Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 08:32 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay...

But that's not what the thread is about.

People just like to brag that they shop at the higher end stores or make the enlightened choices or are hip to the latest craze (oat milk, 70% dark chocolate, whatever it may be). I hang out with folks like this and, believe me, I hear it every day...

They're seldom the most economical options.

But carry on!
Come on, otter, 70% chocolate is not "trendy" - my dad simply likes it. That is all. I can't stand it. I do not buy it for myself and neither do I eat it. The HUGE brick of chocolate is FIVE DOLLARS. Deign to enter a Trader Joe's store and see for yourself to decide whether 5 bucks for a huge brick of chocolate is NOT economical.

There are several flavors of Pound Plus, not just "70%". The dark cacao bricks are actually 72% and are 17.6 oz.

The other day I paid $2.49 for a tiny 3 Musketeers candy package (my lifelong favorite) at a crappy little gas station convenience store. How is that cost effective over a five buck brick of chocolate??

Furthermore, I do not brag that I shop at stores like Trader Joe's. I GREW UP WITH TRADER JOE'S when it first opened very close my childhood home, decades ago, long before it was considered trendy.

Last edited by pathrunner; 05-25-2022 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: add italicized text

Old 05-25-2022, 08:39 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Come on, otter, 70% chocolate is not "trendy" - my dad simply likes it. That is all. I can't stand it. I do not buy it for myself and neither do I eat it. The HUGE brick of chocolate is FIVE DOLLARS. Deign to enter a Trader Joe's store and see for yourself to decide whether 5 bucks for a huge brick of chocolate is NOT economical.

There are several flavors of Pound Plus, not just "70%". The bricks are actually 72% and are 17.6 oz.

The other day I paid $2.49 for a tiny 3 Musketeers candy package (my lifelong favorite) at a crappy little gas station convenience store. How is that cost effective over a five buck brick of chocolate??

Furthermore, I do not brag that I shop at stores like Trader Joe's. I GREW UP WITH TRADER JOE'S when it first opened very close my childhood home, decades ago, long before it was considered trendy.
I have friends that do or that did until recently. I've told them that there's nothing wrong with Wallyworld...General Mills cheerios is cheerios no matter what store it's sold in and Wallyworld sells it cheaper.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:40 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,520 times
Default Gave up Red Meat for Biden's Lent

Saw a tomahawk Steak at Sam's for $51. I eat a lot of pork and chicken. Make chicken salad to use parts I would miss. Can't afford Chicken livers anymore. Pre-Biden cost about a dollar.

Peanut butter is my snack and white bread with sugar on it my desert. Used to make bean soup w/ ham hocks but the clean air act has eliminated smoke and I can taste the alcohol based chemicals in the liquid smoke used to "smoke" the Pork.

Have "apartment one buffets". Meaning fast days.

But this is all intentional, right?

Old 05-25-2022, 08:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I'll definitely be reincorporating fast days into my routine. At least maybe I'll drop some weight? Between my pantry, freezer, and fat stores, I should be in no immediate danger.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:51 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times
As someone who is retired on a fixed income, I shop at thrift stores 85% of the time. I patronize WallyWorld weekly; it is my main go-to for groceries and other items. I shop at Bargain Bin stores. For the record, I can't stand the "cheerio's" they sell at Trader Joe's, as someone who has been eating Cheerios for 65+ years!

I'm hardly a braggart, but now I'll be accused of being defensive, when really all that happened was I was put up on the defensive.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
As someone who is retired on a fixed income, I shop at thrift stores 85% of the time. I patronize WallyWorld weekly; it is my main go-to for groceries and other items. I shop at Bargain Bin stores. For the record, I can't stand the "cheerio's" they sell at Trader Joe's, as someone who has been eating Cheerios for 65+ years!

I'm hardly a braggart, but now I'll be accused of being defensive, when really all that happened was I was put up on the defensive.
Me too. I hit Wallyworld, Dollar Tree, Big Lots as well as Publix and Food Lion and a local supermarket.
Walmart has fresh Italian/French bread they bake in store...$1.00. At one point they had unsliced for $1.00 and sliced for $1.10. Last week it all got changed to $1.00..sliced or unsliced.

Part of it is the current scavenger hunt for cat food and part is that different stores have stuff I prefer.
I make Thursday my "chore day" and hit the various stores based on my list of what's needed.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:24 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've never heard any suggestion that milk was unhealthy, so why should I switch?

Just one cup (244 grams) of whole cow’s milk contains (2):

Calories: 146
Protein: 8 grams
Fat: 8 grams
Calcium: 28% of the RDA
Vitamin D: 24% of the RDA
Riboflavin (B2): 26% of the RDA
Vitamin B12: 18% of the RDA
Potassium: 10% of the RDA
Phosphorus: 22% of the RDA
Selenium: 13% of the RDA
Milk is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including “nutrients of concern,” which are under-consumed by many populations (3Trusted Source).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_2

I buy 2% rather than whole milk though. Coincidentally my wife started buying Creamy Oat milk for her coffee instead of the Carnation sweetener. (Decaf coffee of course).
I only mentioned it because you had posted that you liked almond butter so I thought you might like to try almond milk. That's all.

But as far as why other's might want to switch, my wife is lactose intolerant so cow's milk isn't an option for her uness she buys something like Lactaid. I don't drink cow's milk due to my ethical concerns regarding modern dairy farming. (But that's a subject for a different forum.)

As far as health reasons, unsweetened almond milk has far fewer calories (40 vs ~150), carbohydrates (1g vs 12g) and fat (3g vs 8g) when compared to whole milk. It even only has half the calories of skim milk (40 vs 80), so someone trying to lose weight might want to switch as well.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:29 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Here's a shocker: Whole Foods--that's the high-end market WHOLE FOODS now--has ORGANIC WHOLE rotisserie chickens for $10.99! I just about fell out of my chair when the guy told me that.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Here's a shocker: Whole Foods--that's the high-end market WHOLE FOODS now--has ORGANIC WHOLE rotisserie chickens for $10.99! I just about fell out of my chair when the guy told me that.
Lol..you pay $5 for the chicken and $5 for the "organic" label on the chicken

It's no secret that "organic" label can up their price and people will pay it.

I raised chickens and they got their wormer medicine every Christmas...2 weeks where the dogs got all the eggs.
It was preventative to keep the chickens healthy. And so they would not be "organic".
The cows got their preventative shots as well and they had grass and corn as a finisher (for some fat/sweetness) for the one going to "freezer camp".
But my veggie garden...no chemicals at all but it was a lot of work keeping those plants healthy.

IMHO true organic can be achieved at the individual level but corporate "organic" I find hard to swallow.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:36 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay...

People just like to brag that they shop at the higher end stores or make the enlightened choices or are hip to the latest craze (oat milk, 70% dark chocolate, whatever it may be). I hang out with folks like this and, believe me, I hear it every day...

They're seldom the most economical options.

But carry on!
There are those of us who want to eat in the healthiest way we can afford to. "Enlightened choices" trumps McDonald's IMO and we do our best to economize while making those "enlightened choices"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement