Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2022, 10:52 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,742,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The skin on fruits does not protect from pesticides 100%, ie, some still get absorbed, but it still protects somewhat. They recommend to soak fruits & veggies for 20 min in water with baking soda (or with salt, or with vinegar) for maximum pesticide removal, but that is too much work for me; I'm lazy, I just wash stuff in running water for a few seconds, which probably does not remove anything. Btw, the recommendation is to soak organic produce too, because it often has been sprayed with pesticides (ie, organic does not mean pesticide-free).
My understanding is to only worry about what's on the skin of fruits and vegetables if you are going to eat the skin. Otherwise, not to worry...

So I don't worry about washing limes, oranges, avocados and such, though I always give them a rinse anyway. I like to eat the skin of my baked potatoes, so I wash those a bit more thoroughly.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:54 AM

43,182 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
You just read thru 294 pages and 2939 posts highlighting the ridiculous price increase on everything.....and you chose to blame 2 democrats.

If you think that any other living politician could have slowed down this corporate greed, you are living in a dream world.
Too many just saying corporate greed or price gauging.

The cost of higher gas, the cost of higher labor is being passed on to the consumer.

RE sales are sky high...is that due to individual greed ? Are homeowners price gauging ?

Old 07-01-2022, 02:46 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,949,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

The cost of higher gas, the cost of higher labor is being passed on to the consumer.

RE sales are sky high...is that due to individual greed ? Are homeowners price gauging ?

ExxonMobil reported First Quarter profits DOUBLED from a year ago. Their 1Q22 profits were $5.48 BILLION, a tidy sum considering the damage high gas & diesel prices have done to the overall American economy.
Hang on to your hat, because they will be announcing their Second Quarter profits very soon. Chevron and BP will also feed at the trough.

Home sales prices are sky high because of a lack of inventory, not because of homeowner's price gouging. . Several buyers are bidding on the few available properties -- often times going over the asking price, and with no Appraisal or Inspection contingency clauses. It's 'Buy this Pig in a Poke Sack, without looking in the Poke or knowing the market price of Pig'

Old 07-01-2022, 02:52 PM

21,901 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
In many cases, yes; they're definitely taking advantage of this crazy market.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:00 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,030,820 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In many cases, yes; they're definitely taking advantage of this crazy market.
So when homeowners set an asking price and multiple people offer to pay more, are you suggesting that they should turn those offers down because it would be greedy to accept one of them?

Old 07-01-2022, 03:09 PM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Two ingredients? Wow you got me there, the only thing I've ever made with just flour and water was paste, I used it when I ran out of Lepages glue when I was a little kid. But while you enjoy your two ingredient biscuits, I will take advantage of these prices while I can; like 49 cents for these:
https://www.instacart.com/landing?pr...UaAuyOEALw_wcB
Try self-rising flour, cream, and a spoon of sugar (optional). Makes the nicest cream biscuits you could want.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:15 PM

740 posts, read 474,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So when homeowners set an asking price and multiple people offer to pay more, are you suggesting that they should turn those offers down because it would be greedy to accept one of them?
Yes, they should... the same way that buyers in a buyer's market should offer to pay more because otherwise they also would be greedily taking advantage of discounted home prices.

All of us should live our lives in a vacuum and simply ignore macroeconomics.

But wait, this thread is about coping with forces beyond our control...

Old 07-01-2022, 03:42 PM

21,901 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Not at all. Did I say that?

Old 07-01-2022, 04:12 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
My understanding is to only worry about what's on the skin of fruits and vegetables if you are going to eat the skin. Otherwise, not to worry...

So I don't worry about washing limes, oranges, avocados and such, though I always give them a rinse anyway. I like to eat the skin of my baked potatoes, so I wash those a bit more thoroughly.

I zest those (citrus) fruits often, drying it and saving it in small jars for cooking/baking.

Old 07-01-2022, 05:35 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,302,046 times
Quote:

How are home owners price gouging? A house is worth whatever someone else wants to pay for it. If 3 people bid on a house, why shouldn't the highest bidder get it if all other things are equal? And what kind of person is going to say, gosh no I can't accept your offer because I'm making too much money selling my house to you, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.