Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 10:39 AM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I would have to see the receipt for that because you must’ve done add-ons or something.
A 6" roast beef at the Subway in my community is $6.79...no extra cost addons. ($7.59 at an LA Subway).

In a higher COL city it certainly might be close to $8.

Your local Subway with menu/prices is online so you can easily see for yourself what it would cost in your area.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:11 AM

332 posts, read 287,252 times
Actually is was $8.15 before tax. Roast beef, lettuce, tomato, no cheese, waaaay too much mustard, nothing fancy. I went into the store, it was not delivered. I live 15 minutes outside of St. Paul, MN. I was told that it's the roast beef (?! squirrel) that is expensive. The price was posted, I just didn't look, I've only paid $4 something max in the past.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:30 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
I dont like Subway,I just bought Boarhead Roast Beef and make my own sandwich.
I get better bread in supermarket ,Subway bread is cheap stuff

Old 07-03-2022, 11:40 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
ddeemo -- I usually find your posts to be reasonable.

But if you're telling me that a $1400 check, in the middle of an Economic Shutdown, caused the Inflation we're seeing now.....I'll have to differ with you. You'll have to explain to all of us how a person can live on $1400 from March 2021 until today.

There are 'too few goods' because virtually everything has some form of transportation costs. Getting to work, Going on vacation, Air Travel., Transporting food, shipping by truck, train or overseas boats.
And we are still having significant supply chain issues in certain areas. Some of which have gotten worse because of the war in Ukraine. For instance, they expect food prices to go even higher, because Ukraine is a very big producer of wheat and none of that is taking place at its normal rate now. People seem to forget that the economy is global now, and inflation is global as well.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:41 AM

332 posts, read 287,252 times
Yes, I hadn't been there in awhile, it was just convenient. The smell of the store is kind of repulsive. Sorry Subway fans.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I dont like Subway,I just bought Boarhead Roast Beef and make my own sandwich.
I get better bread in supermarket ,Subway bread is cheap stuff
I remember a thread here quite a while ago, where Ireland announced that Subway bread could not be called bread there as it didn’t meet their criteria for bread!

I had a bad experience there years ago, where I was going to a large party, and everyone was supposed to bring something. I ordered one of those 8 foot party subs. It was in a state six hours for me, and I picked it up on the way. When I pick it up, I discovered that everything they asked me if I wanted on the sub, from onions to peppers to pickles, was an extra charge, something like $5 each for everything I said yes to on the phone. They never told me it was an additional charge, and when I bought individual sandwiches, they never charged me more for onions and things like that. All they said is “do you want onions?” And I said sure. They also told me that I had to leave a $30 deposit for the board that they serve the sandwich on, which I also didn’t know. It was out of my way to go back to return the board, so I wish I had known that ahead of time. It didn’t matter anyway, because at some point during the party someone threw the board into the bonfire, so I lost my $30. The whole thing though put a bad taste in my mouth for Subway, no pun intended,.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-03-2022 at 12:09 PM..

Old 07-03-2022, 11:51 AM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And we are still having significant supply chain issues in certain areas. Some of which have gotten worse because of the war in Ukraine. For instance, they expect food prices to go even higher, because Ukraine is a very big producer of wheat and none of that is taking place at its normal rate now. People seem to forget that the economy is global now, and inflation is global as well.
Imported food ?

Old 07-03-2022, 11:57 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,908,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I would have to see the receipt for that because you must’ve done add-ons or something.
Actually I had a Subway sandwich last week that cost $7.49 (including tax). This store doesn't take coupons. I usually opt for the Ham, it's still $4.79 plus tax.

And if you want a bowl (without the bread), you have to pay the footlong price. No, unless I'm really hungry.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Imported food ?
Well again, I don’t think that makes that much difference. The worlds food supply is global now. Even if the wheat isnt imported here, it may be part of ingredients of other food products that are. And just the supply and demand with much less supply, will cause the prices to go higher.

Even our own wheat growers are going to get the highest price they can get for their wheat, whether they sell it here or abroad. Just like with oil, people seem to think that just because something is grown here, that we somehow get to just keep it, that it belongs to us. It still has to be sold to us and to the factories that use it to make our food, and market prices for a variety of foods are set globally and by global supply and demand.

We also have a lot of foreign investment in our farmland, in fact I just read yesterday that China just bought 300 acres in North Dakota although I don’t recall what they want to farm there…it was news because it’s very close to an Air Force base where they work on top secret something or other. They already own Smithfield Farms, the worlds largest pork producer, and probably a lot more. And that Saudi Arabia owns a lot of alfalfa farm acreage in Arizona, which I never knew (that’s become a problem because alfalfa is a very water intensive crop, and water in Arizona is a commodity in short supply). So I don’t think it’s as simple as imported versus exported these days.

Also American farmers are wary of increasing production too much or planting more, because they don’t know how long the prices will stay high and demand will stay high. Just like the oil companies have still not increased refining to their pre-Covid capacity for the same reason.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/24/...ting-more.html

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-03-2022 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-03-2022, 12:21 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,672,004 times
Can't help but shake my head sometimes. Hopped over to the Dollar Store to pick up some plastic clothes hangers. Elderly couple checking out ahead of me had $120 worth of stuff and during the whole checkout complained how expensive it was to live now days and how unfair it was. Then as soon as they hit the door, both were lighting up cigarettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement