Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 03:34 PM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, you know who come down to Wildwood in droves? Those dang Canadians, that's who, especially from Montreal. Were they wild, yet polite?
You can tell them by their Speedos, lol.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:40 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
With the surge in gasoline prices, the owner of this Rolls hasn't driven it in a long time.

Actually, it's sat there unused for at least 4-5 years. See the dust on it? It is much thicker in person (in my daughter's condo building parking structure.)
If it's been sitting 4-5 years, then it's not gas prices stopping it from being driven.

I was security for three connected condos in Portland. We had a car with 4 flats, three years out of date tags.

I asked the boss if I could approach the owner about possibly buying it Turns out that it was in the middle of a legal fight between some family members. They finally settled two weeks after turning me down.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:26 AM

7,070 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Where I live the parking space belongs to the condo so you can leave it empty or with a car that never moves.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:49 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, if I were a "we," I'd be content to hike and ride my bike within a few miles, too, but - being single and alone - I kind of have to go to where others are doing things if I want any social life at all. It's so true that two married or coupled or family unit people can live more cheaply than one, now more than ever...
It would seem there is a market for other single & alone people to meet up and do things like hiking and biking.

Old 06-18-2022, 11:04 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Oh man, it makes you wonder if the owner of that car is condo bound and unable to leave it.

I'll bet that car was once their pride and joy. In fact, it may be that family members have been begging the owner to let them sell it with no luck. So there it sits collecting dust.
Quote:
That's very odd! I would think the tires would be flat after not being driven for 4-5 years. Also, wouldn't the association have it towed eventually? Maybe not if the fee for the space is still being paid...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Is the owner still alive? Any odd smells coming from the condo unit?
Quote:
Has anyone looked in the car (looks like tinted windows)? I'd probably have reported this to the police -- 4 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Where I live the parking space belongs to the condo so you can leave it empty or with a car that never moves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
If it's been sitting 4-5 years, then it's not gas prices stopping it from being driven.
My comment about gas prices was facetious.

I'm told the owner is an international billionaire, and just hasn't returned to Las Vegas (although he's been back in the USA in NYC and Florida). The parking spot is assigned to the unit he owns, so there is no problem with that. I was wondering about the tires. Next time I go over there, I'll look. Perhaps he has the condo staff refill his tires, or perhaps they are run-flats which look inflated even if they have lost their air over time (run-flat tires are good up to something like 35 mph for 100 miles or so). Mrs. moguldreamer has runflat tires on her car, and there is no spare tire (not even a donut spare).

For what it is worth, his is not the only vehicle there collecting dust. There are probably 25 expensive cars that are covered in dust - Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Mercedes Benzes, Bentleys, at last a half dozen Rolls Royces, etc. There also are a few 15-year old regular sedans collecting dust. Interestingly, all the McLarens and Teslas in the building all are daily drivers.

Old 06-18-2022, 11:17 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
When I first moved to San Francisco long ago, I stopped at the gas station near my flat one morning, before I took off on an adventure. There was a guy with his rolls, filling up his gas tank. He was looking at me, with my little econobox Toyota. I cheekily asked him what kind of gas mileage he got with his Rolls.

He thought that was adorable.

(I was actually really was curious at the time)

Old 06-18-2022, 11:24 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
My comment about gas prices was facetious.

I'm told the owner is an international billionaire, and just hasn't returned to Las Vegas (although he's been back in the USA in NYC and Florida). The parking spot is assigned to the unit he owns, so there is no problem with that. I was wondering about the tires. Next time I go over there, I'll look. Perhaps he has the condo staff refill his tires, or perhaps they are run-flats which look inflated even if they have lost their air over time (run-flat tires are good up to something like 35 mph for 100 miles or so). Mrs. moguldreamer has runflat tires on her car, and there is no spare tire (not even a donut spare).

For what it is worth, his is not the only vehicle there collecting dust. There are probably 25 expensive cars that are covered in dust - Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Mercedes Benzes, Bentleys, at last a half dozen Rolls Royces, etc. There also are a few 15-year old regular sedans collecting dust. Interestingly, all the McLarens and Teslas in the building all are daily drivers.
Dang. Some people have too much money. What a waste.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:24 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,231,767 times
My chinese restaurant raised prices for their lunch special...from $6.99 to $7.99.
That's a 14% increase. Still under $10 though so I'll keep going.

Also noticed that gas (pay cash) is $.10/gallon lower around here.
The station I lucked out at last week is up to $4.41 (cash) and other stations around here are starting to show cash/credit numbers.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Well, it had to happen...... California of course
Attached Thumbnails
How are retirees on fixed incomes coping with the surge in food and energy prices?-screenshot_20220621-154532.jpg  

Old 06-21-2022, 04:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, it had to happen...... California of course
Free Slurpee day coming soon (7/11)
Thanks for the reminder

Quote:
...coping with the surge in food and energy prices?
SWA free beverages just passed (June 18)
My B-day coming soon (free offers from (3) local restaurants I signed up for) Big day for eating followed by a few days of fasting.

If we go out to eat, it is usually for Happy Hour (discounted food). We don't drink, so that is not an expense.

Currently taking off an additional 6#, so that helps.

Safeway digital coupon for $0.09 watermelon expires today. (Didn't that used to be the 'normal price?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement