, drive for DoorDash, etc.

There's going to be a cap on what most of us can realistically make. My 2021 income is more than four times my 2013 income. I only made $21,000 that year. It's most definitely not going to quadruple again, and it's unlikely to double. I could get a raise by moving to a higher cost of living area, but then I just end up paying higher living expenses.

Most brokerage accounts can be opened for around $100, if that. If someone is so tight that that $100 is so meaningful, I'm not sure what to tell them.

I've certainly made fair share of errors in life. I don't pretend to have all the answers.
Considering this is a retirement forum, and the topic concerns those living on fixed income sources, what purpose does investing $100 a month in a brokerage account serve? Retirees are far beyond the point where $100 a month invested, is going to make a difference in their remaining lifetime. Better off leaving it in a bank account, or a shoe box for that matter.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:41 AM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, without a dryer, you're still using TP to dry off, so what's the point.
You are cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement