Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2022, 05:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
It would seem there is a market for other single & alone people to meet up and do things like hiking and biking.
There is. It's called "Meetup." There are other organized groups as well. But you have to drive to where they're meeting up, and then you usually have to drive to wherever the activity is actually taking place.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:26 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I did something I wouldn't normally do. Our coffee maker has been acting hinky, and the darn thing was expensive. I went in the thrift store I normally go to for plant pots and the like and they had coffee makers: Kitchenaid, Cuisinart, all kinds of good brands, all $10. Didn't know it was half off day for kitchen stuff, so $5 and it works great.

Just trying to offset the one area of inflation that is hitting us the hardest, which is diesel. And only that because of all our trips with the 5th wheel.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-21-2022, 05:41 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I did something I wouldn't normally do. Our coffee maker has been acting hinky, and the darn thing was expensive. I went in the thrift store I normally go to for plant pots and the like and they had coffee makers: Kitchenaid, Cuisinart, all kinds of good brands, all $10. Didn't know it was half off day for kitchen stuff, so $5 and it works great.
Yeah goodwill has either Tuesday or Wednesday for half off yellow tags or Senior discount. Found two teapots that originally were $45 and $60. $7.99 ea.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:25 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:

Just trying to offset the one area of inflation that is hitting us the hardest, which is diesel. And only that because of all our trips with the 5th wheel.
Ah! The joys of home ownership. Don't get me started...

Our microwave just started acting hinky. Works, but there is no turning it off anymore. If not being used, it hums as if it wants to be used. All the time. We have to unplug it to shut it up, and since the plug is above our range vent, turning it off by unplugging it is not easy to do. How's that for hinky?

What my wife ordered online to replace it is going to be well over $5 unfortunately. $5 coffee makers? Is it any good?!?

I'll take those problems over diesel any day of the week however. No. Thank. You!

Old 06-22-2022, 09:59 AM

7,793 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Pre-pandemic, a case of Costco half-liter water bottles was $2.99, and had been it seems like forever. During the pandemic, the price went up to $3.99. Most recently is was something like $4.29.

That's up 43.48%.

For water.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 06-22-2022 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 10:07 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Ah! The joys of home ownership. Don't get me started...

Our microwave just started acting hinky. Works, but there is no turning it off anymore. If not being used, it hums as if it wants to be used. All the time. We have to unplug it to shut it up, and since the plug is above our range vent, turning it off by unplugging it is not easy to do. How's that for hinky?

What my wife ordered online to replace it is going to be well over $5 unfortunately. $5 coffee makers? Is it any good?!?

I'll take those problems over diesel any day of the week however. No. Thank. You!
It works great, I am quite pleased with myself.

Ah yes, ironically, we had the same problem with our over above stove microwave. It will be about $800 to replace it min. It's been removed for about a year, and I just bought a small counter microwave in the meantime.

I feel like I'm being a tad ghetto, and it's not so much the money, as there is only one company that will service our area, and they irritated me. So I don't WANT to do business with them.... but I will eventually.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2022, 10:28 AM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There is. It's called "Meetup." There are other organized groups as well. But you have to drive to where they're meeting up, and then you usually have to drive to wherever the activity is actually taking place.
Actually NextDoor would probably be better, because it's local neighborhoods.

Old 06-22-2022, 11:03 AM

43,081 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
It works great, I am quite pleased with myself.

Ah yes, ironically, we had the same problem with our over above stove microwave. It will be about $800 to replace it min. It's been removed for about a year, and I just bought a small counter microwave in the meantime.

I feel like I'm being a tad ghetto, and it's not so much the money, as there is only one company that will service our area, and they irritated me. So I don't WANT to do business with them.... but I will eventually.
No..you are being frugal

Old 06-22-2022, 11:06 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Pre-pandemic, a case of Costco half-liter water bottles was $2.99, and had been it seems like forever. During the pandemic, the price went up to $3.99. Most recently is was something like $4.29.

That's up 43.48%.

For water.
Half litre out of my faucet filled into a reused plastic bottle..........FREE!

Old 06-22-2022, 11:18 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,875,918 times
I have a part time job now, in grocery. I can't believe the numbers of people who buy cheap water in cheap plastic bottles.

For years, I've been using a home water filter (i.e., Brita and the likes) and fill my own bottles. I will not touch the water in those cheap mass-produced bottles. And when I lived in Phoenix, a doctor (nephrologist) told me to never drink the tap water. When I lived in Oregon, I could drink tap water because it was from Bull Run on Mt. Hood. Tasted great and wasn't bad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement