Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 09:41 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
There are those of us who want to eat in the healthiest way we can afford to. "Enlightened choices" trumps McDonald's IMO and we do our best to economize while making those "enlightened choices"
I don't see much difference between organic bananas and regular except for the price.
The USDA allows synthetic chemicals as well as other chemicals to be used in organic farming.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:44 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Have "apartment one buffets". Meaning fast days.
But this is all intentional, right?
Where did that come from? Never heard of it..

Old 05-25-2022, 09:45 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay...

But that's not what the thread is about.

People just like to brag that they shop at the higher end stores or make the enlightened choices or are hip to the latest craze (oat milk, 70% dark chocolate, whatever it may be). I hang out with folks like this and, believe me, I hear it every day...

They're seldom the most economical options.

But carry on!
Not sure I follow...

Does it bother you that people consider how to eat healthy as well as economically? I get how bragging about the higher end shopping might be off-putting, but sure seems to me you are confusing simple basic healthy choices with "the latest craze." My wife has been buying high percent dark chocolate for as long as I can remember. Do you know why...?"

7 Proven Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate

Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that can positively affect your health.

Made from the seed of the cacao tree, it’s one of the best sources of antioxidants you can find.

Studies show that dark chocolate can improve your health and lower the risk of heart disease.

Here are 7 health benefits of dark chocolate or cocoa that are supported by science.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...dark-chocolate

These are not trends or the latest craze. This is information that health oriented people got wise to long ago and simply incorporate into the diet. All of which has paid off nicely for us now that we're into retirement and fairly healthy all considered. Whatever you are "hearing every day," be sure not to "throw the baby out with the bath water!"

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-25-2022 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-25-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There are people that cannot tolerate cow's milk so the alternatives.
Well you never know about "milk is bad for you". Could have come from the government similar to the eggs are bad, eggs are good, eggs are bad.

FWIW...fascinating story about how oat milk became popular in the US....via barista's in high end coffee shops . That's how Oatly exploded and became so popular.
Well no kidding...

People are allergic to things like cow's milk? Peanut butter? Ya don't say?

Lots of interesting stories about how we consumers come to consume what we do, but the health issues are not all that hard to understand all considered. Where we are guilty of "splurging" is with the lattes my wife is nutty about. As done exclusively at Starbucks, but for people who really enjoy the taste of coffee, it's hard to buy other than espresso drinks. The coffee at Denny's for example, by comparison, is like drinking skimmed milk instead of whole milk. With or without comparison, Denny's coffee is just horrible for people who really appreciate real coffee. Yuk! Just yuk!

Old 05-25-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
As someone who is retired on a fixed income, I shop at thrift stores 85% of the time. I patronize WallyWorld weekly; it is my main go-to for groceries and other items. I shop at Bargain Bin stores. For the record, I can't stand the "cheerio's" they sell at Trader Joe's, as someone who has been eating Cheerios for 65+ years!

I'm hardly a braggart, but now I'll be accused of being defensive, when really all that happened was I was put up on the defensive.
I can't remember the last time I had a bowl of cereal...

Old 05-25-2022, 09:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
I find the whole "food as medicine" thing off-putting, personally, especially when it comes with a lecture on its health benefits. When a group sits down on the trail to eat lunch during a hike and folks begin pulling things out of their packs and I hear "Trader Joe's," "Whole Foods," "organic," "antioxidant," etc., I think, "Just eat, already. Jeez!" It IS a way of saying, "I'm enlighted, I'm educated, I'm health-conscious" and, in some cases, "I'm wealthy" because (relative to THIS discussion), it's seldom cheap. I could live without it... And I do perversely enjoy interjecting, "Well, I picked up these no-name expired greasy chips at the Amish salvage store; want some?"

Old 05-25-2022, 10:01 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've never heard any suggestion that milk was unhealthy, so why should I switch?

Just one cup (244 grams) of whole cow’s milk contains (2):

Calories: 146
Protein: 8 grams
Fat: 8 grams
Calcium: 28% of the RDA
Vitamin D: 24% of the RDA
Riboflavin (B2): 26% of the RDA
Vitamin B12: 18% of the RDA
Potassium: 10% of the RDA
Phosphorus: 22% of the RDA
Selenium: 13% of the RDA
Milk is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including “nutrients of concern,” which are under-consumed by many populations (3Trusted Source).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_2

I buy 2% rather than whole milk though. Coincidentally my wife started buying Creamy Oat milk for her coffee instead of the Carnation sweetener. (Decaf coffee of course).
A cup of cows milk also contains 12 g of sugar, which is a lot. I started drinking unsweetened vanilla almond milk to skip the sugar.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:03 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A cup of cows milk also contains 12 g of sugar, which is a lot. I started drinking unsweetened vanilla almond milk to skip the sugar.
But that's real natural sugar...not HFCS that's in most of our processed food.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:04 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't see much difference between organic bananas and regular except for the price.
The USDA allows synthetic chemicals as well as other chemicals to be used in organic farming.
Fruits and vegetables with skin that you peel generally don’t need to be purchased organic. There is an annual list, called the dirty dozen that list fruits and vegetables that if you were going to buy just some of your things organic those would be the ones to buy because they have the most pesticide residue.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:06 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
There are several flavors of Pound Plus, not just "70%". The dark cacao bricks are actually 72% and are 17.6 oz.
By the way, I researched Pound Plus. The Amazon prices, along with others such as Ebay are outrageous. The $5.00 price I mentioned is the in-store price at Trader Joe's.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...5-pound-plus-5

scroll down to No. 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement