Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 05:32 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Thank God, as we get older, we eat less and less.
And willing to indulge in fantasies as we do!

Old 12-29-2021, 09:10 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Thank God, as we get older, we eat less and less.
When does THIS happen??? I used to have to force myself to slow down and eat in my 20s, when I was rail-thin. Now I could eat everything in sight and look for more and definitely don't need the calories. Unfortunately, that theory isn't playing out in my particular case...

Last edited by otterhere; 12-29-2021 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-29-2021, 09:38 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I haven't noticed much. A few things bumped up in price like bacon, citrus juices (orange and grapefruit) frozen dinners, some brands of cheese, some but not all produce. Butter, ice cream, and soft drinks have increased slightly. I haven't noticed much else. I do waste less these days so I buy the good stuff (at considerably more) with the intent I'll eat it all and toss very little of it. My credit card balance month to month hasn't changed a bit.
Meats across the board are up. For bread there is less selection and higher prices, same with cheese. Cream cheese, when you can find it, is higher. Sour cream and cottage cheese is the same.

Chocolate milk is hit and miss. Paper and plastic products are higher and the shelves are only partially stocked. Dish soap is partially stocked. Popular flavor coffee creamers are usually out of stock.

Pepperoni slices are partial, frozen potatoes like hash browns and French fries are out more than they're in.

I think a lot of it is regional.

Oh, some retirees here are coping by placing bigger bets on Keno.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:40 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
When does THIS happen??? I used to have to force myself to slow down and eat in my 20s, when I was rail-thin. Now I could eat everything in sight and look for more! Definitely not playing out in my particular case.
Well, comme ce, comme ca on that. Essentially, there is more to that statement than meets to eye.

We may eat less but it may be in less of the stuff that is less bulk.....or it may be less in the stuff we can't eat anymore.

When I lived on full after burners, I could go thru the day on one apple but I was using ambition to blind myself to what my body was trying to tell me. Now that I am a Type II, I can't do that anymore. I have to eat 3 regular meals but I can't drink (one thing off the menu), can't do fruit (another thing off the menu), very limited sweets, etc, etc, etc.

So a lot of things that may have been tempting as I go further and further into the dry goods menu aren't there anymore. No need to go into the frozen aisle at all. Or the wine aisle.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-29-2021 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-29-2021, 09:52 AM

745 posts, read 479,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Retirees are not on fixed incomes if they get ss ..that is adjusted with colas .

Many workers are on a fixed income since they may not get raises whenever inflation goes up , plus their health insurance goes up whether they get a raise or not .

Not sure where this I am living on a fixed income vision of grandma taking change out of her change purse came from but it is many workers who are the ones living on a fixed income
Well, Medicare Plan B premiums just went up, so that increase in SS won't be seen for many. And for those seniors who need medications, they often go up in price.

Seniors have to deal with the same inflation issues you do. So, don't make it look like seniors are getting ahead just because they get a COLA increase in SS. I am inclined to believe you get pay raises every now and then.

Luckily I'm still working at 63, but I can see what issues I'll be facing.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
Didn't Elaine Chow when she was labor secretary said we all have to work until we cant work anymore or go to the big blue sky?
The govt has always told us not to rely on SS payments as the only source of income.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:05 AM

106,592 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Well, Medicare Plan B premiums just went up, so that increase in SS won't be seen for many. And for those seniors who need medications, they often go up in price.

Seniors have to deal with the same inflation issues you do. So, don't make it look like seniors are getting ahead just because they get a COLA increase in SS. I am inclined to believe you get pay raises every now and then.

Luckily I'm still working at 63, but I can see what issues I'll be facing.
Huh , i am retired

Old 12-29-2021, 10:28 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wonder if everyone isn't just randomly raising their prices to gouge people and blaming "inflation" when it's not really justified by their own increased expenses. Color me skeptical! From what I can see so far, it's not affecting consumer habits; people will keep paying (even more) for convenience.
I wonder the same thing...why have chicken wings and beef gone up so much, but pork has stayed the same or dropped in price? And some stores seem to be raising prices just to see if they can get away with it. Honeycrisp apples 3 lbs for $2.49 at Winco vs $2.00 a pound at Raley's. I'm cheap, if I perceive something as being too expensive I substitute something cheaper, as a result we are still eating and my grocery budget has been pretty static for the past 2 years.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:47 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not as long as that. Coffee is an oil based flavor. My husband love to drink coffee. We bought the large cans which used to be 3 pounds but went to 2 pounds so many ounces and if they were on sale he’d buy five and we probably went through one can every 2 to 3 weeks. After he died, I only drank about 2- 3 cups in the morning.

And I started using a single coffee maker. Frankly I went through two of the singleserve coffee makers in a year and they weren’t cheap which is why I switched to the French press. I still managed to break one a year but instead of being $60 it’s 20.

So the can of coffee was lasting three or four months. So in about a year and a half I finally open the last can we had and it didn’t smell like anything. Coffee was lighter in color as if the oils were dissipated. And I thought well maybe I’m crazy and when I made it there was very little flavor. So that coffee got thrown out. So it is not some thing that you can buy and keep for years and years. I probably had it a year and a half maybe two and it was dead.
I have kept coffee much longer than that, and it's fine. But I buy a lot of the vacuum sealed bricks, there is no air at all in them, so I think that might make a difference.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:47 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I wonder the same thing...why have chicken wings and beef gone up so much, but pork has stayed the same or dropped in price? And some stores seem to be raising prices just to see if they can get away with it. Honeycrisp apples 3 lbs for $2.49 at Winco vs $2.00 a pound at Raley's. I'm cheap, if I perceive something as being too expensive I substitute something cheaper, as a result we are still eating and my grocery budget has been pretty static for the past 2 years.
I was shocked at Winco's prices last time I went. I don't go often because I have to drive and I'd rather walk to the Fred Meyer and Albertson's that are closer. But the prices on a few items I buy were the same or more as Fred Meyer! After I checked out a few prices, I didn't bother to check the rest of my list. I just left. It used to be worth the occasional drive over, but no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement