Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 11:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 723,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here at least, the main grocery store in town marks down some of it. If I find some meat I wish to purchase that has been marked down, I'll either cook it that day or freeze it. It's still perfectly good but getting close to the expiration date but not past that date.
I recently picked up a nice $10 piece of salmon for $2.97 and cooked it that night. It was delicious.
Good for you! I haven't seen or maybe I'm not looking hard enough in my grocery store for these kinds of deals. Will definitely look harder next shopping day.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:49 AM

7,774 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Now that we have an EV, it's a mute point anyway.
It's a moo point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bo54wE_rJU

Old 06-05-2022, 11:59 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,697,068 times
Is it really a fixed income if you have a cola increase?

Old 06-05-2022, 12:03 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Surely you jest. Are you retired? Do you get a $20 a year COL increase? That's what people on Social Security get.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
There is nothing new about seniors being on fixed incomes, or inflation. What IS new in my own lifetime is how quickly grocery prices rose just this year alone. Gas prices have jumped high before and are expected.

Standard ways to stay on budget include the obvious stuff such as eating out less often, traveling less often and for shorter distances, not buying frivolous things that you don’t enjoy more than a few minutes or hours, unsubscribing from little-used (or oft-used but useless) services, selling any items that you no longer want (a.k.a. garage sales), making more things yourself whether meals or household items, quitting smoking or drinking, forgoing expensive convenience doodads, selling high-maintenance houses and switching to one with lower cost.

Kinda hard to reduce very basic food budgets more, so other stuff will have to give way.

I saw an old, obese guy stuff a full-size grocery cart with packages of price-slashed sweet baked treats. Nothing else. That’s one way to reduce the food budget...at a high cost to health, but maybe he doesn’t care.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Surely you jest. Are you retired? Do you get a $20 a year COL increase? That's what people on Social Security get.
Well, the last COL increase on SS was 5.9%,so of course the amount will vary on how much you receive a month.

We get 2% on our pension every year, and got the (will get?) the 5.9% on VA benefits.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2022, 01:27 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
Good for you! I haven't seen or maybe I'm not looking hard enough in my grocery store for these kinds of deals. Will definitely look harder next shopping day.
Unfortunately I don't think all stores do this, but here Kroger does it. The discounted meat, chicken, fish is easy to see because it's front and center next to the regular priced meat. I usually go fairly early by 8-10 a.m. I think if you wait until afternoon, the discounted items are probably all gone by then.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:29 PM

1,380 posts, read 723,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think all stores do this, but here Kroger does it. The discounted meat, chicken, fish is easy to see because it's front and center next to the regular priced meat. I usually go fairly early by 8-10 a.m. I think if you wait until afternoon, the discounted items are probably all gone by then.
I tried going really early for "senior hour" and several things on my list hadn't been restocked yet. That was annoying. So, I went back to my regular time, around noon.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:20 PM

11,111 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They can’t donate it once it’s expired.
Typically the stores will donate the older dated products when newly delivered product crowds it off the shelf, even if the older product hasn't expired yet. One Whole Foods location recently got caught dumping perfectly good, unexpired product in the dumpsters. They make a big show of being a zero waste company, so it was a scandal that the unexpired food wasn't donated to charity.

Our closest store doesn't get as much traffic as larger stores, and we've found the odd expired food on their shelf, especially if it's not a really popular product. I now heck the expiry dates on everything I buy there.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:47 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
In the stores I shop in they mark down first thing in the morning. If they open at 6 and you come at 7 it won't be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement