Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 10:31 AM

198 posts, read 108,848 times

Advertisements

Things which help me sleep save $

1. At sundown, using these battery operated candles & keeping xmas lights at the stairway up all year. No need for lights since darkening the house earlier gives me an overall better rest at night.
2. Shower at sundown. Get in sleep clothes
3. Chamomile tea, organic- 16 bags for $5.50 however I easily re-use the bag twice. Will try 3 times but it seems the second time it finally starts to put out more tea. I suspect each bag can be used 4x
4. Last night I added an organic green tea bag. It's a superfood. Didn't keep me up.

I love my new night routine which will always start when the sun goes down, winding down for hours before I actually hit the sack. I feel so much better today getting enough rest. It's saved money because I am rested, I am more productive. Organized the shelving to re-use items, to pack them in storage so they'll last longer, etc.

I love organic Chamomile Tea!!

Last edited by BalloonLady; 01-08-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-08-2022, 02:19 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You may need to go hunt for pet food if this keeps going up!
I realized after seeing the lack of stock at the grocery stores that I needed to double up on all the pet food I get from Chewy.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:44 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady View Post
Things which help me sleep save $

1. At sundown, using these battery operated candles & keeping xmas lights at the stairway up all year. No need for lights since darkening the house earlier gives me an overall better rest at night.
2. Shower at sundown. Get in sleep clothes
3. Chamomile tea, organic- 16 bags for $5.50 however I easily re-use the bag twice. Will try 3 times but it seems the second time it finally starts to put out more tea. I suspect each bag can be used 4x
4. Last night I added an organic green tea bag. It's a superfood. Didn't keep me up.

I love my new night routine which will always start when the sun goes down, winding down for hours before I actually hit the sack. I feel so much better today getting enough rest. It's saved money because I am rested, I am more productive. Organized the shelving to re-use items, to pack them in storage so they'll last longer, etc.

I love organic Chamomile Tea!!
The chamomile tea if you can find it as loose tea, the 50 gram bags last longer than teabags use with a tea-egg or a mini fine sieve. Prices here for herbal teas varies but this one a good brand is euro 2.67 = usd 3.03

And any little leftover tea is nice on cotton puffs used on skin.

I do the christmas lights too year round use and real candles for extra warmth. Hot water bottle.

Tealights in little terra cotta pots a few on a heat proof plate with distance between each more warmth.

It is not only higher prices here in EU but some items are gone or regularly out of stock.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:15 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Hey..we don't have to worry now...the shelves are all empty

Weekly food shopping has become my weekly scavenger hunt...about 4-5 different supermarkets in order to get everything on my list now.
I don't mind though; I look at it as an adventure.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:29 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Hey..we don't have to worry now...the shelves are all empty

Weekly food shopping has become my weekly scavenger hunt...about 4-5 different supermarkets in order to get everything on my list now.
I don't mind though; I look at it as an adventure.
Interesting. Here, I picked up our grocery order from Kroger Thursday morning. Not a single out of item/substitution, which has been pretty much the norm for the last month or so.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:03 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Interesting. Here, I picked up our grocery order from Kroger Thursday morning. Not a single out of item/substitution, which has been pretty much the norm for the last month or so.
Not sure what's wrong with SC if that's where he/she is referring to, but here Kroger is overflowing with everything I ever need or want to purchase.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My husband is still working and he is in sales. Lots of driving. He downsized to a Honda Civic. Gas is still over $375 a month. I told him he has to start thinking if it is worth it. I am retired and it is winter in Wisconsin so I really don't drive much so I do balance it out.
Food prices are crazy. Not a good time to be on a fixed income.
I keep seeing this term used to describe someone who is poor. Does "fixed income" automatically imply poverty?

In the 1980s, my retired neighbors constantly bemoaned inflation and their fixed income, yet they purchased a new Cadillac Fleetwood sedan every 3 years to drive to their beach house and Las Vegas.

Personally, I'm on a "fixed income" of more than 100k per year. While I notice the increase in prices, my net worth continues to climb in spite of the increased outflow.

Maybe a new term is needed to denote "fixed income near poverty"?

Old 01-09-2022, 03:07 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not sure what's wrong with SC if that's where he/she is referring to, but here Kroger is overflowing with everything I ever need or want to purchase.

Not everything but I do have to hunt for a few specific items like:
SunnyD, brand cat food, jugs of spring water, brand half & half, kaiser rolls, Bob's Red Mill Oats

On the bright side though HD is out of nothing (and I go there a lot for DIY)

Old 01-09-2022, 03:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not everything but I do have to hunt for a few specific items like:
SunnyD, brand cat food, jugs of spring water, brand half & half, kaiser rolls, Bob's Red Mill Oats

On the bright side though HD is out of nothing (and I go there a lot for DIY)

Our walmart was out of all their normal gallon jugs of distilled, spring, and something else... They did have a new brand, so I bought that.

Something that never happened before, Costco was out of their greek yogurt.

But for the shortages, there has been other options to buy. It's not like there is no bread, milk or meat. It just may not be the exact "something" I was looking for.

I was actually expecting worse.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-09-2022, 03:30 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That is not the case here in Maui. Yesterday I visited Walmart for a few items: Mio beverage enhancer was wiped out along with Minute Maid and Walmart brands. Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner was out. Whole wheat hamburger buns, nope. Lipton Iced Tea in 12 pks-only the diet green tea was available. Scotch scrubber on a handle, nope. This was most of the things I went there to buy.

From there I went to Costco which was also out of several items I wanted.

The West Coast shipping backlog probably accounts for some of the shortages here. Generally, we can find replacement items by going store to store but increasingly, specific products are AWOL.

Now that the Christmas tourist season is over, I hope to see more goods become available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement