Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2022, 10:02 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well I had my Walmart coffee this morning and it was fine. Some items I won't substitute but in the case of coffee Walmart brand is just fine for me. $3 difference between Walmart and Folger’s
I won't substitute coffee, but I will canned vegetables. I usually eat a very large salad every day in which I throw in some canned peas, corn, kidney beans and chickpeas, in addition to fresh carrots, radishes, and grape tomatoes. We've been in Las Vegas for the past 9 days, so yesterday I ordered a bunch of fresh and canned groceries to be delivered via Walmart+. A 15.25oz can of Del Monte corn was $1.28, but the same size can of Walmart's Great Value can was only 54¢. Similarly, Del Monte peas were $1.28 and Great Value was 54¢. In the middle was Libby's for 98¢. I've bought all three brands before and really can't tell any difference in my salad, so I obviously went with Walmart's in-house brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am a lazy shopper. If I see an item on sale, I buy a bunch. With inflation, I am now on double duty stocking up. Land O Lakes butter was on sale at half price. No clue as to why, but my 18 new pounds went right into the freezer. I got a deal. I am protected from future cost increases. And I don't have to shop for butter for months & months.

Anything expensive and long lasting gets this "stocking up the pantry" treatment. This leaves me more money to buy steak and eggs and milk and I don't have to worry about their price. I have already got my big savings with my sales items I bulked up on.

So, how am I coping? I am don't what I did before but more often, more aggressively, and in bigger quanties.
18 pounds?! Wow! It usually takes me 3-4 months to go through a 15oz container of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, so 18 containers would last me about 5 years, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My biggest ways of coping are that I am taking no vacations and not eating out much at all. Those are on hold until we get through inflation to the other side, and I see how much my fixed-income buying power has been reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Do you really believe there will be an "other side" of inflation?
I do, because I have a modicum of common sense and remember some basic Econ 101 regarding economic cycles. Here's a little 5-minute crash course for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXf8...SSundayMorning

Spoiler alert: This video was produced in late 2021 and the chief economist at the Kroll Institute was predicting that this high inflationary cycle would run at least until early 2023. And that was before the Ukraine War which has made matters worse and has extended this inflationary cycle for perhaps another year according to newer predictions. But yes, I believe in reality and in economic cycles and thus believe that we will get through inflation to the other side.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I do, because I have a modicum of common sense and remember some basic Econ 101 regarding economic cycles. Here's a little 5-minute crash course for you.
Reading bottom to top, I knew without even seeing the screen name, just from the tone, that this was you.

Thanks for the video!

Old 06-08-2022, 10:45 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Coffee I'm not picky about. I tell people that I have a little coffee with my cream and sugar
But there are items I will not substitute because the store brand has an off taste...Cheerios specifically for me.
I've tried several different store brands and always go back to Cheerios so I'll pay the higher price.
Wow, I learned something today. Didn't know adults ate Cheerios. I remember those being fed to toddlers in the stroller, lol.

Cutting out processed cereals would save lots of money, when I see the prices in the store. We haven't bought packaged cereals since we left the parental home, but I guess plenty of adults do.

Eggs are much cheaper, if you eat breakfast. Or even if you don't.

We're saving loads by not traveling. I did check prices recently and everything seemed the same: vacation rentals, flights, hotels. But the looming war kind of put a crimp in that, plus covid still out there, wreaking havoc on staffing, cancellations, etc. We'll wait....

Old 06-08-2022, 10:55 AM

Really? Kids actually tend to eat - or at least prefer - much more sugary cereals than Cheerios. What cereal did you think adults ate; the "medicinal" types like bran flakes or shredded wheat? At any rate, all can be found in perfectly fine generic versions for less.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:58 AM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Really? Kids actually tend to eat - or at least prefer - much more sugary cereals than Cheerios. What cereal did you think adults ate; the "medicinal" types like bran flakes or shredded wheat? At any rate, all can be found in perfectly fine generic versions for less.
I grew up with cheerios, Rice Krispies or corn flakes. We never had the sugary cereals.
And raising my son it was the same.

I can eat the store brand of Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes just fine.

I remember that Special K was the cereal advertised as the "adult cereal"

Old 06-08-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I grew up with cheerios, Rice Krispies or corn flakes. We never had the sugary cereals.
And raising my son it was the same.

I can eat the store brand of Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes just fine.

I remember that Special K was the cereal advertised as the "adult cereal"
I remember Grape Nuts being targeted at the older generation. Ironic, because those things will break your teeth! I used to eat them mixed with yogurt until I fractured a crown.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:17 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
I think my favorite was Cap'n Crunch when I was a kid. Lucky Charms a close second, and dear old mom served up plenty of both for breakfast while I was growing up. Can't blame her, because people just didn't know better back then. I still remember when the first news was coming out about how smoking cigarettes was causing cancer. My did quit cold turkey soon as he started hearing that...

We served nothing like those kinds of sugar foods or drinks to our kids as they were growing up, and no doubt they are the much better for it now too.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:31 AM

I'll still treat myself to a box of Cap'n Crunch when it goes on sale and enjoy it with whole milk. Delicious memories. No shame in my game!

Old 06-08-2022, 11:32 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
A lot of "lousy" coffee is simply too weak. Try making it via the cowboy method (boil water in a pan, add grounds, let steep five minutes) to beef it up!
I buy espresso, Cafe Bustelo or similar but use it measure for measure the same as regular coffee. Cheap and strong.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:33 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
I'll still treat myself to a box of Cap'n Crunch when it goes on sale and enjoy it with whole milk. Delicious memories. No shame in my game!
Regular Cap’n Crunch hurts the roof of my mouth now, it’s sharp! But I’ll eat an entire box of peanut butter Cap’n Crunch in two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement