Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 09:31 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I've given up on all FF chains. Going local and I've found several places that I go to now.

The chinese restaurant raised prices on lunch from $6.99 to $7.99...same portion sizes.
I'd rather have that $1 increase than have my food shrunk on me and leaves me still hungry.
We don't do FF much anymore, but there are times when we'll do Taco Bell, and I pretty well need my In-N-Out fix at least once every two or three months. Otherwise, we like the "mom-and-pop" eateries too. Love Chinese, Mexican and Thai. Especially when you don't need to include the cost of tipping, those can be good deals too.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lol, well, if you are always going to compare what eating out would cost vs. what it would cost to make at home, you'd be setting yourself up every time.

Eating out will never be a money-saving activity!
True. Sometimes my wife will belabor the cost of eating out at a place filled with ambience, and I try to remind her that...

First, once you've decided to eat at a restaurant, focus on why we decided on paying those prices to eat at the restaurant, and second you can't expect to pay eat at home prices at a place that needs to cover expenses for providing the dining experience. Including the cooking of the food. You are not going to eat cheap at a cool ocean view restaurant, for example. Once seated, enjoy the view and forget about the bill! Or don't go there in the first place!

I only take issue with the bill when the food or service or something is not as it should be...

Old 06-24-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I haven't had one of those in about 2 years but I love those sausage/egg mcMuffins. I would always buy the meal which included 2 of them, a drink and hash browns. Having a good appetite like I usually do, I would also throw in an apple pie. That was when the apple pies were the good ones, fried and tasty. Today the apple pies are nothing like that and not worth buying IMHO.

Funny but I used to take my precious dog Snickers (Boston terrier) with me to breakfast at McDonald's and eat in the car with him. I would give him the egg part and the rest was for me. He loved going there and knew where we were as soon as we got into the drive thru line. Happy memories for certain.
I like to make my own egg mcmuffs...

Poached egg, cheddar cheese, Canadian bacon sandwiched in an English Muffin. Sometimes add some pesto which also makes them plenty tasty!

Speaking of breakfast, I tried to buy some frozen hash browns at Safeway and yet again all they had was once small package for something like $5.99! I went and got me a russet potato for under a buck and will use that for our BSB (big Sunday breakfast) instead. Thank you very much!

Old 06-24-2022, 04:36 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,391,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
We charged our Tesla at a charging station for the first time yesterday. An absolute delight given the convenience and price for gas these days. Especially here in California...
Yup - love driving past some of these places with high prices. I often charge at the Tesla charger in Baker, CA (40 stalls) that is next to a station where gas and diesel are normally over $7/gal.

There is also a larger (maybe 8 stalls) Electrify America charger next to it - last trip is the first time I saw more than one EV at that charger - there were 4 Audi eTrons that seemed to be travelling together.

Old 06-26-2022, 03:00 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,208,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Whoa Nelly. And here we are having rioting in the capitol over $2.50 a gallon! (no worries, we're 10 hours away)

Those mountain people are real activists.
Was wondering if the protests affect you.
Hope, you are safe and the protesters would stop - doesn’t sound like a lot of people participating

Do you have any concerns if the prices won’t be lowered/change or even go up higher?
What is going on on the ground there? Are our reports here regarding Ecuador accurate?

Old 06-26-2022, 04:30 PM

7,904 posts, read 3,879,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
"I've gone out to eat twice in the past two weeks (I'm trying to be more "sociable"). First time it was a plain hot dog (at a specialty dog place) and the cheapest canned beer for $10."

I just read it as the beer alone was ten bucks.
On the mountain at Park City Mountain Resort - the $9 Hot Dog:

https://www.vaildaily.com/outdoors-r...old-9-hot-dog/

Old 06-26-2022, 05:31 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
Exciting news: I found free samples. Not at Trader Joe's, but at Buc-ee's! Now THAT's a great place... I also found cans of Chef Boyardee for 94 cents and Oscar Meyer bologna for $1 -- cheaper than the (now) Dollar and a Quarter Tree. Worth the price of admission in sheer entertainment value, too; they sing in unison when the brisket is up, everything is beaver-themed, and they offer World Famous Restrooms!

Old 06-26-2022, 05:36 PM

17,613 posts, read 13,401,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is the worst inflation I've seen in 40 years dating back to 1982 or so. A BBQ whole chicken that I could buy ready to eat for $5 last year in Von's has now doubled to $10. We've all seen the price hikes in reports on the news channels. Seniors were already struggling to feed themselves before this inflation hit. How are members in here coping with these spikes in the COL?

How the hell do you think we are coping?

Things are bad and are going to get worse

No travel, combining appointments and store visits, less eating out. Havent seen our daughter or grandkid in well over a year

Old 06-26-2022, 05:40 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,292,934 times
If you are struggling - please use all the resources out there to save money

Here in our town we are having a mega foodbank on Tuesday. I tell folks - just go. Do not be ashamed. You have already paid for many of the products via your taxes - the farm subsidies for example - wheat, sugar, soy, corn, - I tell people that I should just go to the store every week and get my loaf of bread that I already helped pay for!

Old 06-26-2022, 05:51 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
If you are struggling - please use all the resources out there to save money

Here in our town we are having a mega foodbank on Tuesday. I tell folks - just go. Do not be ashamed. You have already paid for many of the products via your taxes - the farm subsidies for example - wheat, sugar, soy, corn, - I tell people that I should just go to the store every week and get my loaf of bread that I already helped pay for!
I visit Free Food Friday, which I was thrilled to discover recently. This is different/separate from the food pantry or food bank; it's simply food donated by stores and restaraunts that is expired by a day or two and can no longer be sold and would otherwise be thrown away. There's no age or income requirement; free to anyone who wants to come "shop." As I've never been squeamish about "best by" or "sell by" dates, which are largely meaningless, and because food waste for that reason has always been one of my pet peeves - and also because...inflation - I've been a loyal "customer." Most seem to take just what they can use that week and no more, so it's a great little grab and also lots of fun to see what will offered next! It's exciting...

This is essentially dumpster-diving without the dumpster. No shame in my game! And even with all who patronize this event (there's always a long-line of mostly new-looking SUVs), they say they STILL end up throwing away a good bit that's left over.

I could also grab a free "Meals on Wheels" meal, as I'm old enough to qualify (it's not means-tested, either), but because someone IS paying for that and because I've already got more, between FFF and my freezer/pantry, than I need, I'll wait until there's a real need, if things go the way they seem to be going!

Last edited by otterhere; 06-26-2022 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement