Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2021, 11:47 AM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This is what I don't think a fair number of people don't understand when they say, "You're a hoarder! You need to downsize! You don't need all this stuff!". Sometimes you actually do need that 20" pair of channel locks you bought 35 years ago and have used only a few times since. Or that second wheelbarrow when you're moving the two cords of firewood that was just delivered out of the driveway.

And c'mon, who doesn't need just one more shotgun (which one or another of the kids will end up with anyway. Likely next week when he needs to "borrow" one for geese).
LOL

I have a girlfriend back in Texas. Her husband has 1 old tractor and 3 old rusted cars in "the back 5" of their property cause ...."you never know".

People who like to "hold on to things" are even worse when they have acreage !

When I sold my ranch my barn was full of pieces of plywood, 2x? and whatnot because I spent 8 years accumulating scraps from projects "just in case". I learned my lesson when I had to get a 2nd small dumpster delivered.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:26 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
LOL

I have a girlfriend back in Texas. Her husband has 1 old tractor and 3 old rusted cars in "the back 5" of their property cause ...."you never know".

When I sold my ranch my barn was full of pieces of plywood, 2x? and whatnot because I spent 8 years accumulating scraps from projects "just in case". I learned my lesson when I had to get a 2nd small dumpster delivered.
Plywood. I understand what you're saying but you know what? Those two chunks I had in the shed perfectly fit the two holes in the floor of the goose blind my hunting buddy went through last year.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:43 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
LOL

We-ll, it goes both ways. Driving out this morning, I came around a bend and......there was a truck with a mobile home there, blocking the road. It being forest, there was no way around, so I turned around and went home to sit for a few hours.

It did remind me how easily I could be cut off, how there may be days when I have to solve my problems with only what I have in the house. It is a mentality that I need to keep in mind.

Now, in relation to our thread, between the pandemic, living in a forest, and now inflation, it is a toss up question of constant resupply, stock piling, and building self sufficiency infrastructure. Ie, I have half a cord of firewood, just bought it (for I have yet to figure out how to trim my forest) in case I need to use the fireplace. Now, though, I need, eventually, to get a "55 gallon drum grill"......just in case. Hmmmmm, need to get an ax, too.

Further, there are lots of things on the list, lots of things to keep one's eye out for when they are on sale. I mentioned in another thread how I should look at getting another laptop in the end of the year sales. My current one is 4-5 years old, had to buy that one in January when it's former gave out, and it is showing those signs now.

The other night, the dishwasher leaked a little (don't know the cause, that is another problem to explore). Stopped it, did dishes in the sink and.....got two beach towels out to dry the puddle. Note to self, look for beach towel sales for they are needed....at times.

And the list goes on and on about what is needed infrastructure.....just in case.

Now, I'm not going to be like an Arctic expedition disaster and have oodles of curtain rods because I don't think I need those, don't have any curtains in the house.........though on a related note, I should have a staff around for vertigo spells.

How does one do it in these times of inflation? Well, like Stanley Johnson......I'm in debt up to my eyeballs!.....No, not really.................

.............but I guess it is just a constant foraging mission looking for cheaper ways to get things.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Considering this is a retirement forum, and the topic concerns those living on fixed income sources, what purpose does investing $100 a month in a brokerage account serve? Retirees are far beyond the point where $100 a month invested, is going to make a difference in their remaining lifetime. Better off leaving it in a bank account, or a shoe box for that matter.
What? We are 13 years retired investing multiple 4 figures in after tax brokerage accounts that are a solid 70% equities. As has been noted fixed income is a nebulous term.
The ROI provides a considerable inflation hedge.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:23 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
North beach, have you ever had to clean out the house of a person that saved stuff so they were ready for anything?

Old 12-23-2021, 02:15 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Baby mandarins this morning were (I have converted it) $US6.50 a pound.

Don’t know what you pay but I coped by not buying any!

Old 12-23-2021, 03:46 AM

708 posts, read 577,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Last weekend I thought I'd cook up a mess of corned beef and cabbage, but that plan came to a screeching halt when I saw a little hunk of corned beef going for $25! Corned beef and cabbage used to be considered the poor man's meal, but holy cow, not anymore. I was too afraid to check the price of a head of cabbage! So instead, I came home and made a big pot of bean soup with a ham hock from scratch and froze several single-servings. Just finished one for dinner and it was YUMMY!

The bad news is I'm just going to have to bid adieu to corned beef until the world comes to it's senses.

But the good news is that I'm gaining a new appreciation for the humble bean.
I just did the same thing after checking prices on corned beef. Can't beat a good pot of bean soup.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:34 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
North beach, have you ever had to clean out the house of a person that saved stuff so they were ready for anything?
Well, things vary.

The way I see it, if the society goes south and a roving band of starving thieves find and kill me, they are going to think they hit a gold mind when they go through my place.

As far as the noble bean goes......in the 90s when I didn't have much money, Dad turned me on to the bean because that's how the Army in the 30s. In recent times, it has been rather hilarious when people have been talking about eating black eyed peas at New Years because that is a standard stock around here, been eating them for years, didn't know anything about that mythology.

My version of Moors & Christians is black beans, black eyed peas, and brown rice. It cooks up rather quickly and makes its own stew so it is rather tasty without spices..........

.............which is another point of start checking out the spices, live like the dawn of the Spice Trade. Me, I've always collected spices (live like a King!.....Middle Ages wise), had a camp out box full of them, even soup base, so anyone could make something from the main meal stuff I had.

One thing, spice wise, that has gotten quite high, though, is garlic. I think it was high before this year but the current price does make my eyes bug. So-o, that might be a good thing to stock pile on from the Dollar Stores if one sees it.

I don't have many a recipe for the pinto bean but what I do with it is that I toss in a hand full to any stew I am making, another source of protein in the meal.

If I haven't mentioned it before, one of my stews is chicken-black bean-corn (and then whatever else) stew. I use the cheap, so far, grilling drum sticks and quarters they sell in HEB and throw one in. After it has been cooking for a while, I pull out the chicken, let it cool down somehow, then pull the meat off the bone when it is easier, and throw the meat back in.

In a day or two, I am going to cook my first turkey, it has been thawing in the frig, so a many hours bird. I have done the pre cooked turkey in previous years but the price now......well, now it is time to learn how to cook a turkey, thru and thru.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:45 AM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times
we are doing just like everyone else. we spend more money for the food and energy that we need. it just makes it a little tighter at the end of the month. we also shop less so....... we as a couple are okay. it works for us because we do not have an income that doesn't go up. SS has COLA (we are not collecting yet) our pensions have COLA so but this is considered fixed income? I would think fixed income would be something that has no COLA built in.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:24 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Baby mandarins this morning were (I have converted it) $US6.50 a pound.

Don’t know what you pay but I coped by not buying any!
Yesterday I saw a 3lb bag for $5.49. We didn't need anywhere near 3lbs so didn't buy.

I have relatives in the Bateman's Bay area and when they come over, they always want to go to the grocery store to pick up a few items and compare prices. They are always amazed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement