Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2021, 03:48 PM

106,590 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I tried it, not impressed with it. But then again I’m not all that impressed with a burger like that. I do really well with my own burgers at home.

In some ways it’s better than beef because there are a lot of added vitamins that vegetarians really need to have. It is however made from pea protein. So it does have carbs. And apparently some people have a hard time digesting pea protein.

There was also a colorization and texture issue that was … a little creepy. in my head as I looked at it I kept thinking of that pink slime stuff they were talking about with burgers a while ago? Ick.

But as a retiree on a fixed income I can tell you I am now paying attention to sales and doing some stocking up as things come available, and using the apps with extra savings. But out here in Northern California bay area, ground meat is 10 bucks a pound so I’m not eating it.
Man didn’t claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat burgers made out of pea protein powder

Old 12-14-2021, 03:50 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
"surge in food and energy prices?"
Surge? Really?
Go to https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts and set the timeframe to 10 years.
Go to https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/natural-gas and set the timeframe to 25 years.
Go to https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/heating-oil and set the timeframe to 25 years.
Go to https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lean-hogs and set the timeframe to 25 years.

P.S.
1. Half of our income is Social Security which has an annual COLA. Not fixed.
2. Half is withdrawals from the stock/bond market. Not fixed.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:58 PM

Same ,we are anything but fixed

Old 12-14-2021, 04:05 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Not so fond of humble brags when people are actually hurting because of prices.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:12 PM

Humble brags have nothing to do with it when a term is used like “ fixed income “

The reality the term living on a fixed income applies to relatively few seniors …that has nothing to do with the amount of income as everyone usually finds there is to much month at the end of the money regardless of amount .

But it is this term that retirees got branded with that really may apply more to the working then the retired who do get raises with inflation while many workers do not

Old 12-14-2021, 04:15 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Interesting and I hope this is not the direction we are headed here. Food is up a little but not massively. Restaurants and pubs have less specials since they have reopened but it is not too bad. BBQ chicken still $10 (US$7) at the supermarket.
However petrol is really high, I put in $100 this week, most I have ever had to pay.
Current inflation rate is 2.5%, which is nowhere near a record, so hope it stays a bit steady. However we are starting to see some strikes which have been absent for so long. Public teachers strike last week, first one in ten years.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I like 5 Guys' burger but damn, it's $9.99 for a cheeseburger!

We do the same when we drive to Arizona, it's at least $1/gal cheaper across the stateline.
The first time I tried 5 guys I thought it was overpriced but somehow forgot. So I just went back a couple weeks ago - about 5 years after the first time - and swore I'd remember this time. No way it was worth it and I'll never go back. The burger was pretty good, but the fries were way undercooked and floppy.

I only eat fast food once or twice a month (weight control and health) so when I do get some it's gotta be worth the money and it's gotta be treat-worthy. When I get one or two "not worth it" meals somewhere, I have no problem scratching them off my list.

As far as other inflated prices, I'm lucky in that I can walk for most of my errands. There are 2 grocery stores and a dollar store and a library within an hour walk (round trip) so I almost always walk there. So I only buy gas 3 or 4 times a year. I have a small chest freezer so I can buy food on sale, (I check out the sales ads every Tuesday and start shopping them when they start on Wed.) and I can cook in bulk and freeze single portions. I keep my heat at 66 and wear a sweatshirt at home, or a lightweight hoodie. Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) gave extra last year, so I didn't have to pay one gas bill all winter and I still have a credit this year. I hope everyone struggling to make ends meet applies for that. I haven't applied yet this winter and the amount varies from year to year, but it's usually at least $100 credit on my bill.

I learned to live within my means since I first left home at 17, and when we got the Covid checks last year I saved most of them. So if something I need or really want increases in price, I can still afford it.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:31 PM

482 posts, read 901,580 times
Making do same as always:

1. Eat at home instead of restaurants
2. Enjoy travel videos instead of real traveling
3. Use less heat or air conditioning.
4. Live within your means

Old 12-14-2021, 04:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Why does it give you so much joy to try to prove wrong that many seniors have very little earning power in their senior years when they are no longer working at jobs?

It seems just a lame inane joyful exercise to you to try to prove something wrong.....with no benefits of trying to prove it wrong.

Those of us on a pretty much fixed income (no pension, no involvement in stock market, both of which describe the majority of retired seniors) understand well that one's earning power in senior years is very diminished because of no longer working at a job.

Technicalities of language make no difference - it's the earning power that is diminished for retired non-working seniors, for what can be decades.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
I dont eat fast food,but I fondly remember in my college days,how nice it is to enjoy a McDonald fish sandwich when I can afford it.
So years ago I past by a food court on the way t o my appointment so decide to have a fish sandwich ,with a cup of water.
The fish tasted like carbon paper,there is hardly any fish in the patty?
I looked around and wonder how people can feel full eating this ****?then I notice they have a small hamburger and fill themselves with apple turnover,milk shake and french fries.
and you wonder why so many have become diabetic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement