Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 11:02 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
And what exactly does this have to do with retirees on a fixed income
I get tired of this whole "retirees on a fixed income" stuff. Over time frames of a year or less, nearly EVERYONE is on a fixed income. (And often working people go quite a bit longer than that before receiving a raise or a bonus. To get a real income boost often requires working a second job or quitting their current job and accepting a higher-paid one; both come with significant costs).

Inflation doesn't uniquely affect retirees. It hits everyone hard.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:02 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I've started to buy store brand Greek yogurt and it is just as good as name brands.
Kroger just came out with a new carbmaster yogurt, I was surprise at how good it is....half the price of the brand names

Old 06-06-2022, 11:08 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I get tired of this whole "retirees on a fixed income" stuff. Over time frames of a year or less, nearly EVERYONE is on a fixed income. (And often working people go quite a bit longer than that before receiving a raise or a bonus. To get a real income boost often requires working a second job or quitting their current job and accepting a higher-paid one; both come with significant costs).

True, but I have to admit I had a very different perspective about income and expenses when I was working compared to now that I am no longer working. I'd have to think a bit about how that perspective has changed and why, but no doubt it's for a variety of reasons. I never really had to consider any "end game" while working, because I really never knew how much more or less I'd be making or for how long. Now I know what before I didn't.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:30 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
the times I've had ramen - I don't use the whole packet of seasoning.
That’s a good idea!

Old 06-06-2022, 11:55 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I tried it....what a waste of money that was. Awful stuff!
Didn't even have any smell when the can was opened.
I'm with you. I'm either going to throw out the remainder of the cheap stuff or mix it with the better stuff. If even cream, sugar or a flavored creamer doesn't mask the taste.... ugh

And I'm usually not overly picky but this stuff is bad

Old 06-06-2022, 12:06 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here at least, the main grocery store in town marks down some of it. If I find some meat I wish to purchase that has been marked down, I'll either cook it that day or freeze it. It's still perfectly good but getting close to the expiration date but not past that date.
I recently picked up a nice $10 piece of salmon for $2.97 and cooked it that night. It was delicious.
Good for you! I've been doing that for years. And for coffee, there's a chain of stores here called "Falling Prices" they have tons of the large (32 ounce)bags of Peet's and Starbuck coffee that will expire in the next few months for $2 a bag.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:20 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

This.

I'm salaried. Over the short term, I'm on a "fixed income." I can't get extra hours at work to increase my pay.

The only thing I can really do is take on a second job or find some kind of side hustle.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:31 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This.

I'm salaried. Over the short term, I'm on a "fixed income." I can't get extra hours at work to increase my pay.

The only thing I can really do is take on a second job or find some kind of side hustle.
No, you can strive for a promotion (Rather than waste the company's dime hanging out on City-Data.)

Or you could look for a different job with the same company. (But then again, I'm not sure that "Prolific Poster on a Retirement Forum" is a trait your bosses will value.)

Or look for a different job in the same career field with a different company.

Or look for a different job in a different career field with a different company.

Or go back to school and learn a new trade.

None of the above options are available to elderly retirees. (Other than posting to the Retirement Forum on City-Data, of course.)

Old 06-06-2022, 03:05 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This.

Or cut back on your discretionary spending...

Might want to read up on what people did during the 70-80's runaway inflation.
You see we lived it and you didn't. We know what we may have to do if prices keep going north.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:12 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm with you. I'm either going to throw out the remainder of the cheap stuff or mix it with the better stuff. If even cream, sugar or a flavored creamer doesn't mask the taste.... ugh

And I'm usually not overly picky but this stuff is bad
I'm not a big coffee fan...any old brand usually does it. Only have 1 cup in the morning.

But tea...completely different story.
I only get tea from Harney & Sons, sachet or loose.
That will not get substituted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement