Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2022, 11:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Try self-rising flour, cream, and a spoon of sugar (optional). Makes the nicest cream biscuits you could want.
I definitely will, thank you!

Old 07-01-2022, 11:27 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
No charge for me. Traditional Medicare plus supplement.
I am not on Medicare yet - but those supplement plans can be very pricey and you can't buy a medigap plan with no copay anymore.

From Medicare.gov - "As of January 1, 2020, Medigap plans sold to people new to Medicare can no longer cover the Part B deductible."

Old 07-01-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
You just read thru 294 pages and 2939 posts highlighting the ridiculous price increase on everything.....and you chose to blame 2 democrats.

If you think that any other living politician could have slowed down this corporate greed, you are living in a dream world.
Much of the current inflation pressures are due to the last unnecessary relief package that was pushed through by those two - they should take responsibility for that action.

Inflation cannot be caused by "corporate greed" - it is caused by too many $ chasing too few goods. Putting lots of money into the systems while preventing business from making goods by paying their workers to not work is a recipe for inflation.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yes, $5.19 is the regular price, they were (or maybe still are) 49 cents at Grocery outlet. Now about your biscuits, not to quibble, but actually Bisquick is 5 ingredients (not counting all the preservatives and stuff) flour, shortening, salt, sugar and baking powder. All I'm trying to say is that if you have a grocery outlet you might want to subscribe to their weekly ads and watch them. About 3 weeks ago I got 10 pounds of Turkey Bacon for $1.99 a pound. I'd never even tried it before but it's actually pretty good.
I got some of those pull aparts - but they were $1 at my GO - haven't tried them yet. A 16 oz can of biscuits or sweet rolls was $0.50 though - much cheaper than using Bisquick. They have some really good deals.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:49 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Much of the current inflation pressures are due to the last unnecessary relief package that was pushed through by those two - they should take responsibility for that action.

Inflation cannot be caused by "corporate greed" - it is caused by too many $ chasing too few goods. Putting lots of money into the systems while preventing business from making goods by paying their workers to not work is a recipe for inflation.
But you can clearly see that it is worldwide, it is not just here. And it wasn’t just “the last stimulus”, it was all of the stimulus that contributed to it. The time though, it could’ve been worse if we didn’t do anything who knows.But the idea that there wouldn’t be inflation if it wasn’t for a couple of people, any couple of people, it’s just silly. There’s too many factors out of anyone persons control.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:46 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yes, $5.19 is the regular price, they were (or maybe still are) 49 cents at Grocery outlet. Now about your biscuits, not to quibble, but actually Bisquick is 5 ingredients (not counting all the preservatives and stuff) flour, shortening, salt, sugar and baking powder. All I'm trying to say is that if you have a grocery outlet you might want to subscribe to their weekly ads and watch them. About 3 weeks ago I got 10 pounds of Turkey Bacon for $1.99 a pound. I'd never even tried it before but it's actually pretty good.
Yes but in one single box....Bisquick + milk is 2 ingredients.

sure you can make biscuits from scratch but that takes too long for me with multiple ingredients.
I'd rather the convenience of bisquick all in one box which I keep in the fridge (because of the multiple ingredients).

Old 07-02-2022, 08:19 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
ExxonMobil reported First Quarter profits DOUBLED from a year ago. Their 1Q22 profits were $5.48 BILLION, a tidy sum considering the damage high gas & diesel prices have done to the overall American economy.
Hang on to your hat, because they will be announcing their Second Quarter profits very soon. Chevron and BP will also feed at the trough.

Home sales prices are sky high because of a lack of inventory, not because of homeowner's price gouging. . Several buyers are bidding on the few available properties -- often times going over the asking price, and with no Appraisal or Inspection contingency clauses. It's 'Buy this Pig in a Poke Sack, without looking in the Poke or knowing the market price of Pig'
I've had to contend with "bidding wars" on more than a few occasions when buying our next home. 5 offers when we bought the one we're in now about 10 years ago. Had to offer well over asking to secure the deal. No fun, and you're at the mercy of believing your realtor. Sure, your realtor tells you there are 4 other offers, but how many that are actually good offers? Real offers? With financing in place? No way to find out...

Old 07-02-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
ExxonMobil reported First Quarter profits DOUBLED from a year ago. Their 1Q22 profits were $5.48 BILLION, a tidy sum considering the damage high gas & diesel prices have done to the overall American economy.
Hang on to your hat, because they will be announcing their Second Quarter profits very soon. Chevron and BP will also feed at the trough.

Home sales prices are sky high because of a lack of inventory, not because of homeowner's price gouging. . Several buyers are bidding on the few available properties -- often times going over the asking price, and with no Appraisal or Inspection contingency clauses. It's 'Buy this Pig in a Poke Sack, without looking in the Poke or knowing the market price of Pig'
All business people, certainly oil companies too, are going to take advantage of what they can get from whomever is willing to pay the going rate for what they're selling, and more if they can. Even non-business people don't typically "leave money on the table" when selling their home or whatever they're trying to sell. Why would they? When selling our homes, we always tried to get the most we could, not only to help with the purchase of the next one, but to have as much money as possible for "rainy days" or our kid's education, or whatever else we all have to worry and/or think about. Retirement another big one.

That's just the way it works, especially in a capitalist system. Can't blame anyone for playing the game the way it's played here in America.

Old 07-02-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I am not on Medicare yet - but those supplement plans can be very pricey and you can't buy a medigap plan with no copay anymore.

From Medicare.gov - "As of January 1, 2020, Medigap plans sold to people new to Medicare can no longer cover the Part B deductible."
I just qualified for Medicare and enrolled in the plan with our health care provider, Kaiser Permanente...

We haven't had the need to go to the doctor for much other than a check up and minor stuff, so I don't know how things will go when we're needing more medical attention and/or drugs, but so far the quoted co-pays and charges as I understand them seem pretty reasonable. "Reasonable" here where the cost of medical coverage seems to be a bit too high compared to what a good many other advanced countries offer their citizens.

Old 07-02-2022, 09:58 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,205 times
Quote:

ddeemo -- I usually find your posts to be reasonable.

But if you're telling me that a $1400 check, in the middle of an Economic Shutdown, caused the Inflation we're seeing now.....I'll have to differ with you. You'll have to explain to all of us how a person can live on $1400 from March 2021 until today.

There are 'too few goods' because virtually everything has some form of transportation costs. Getting to work, Going on vacation, Air Travel., Transporting food, shipping by truck, train or overseas boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.