Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 01:25 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I'm sure your grandma will be just fine. She lived through the high inflation of the 70-80's so she's been through it already.

You forget that we are all retired here. We aren't 30-something like you.
She was in her 40s back then. Papaw was still alive. They both worked. It's much easier to compensate for inflation as a two-income household in your 40s than at 85.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Saffron!!! they lock it up in the manager's safe at the grocery store.

That said, I usually now look in the "international" or mexican section at the store for spices. They are packaged in small bags.

OR, better yet even, got to a health food store where you can purchase (bulk) 'what you need' in a little baggie. That is often much less expensive than buying a jar.
Actually, my local big box grocer sells spices in bulk. I’d forgotten that. And I can buy small packs of some herbs in the Mexican aisle.

What I need right now is a couple of whole nutmegs.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:49 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
She was in her 40s back then. Papaw was still alive. They both worked. It's much easier to compensate for inflation as a two-income household in your 40s than at 85.
Oh and none of us here haven't aged ? You don't know what you don't know. YOU have never lived through high inflation...you really haven't.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:06 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Oh and none of us here haven't aged ? You don't know what you don't know. YOU have never lived through high inflation...you really haven't.
Youngsters

As I get older I found myself applying engineering practice in my personal life. Pardon in advanced for this nerdy talk but I do find physics mimics real life. For example, in all aspects but more so in particular in finance the concept of "margins management techniques" work pretty well. In layman's term don't live too close to the edge so a when life gives you a little hiccups you don't find yourself in a financial difficulty situation.

During the high inflation times, one needs to recognize the reduction of purchasing power so don't go all hog out spending all your money. Reducing your spending is a wise move since one is not at liberty to increase one's income at will.

Other terms but similar idea includes "factors of safety". But that's enough nerd talks.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I bought a Costco chicken. $4.99.

First I made tarragon chicken salad, then I made a chicken pot pie, DH had some for a couple lunches, then used the carcass to make broth which became faro/white bean vegetable soup. The meat from making the soup went to the dog.

I feel we got our money's worth.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-11-2022, 06:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I bought a Costco chicken. $4.99.

First I made tarragon chicken salad, then I made a chicken pot pie, DH had some for a couple lunches, then used the carcass to make broth which became faro/white bean vegetable soup. The meat from making the soup went to the dog.

I feel we got our money's worth.
This sounds like a magical chicken.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:20 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Saffron!!! they lock it up in the manager's safe at the grocery store.

That said, I usually now look in the "international" or mexican section at the store for spices. They are packaged in small bags.

OR, better yet even, got to a health food store where you can purchase (bulk) 'what you need' in a little baggie. That is often much less expensive than buying a jar.
I'm somewhat amused that In a thread about "retirees coping with the surge in food prices" turns into a discussion about buying rather expensive spices and flavorings!

Maybe you find my post amusing.

I would say, if you have plenty coming in, or high assets, you can easily weather the surge in food prices.

It's the LOWER income(assets( seniors who will have difficulties, and I hope they aren't buying expensive spices.
If they do, I'd like to know what foods they've cut out for buying that expensive spices?

We've used big bottles of imitation vanilla for years. There is an option extract bottle in the cupboard but only for *special* deserts and moments.

We add a splash of imitation vanilla to scrambled eggs, and l keep heavy or light cream on hand, so a splash of that, pepper, scramble together, fry.

We also sometimes use orange extract in the eggs mixture for french toast!

Saffron? The last time I bought it, it was like .04 oz, at Walmart in a sealed plastic bag..at Walmart...for $8.99.

Nope as food coats go up, I'll skip the saffron, thank you.
And I'll buy a McCormick mini jar of ground nutmeg, thank you.

We do have a "health grocery store across the river, where you might find any spice you want, but it's not exactly cheap to shop there!

Best

Old 01-11-2022, 10:17 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
You don't know me.

Most people here are not in their mid-80s. If they're posting here in their mid-80s, they most certainly have more educational background than my grandparents did, and are likely far more affluent.

My grandfather retired in 1993 at 62, born in 1931. He took his private sector pension in a lump sum - and with his heart issues, he didn't think he'd live long. He made it to 2009. My grandmother retired from being a cook for the school system in 1995. She's been retired going on 27 years now.

A county school cook in a red state isn't going to have a lavish pension.

The bottom line is that the lower rungs of society, especially seniors, are being ravaged by this inflation.

I got walloped with the $4/gal gas with the commodity run-up during the 2008 crisis. Maybe it's not 1970s level inflation, but I got plowed over back then - driving 500 miles/week to a $16/hr job, because that was the best I could find, even after commuting costs.

Have some compassion.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:18 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You don't know me.

Most people here are not in their mid-80s. If they're posting here in their mid-80s, they most certainly have more educational background than my grandparents did, and are likely far more affluent.

My grandfather retired in 1993 at 62, born in 1931. He took his private sector pension in a lump sum - and with his heart issues, he didn't think he'd live long. He made it to 2009. My grandmother retired from being a cook for the school system in 1995. She's been retired going on 27 years now.

A county school cook in a red state isn't going to have a lavish pension.

The bottom line is that the lower rungs of society, especially seniors, are being ravaged by this inflation.

I got walloped with the $4/gal gas with the commodity run-up during the 2008 crisis. Maybe it's not 1970s level inflation, but I got plowed over back then - driving 500 miles/week to a $16/hr job, because that was the best I could find, even after commuting costs.

Have some compassion.
Be a good grandson. Bring grandma a couple of bags of her favorite foods next time you go to visit.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:49 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Youngsters

As I get older I found myself applying engineering practice in my personal life. Pardon in advanced for this nerdy talk but I do find physics mimics real life. For example, in all aspects but more so in particular in finance the concept of "margins management techniques" work pretty well. In layman's term don't live too close to the edge so a when life gives you a little hiccups you don't find yourself in a financial difficulty situation.

During the high inflation times, one needs to recognize the reduction of purchasing power so don't go all hog out spending all your money. Reducing your spending is a wise move since one is not at liberty to increase one's income at will.

Other terms but similar idea includes "factors of safety". But that's enough nerd talks.
I'm fond of saying that when you leave yourself no room for error, you have set yourself up to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement