Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2022, 09:32 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I haven't seen that price of gas for a long time now, and when I did I was in Utah...
I was pretty shocked to see that...had to read it twice. All the other stations are at $4.65.
The station was fairly empty too...maybe because it was cash only.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:32 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Madame Queen...I am in North Myrtle Beach not Myrtle Beach. In fact I rarely go down to Myrtle Beach.
NMB is more PG family oriented.
Hehehe.

I stayed in North Myrtle Beach many years ago as a young adult. My friend's family owned two adjacent condos, and we stayed for a week. It was very nice.

The closest I've gotten since then is Oak Island, NC.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:34 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But do you do anything (besides shopping and errands) recreationally? I have to drive at least an hour for any social occasion doing the things I like to do. I did something yesterday, and I'm now down a half gallon. Ka-ching!
I hear you...

We've got all we need within walking distance to have a little fun, recreation of all sorts and dining out here too, but we've also got cause to do a little driving fairly often as well. Like today we'll be going over the mountain into San Jose to have lunch with our two kids. Then there is the drive up to Sonoma to visit my mother and sister. Down to L.A. to visit my other sister. Had to drive to Salt Lake City not too long ago to pick up some things and visit with relatives there too. To the airport and back to pick up folks or fly somewhere ourselves. Always one damn thing or another.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Matter of time for what ? We don't have the bars, nightlife that MB has.

I used to live in Pompano Beach which is just north of Ft Lauderdale.
Pompano Beach was PG, family oriented and it stayed that way and still is today.
Same at the Jersey Shore. Some beach towns are quiet and family oriented, others attract the party crowd.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Matter of time for what ? We don't have the bars, nightlife that MB has.

I used to live in Pompano Beach which is just north of Ft Lauderdale.
Pompano Beach was PG, family oriented and it stayed that way and still is today.
Does this have something to do with why so many hotels advertised "adults only" when I was looking for where to stay in Florida; Orlando, West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Miami, Key West?

Old 06-11-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I scored some good priced gas today....$4.37 while my normal place was at $4.65.
Caveat....cash only. Scrounged in my wallet and had $40 ....took $38.xx
Saw people pulling in, seeing the cash only sign and then pulling out.

I'm good for a month now (that's my average fill up time).
Lucky you!

Price of gas at the Shell up the street today is 2.16 per liter. I just did the conversion to gallons and conversion from CDN$ to USD$. Comes out to $6.70 a gallon.

Now I wish I didn't know that, but I'm not going anywhere at the moment.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
I hear you...

We've got all we need within walking distance to have a little fun, recreation of all sorts and dining out here too, but we've also got cause to do a little driving fairly often as well. Like today we'll be going over the mountain into San Jose to have lunch with our two kids. Then there is the drive up to Sonoma to visit my mother and sister. Down to L.A. to visit my other sister. Had to drive to Salt Lake City not too long ago to pick up some things and visit with relatives there too. To the airport and back to pick up folks or fly somewhere ourselves. Always one damn thing or another.
My gas expenditure is driving to this city to folk dance, that area to hike, another place to kayak, another city to ride a bike trail, and then another city to tour a museum. I stayed close to home yesterday and will today, but that's unusual. Tomorrow it'll be another drive that will use up the REST of my tank of gas... If I want to jump in a pool to cool off during the heat wave next week, that'll be still another drive to yet another town. Thank goodness I don't have relatives to visit or enjoy shopping, or I suppose I'd be wasting even MORE gas! Then there's the inevitable eating out afterwards that seems to be part and parcel of every group activity, tho I usually pass on that, to others' consternation and disapproval.

If I actually drove or flew to a vacation or bought that RV I dreamed of, that would REALLY break the bank now.

Unless you just don't do much or everything you do for recreation is THERE, I don't see how you can avoid it...

Instead of spending my days working a mile (and a short walk) away earning money, I now spend them hours away spending money. Not a fan!

Old 06-11-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same at the Jersey Shore. Some beach towns are quiet and family oriented, others attract the party crowd.
Most impressive 4th of July show I have ever seen was along the Jersey Shore, Sea Isle City. Ocean City Boardwalk a wild spot too...

Old 06-11-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My gas expenditure is driving to this city to folk dance, that area to hike, another place to kayak, another city to ride a bike trail, and then another city to tour a museum. I stayed close to home yesterday and will today, but that's unusual. Tomorrow it'll be another drive that will use up the REST of my tank of gas... If I want to jump in a pool to cool off during the heat wave next week, that'll be still another drive to yet another town. Thank goodness I don't have relatives to visit or enjoy shopping, or I suppose I'd be wasting even MORE gas!

If I actually drove or flew to a vacation or bought that RV I dreamed of, that would REALLY break the bank now.

Unless you just don't do much or everything you do for recreation is THERE, I don't see how you can avoid it...

Instead of spending my days working a mile (and a short walk) away earning money, I now spend them hours away spending money. Not a fan!
Fortunately we've got all the hiking, water fun, trails and town stuff all within a few miles of us, and thanks to being on the water, we're in the high 60s here while inland it gets into the high 90s. Still, we do some traveling by car fairly often too. Frequent trips to Home Depot lately, also for example, but even HD is only about 5 miles down the freeway from us.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:06 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Fortunately we've got all the hiking, water fun, trails and town stuff all within a few miles of us, and thanks to being on the water, we're in the high 60s here while inland it gets into the high 90s.
Well, if I were a "we," I'd be content to hike and ride my bike within a few miles, too, but - being single and alone - I kind of have to go to where others are doing things if I want any social life at all. It's so true that two married or coupled or family unit people can live more cheaply than one, now more than ever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement