Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2022, 10:39 AM

43,597 posts, read 18,669,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
ddeemo -- I usually find your posts to be reasonable.

But if you're telling me that a $1400 check, in the middle of an Economic Shutdown, caused the Inflation we're seeing now.....I'll have to differ with you. You'll have to explain to all of us how a person can live on $1400 from March 2021 until today.

There are 'too few goods' because virtually everything has some form of transportation costs. Getting to work, Going on vacation, Air Travel., Transporting food, shipping by truck, train or overseas boats.
Over the course of 2 years (20-21) the Fed Reserve created $15 TRILLION out of nothing.

It was a lot more than your $1400 check.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:46 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,423,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But you can clearly see that it is worldwide, it is not just here. And it wasn’t just “the last stimulus”, it was all of the stimulus that contributed to it. The time though, it could’ve been worse if we didn’t do anything who knows.But the idea that there wouldn’t be inflation if it wasn’t for a couple of people, any couple of people, it’s just silly. There’s too many factors out of anyone persons control.
It is not as worldwide as it may seem - the US is 25% of the world economy so we tend to pull some of the others with us but there are many countries that are seeing very low inflation. Mexico and Canada are both significantly lower than in the US and China, the second biggest economy, has seen almost nothing and Switzerland actually has seen inflation below targets. Russia was seeing very low inflation until the Ukraine invasion.

The main cause of the higher inflation in the US was the last relief package and there are 2 that have the primary responsibility for that last one being implemented, the one opposed by the right. Own up that they messed up, the last one was very unnecessary and is causing much of the pain being felt currently. We are fortunate that the BBB was not approved or we would have seen even more inflation.

Last edited by ddeemo; 07-02-2022 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 10:49 AM

8,181 posts, read 4,066,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I guess that depends on how you define "very few." According to most sources I've seen, roughly 1 in 5, or 1 in 6, require premium. And on a personal note, every car I've owned for the past quarter century has required premium gas.

But your point is still well made. Many people waste money buying high-octane gas when their cars don't require it.
I'm under the impression that anti-knock sensors coupled with electronic ignition prevent damage to an engine that might "require" premium but instead be fueled with regular. In that sense, "require" is a bit more like "recommend."

Old 07-02-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I used to own cars for which premium was highly recommended if not "required." One a BMW, for example, but I always bought regular regardless, and I never experienced a problem. Performance might have been enhanced some with premium, but that's never been a real interest of mine. I just couldn't justify the additional expense.
A friend of mine owned a 1988 MR2 Supercharged. It had a toggle switch on the dashboard for premium fuel vs. regular fuel right above the right knee. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/ You could definitely feel the difference. I'm pretty sure the toggle switch merely changed the spark advance.

Quote:
The blown engine incorporates several modifications designed to compensate for the power increase. Its compression ratio has been reduced from 9.4 to 8.0:1 by means of larger depressions in the piston crowns, and its pistons are made of forged rather than die-cast aluminum, making them lighter, stronger, and more resistant to heat. Its cylinder-head gasket is made of a high-strength carbon material, with steel wires around the bores for better sealing against the higher pressures. A highspeed electronic knock sensor helps to optimize the ignition timing. A new camshaft design provides revised valve timing, and the fuel-injection system has been recalibrated. To round out the development, the intake and exhaust tracts have also been tailored to the new engine.

On the move, the supercharged MR2 is deceptively quick. The most impressive aspects of its performance are its fast engine response and high torque output. The 4A-GZE powerplant is both gutsy and flexible. If you're cruising along with the supercharger disengaged, a little pressure on the accelerator will summon full boost in just a fraction of a second. The supercharger makes the little motor feel much bigger than it is, from liftoff right up to the 7500-rpm redline.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 07-02-2022 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 11:05 AM

425 posts, read 194,576 times
Growing your own food is logical for everyone. Everyone needs to do it to some extent as our world has changed.

What is odd is so many have the resources and means to do this but are more worried about paying for Long Term Care or their Retirement Accts. They don't see the world's changed so you cannot rely on your SS/Pension, you need to be self sustaining. Even if you go slow and pay someone to show you, or spend alot of $ on it, it's okay. Do that before going on vacations etc. Even if you can sustain yourself for 6 months that might be enough. These Pestilences are not going away, the President inciting an insurrection with a refusal to hold him accountable, this is not normal. The World as we know it is no more. Get prepared. Buy a gun, bullets so you can shoot animals if needed. Create a fish pond in your backyard if possible. Gather aspirin, coffee, bandages, toothbrushes, toothpaste, everything you'll need for years. The Dollar Store carries this stuff.

Last edited by PoorYetRich; 07-02-2022 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 11:09 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I'm under the impression that anti-knock sensors coupled with electronic ignition prevent damage to an engine that might "require" premium but instead be fueled with regular. In that sense, "require" is a bit more like "recommend."
Using regular gas in an automobile that the manufacturer states requires premium could void your warranty if damage is caused. Now you may want to risk that on a $100k+ purchase, but I sure don't.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:12 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I am not on Medicare yet - but those supplement plans can be very pricey and you can't buy a medigap plan with no copay anymore.
You most certainly can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
From Medicare.gov - "As of January 1, 2020, Medigap plans sold to people new to Medicare can no longer cover the Part B deductible."
deductible copay

Old 07-02-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
ExxonMobil reported First Quarter profits DOUBLED from a year ago. Their 1Q22 profits were $5.48 BILLION, a tidy sum considering the damage high gas & diesel prices have done to the overall American economy.
ExxonMobil is mostly owned by public sector union pension funds, public sector non-union pension funds, public sector defined contribution plans, private sector union pension funds, private sector non-union pension funds, private sector defined contribution plans, individual investors saving for their retirement & to send their children to college. Widows & orphans.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:17 PM

43,597 posts, read 18,669,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
ExxonMobil is mostly owned by public sector union pension funds, public sector non-union pension funds, public sector defined contribution plans, private sector union pension funds, private sector non-union pension funds, private sector defined contribution plans, individual investors saving for their retirement & to send their children to college. Widows & orphans.
Not everyone is aware of how our economy really works and how the money "trickles down" to Main Street Joe.

Some only see greedy corporations and greedy investors.
Mostly because that is what they read in MSM articles.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:25 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,423,281 times
Quote:
ddeemo -- I usually find your posts to be reasonable.

But if you're telling me that a $1400 check, in the middle of an Economic Shutdown, caused the Inflation we're seeing now.....I'll have to differ with you. You'll have to explain to all of us how a person can live on $1400 from March 2021 until today.

There are 'too few goods' because virtually everything has some form of transportation costs. Getting to work, Going on vacation, Air Travel., Transporting food, shipping by truck, train or overseas boats.
It was not just a $1400 check, it was a $1.9 Trillion bill - only about 20% of it went for those checks. Many were living much better than before the pandemic on all those payments - $1400 plus extended and enhanced unemployment, nutrition and rent assistance, and tax credits - all while not working.

The shortage of workers causing transport problems were due to not enough workers driving and offloading freight, paying to not work and shutdowns. They are also responsible for the high cost of goods transport by driving up fuel shortages and increased costs to transport also. That is part of the too few goods.

As a retiree, I got nothing except the responsibility to pay.

Last edited by ddeemo; 07-02-2022 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement