Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2022, 03:09 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yup, my spouse is a "no leftovers" person. But two days later, I can get a second serving... from leftovers... That spouse will eta, just not two/three days in a row.

I also like soup, keep canned on hand, and will crock pot a soup. Spouse will only eat it as a stew like consistency.

Spouse grumble s about chicken, my favorite meat, and wants beef... because, spouse says "I had too much chicken as a kid".
Yeah no kidding, it's budget friendly!
Beef is not.
I used to have a $10/pkg of beef (note NOT ground beef). Now I have to upgrade to at least $15/pkg, if not higher price.
I look for the markdowns of about to expire that day sale beef.

As far as leftovers, as a kid, even though we were square middle income family, my parents, who both grew up in poor single parent homes, never would allow food waste.
Come Friday or sat dinner (because of a serious disease, at age 9 as the eldest child, I had to take over her housewife chores), we'd take all leftovers in the fridge, dump in big dutch oven pot, add maybe tomato sauce or heavy cream and stir it together, heating it up.

Mother always referred to it as "you name it, you can have it".
Basically pot luck.

We also went to something that may not exist anymore. We'd go to "dish to pass" pot luck dinners, at church, the Grange, school or other locations.
We always took baked beans (homemade), which I hated, but it was always one of the first dishes emptied!

Now it seems the occasional soup kitchen at a church is about all there is.

I also hate food waste, but sometimes with just the two of us, we end up with wilted big pkgs (even though smallest) of veggies.

I'm looking into a small garage ready freezer to freeze stuff. Like when veggies either are leftover, or near end, chop/dice/cut, bag and freeze for stir fry or soup/stews.

Best to all
If you're going to buy a freezer and keep it in the garage for veggies, I can't see how that can be cost effective. Veggies are relatively inexpensive. It would take years to recoup your investment in a freezer, especially when you consider that the freezer in the garage will be working hard in the summer and increasing your electric bill.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:12 AM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I honestly don't get the whole "deliver my fast food to me while I sit on my couch" thing nor the whole "bring my groceries to me while I sit in my car scrolling my phone" thing.

I know COVID, but most people have adjusted by now. A few have just decided, having experienced it, that they like being waited on, I assume.

It's certainly not a luxury that belongs in any discussion of frugality!
It has nothing to do with waited on ..it has to do with better use of ones time …..rather then spend two hours Or more going shopping we can have things delivered 6:30 to 7am in the morning and it’s done .

Our bills are less when I don’t go in to a supermarket because I am a very impulsive shopper …in fact I am not allowed grocery shopping Without adult supervision.

Our time is better spent at the gym every morning before we start our days plans ….

If we do go to buy food ourselves I prefer that we go to the specialty stores we like for certain items and they are not for buying your groceries…

So it is simply just better time mgmt for us

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-21-2022 at 03:46 AM..

Old 01-21-2022, 04:07 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It has nothing to do with waited on ..it has to do with better use of ones time …..rather then spend two hours Or more going shopping we can have things delivered 6:30 to 7am in the morning and it’s done .

Our bills are less when I don’t go in to a supermarket because I am a very impulsive shopper …in fact I am not allowed grocery shopping Without adult supervision.

Our time is better spent at the gym every morning before we start our days plans ….

If we do go to buy food ourselves I prefer that we go to the specialty stores we like for certain items and they are not for buying your groceries…

I think that's true of a lot of people and also one must consider that grocery shopping for some is not high on the list of favorite things to do. It has nothing to do with being lazy. Why would you do something you don't enjoy when you have other options? I used to despise grocery shopping, but now with retirement, I don't mind so much. There are no grocery deliveries here so I make the best of it.
That said, even if I were able to order groceries every day, I would still want to go into the store once in a while to see what's there and what I'm missing.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:31 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think that's true of a lot of people and also one must consider that grocery shopping for some is not high on the list of favorite things to do. It has nothing to do with being lazy. Why would you do something you don't enjoy when you have other options? I used to despise grocery shopping, but now with retirement, I don't mind so much. There are no grocery deliveries here so I make the best of it.
That said, even if I were able to order groceries every day, I would still want to go into the store once in a while to see what's there and what I'm missing.
I did a couple of online orders while I was in iso with Covid. But I kept forgetting things and then the second order was missing a couple of items. No reply to my text so I had to wait thirty minutes on hold to talk to some man in India, who did know what had happened. But my first trip out of iso was straight to the supermarket.
I prefer to shop in person.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:52 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

No offense, MJ, but I think all of these explanations are falling on deaf ears.

I can't imagine how awful life would be if, to make myself feel better, I continually thought the worst of people I don't even know.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And sitting in your car staring at your phone waiting for someone else to do your shopping for you and place it in your trunk, especially if you don't/can't tip that person, just seems incredibly lazy.
That is not how it works.

Online orders are made several hours before pickup. You are notified by text and email when your order is ready. Your pickup window of time is one hour, but they will hold it longer if you call the pickup line and let them know you've been held up.

The workers are notified that you are parked in a marked spotwhen you call to notify of your arrival. The nice young workers at my store are usually so "on it" they already know you're there and just run out to quickly confirm your identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I can't imagine how awful life would be if, to make myself feel better, I continually thought the worst of people I don't even know.
No kidding. Some people would rather shoot or ignore the messenger than listen to an explanation.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If you're going to buy a freezer and keep it in the garage for veggies, I can't see how that can be cost effective. Veggies are relatively inexpensive. It would take years to recoup your investment in a freezer, especially when you consider that the freezer in the garage will be working hard in the summer and increasing your electric bill.
Veggies/fruit are outrageous in my corner of the US. Red bell pepper $2, red leaf lettuce $2.50, .... . The only way to go is sales and freezer.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Some are just like that.

anything they don’t do or can’t do or don’t do has an underlying negative reason for doing it

Old 01-21-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I did a couple of online orders while I was in iso with Covid. But I kept forgetting things and then the second order was missing a couple of items. No reply to my text so I had to wait thirty minutes on hold to talk to some man in India, who did know what had happened. But my first trip out of iso was straight to the supermarket.
I prefer to shop in person.
We use instacart and have a personal shopper in the store doing the shopping …any questions and they text you or you them .

You have to watch what stores you pick with instacart..we use ones that are pretty close to in store prices but some are much higher .

Let the shopper be aware

Old 01-21-2022, 06:40 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
I ordered Chick-fil-A for the spouse a couple of weeks ago. He likes it. The tab including delivery came to $45.

That is just ridiculous. There's no chicken sandwich worth that amount of money.
Quote:
2 chicken sandwiches
2 waffle fries
1 medium frosted lemonade
1 fruit cup

That was it. I have DashPass, so the delivery charge isn't as much as one might think. I understand there's an upcharge that goes to DoorDash for each item but 6 items / $45? Absurd.

I agree. But this begs the question, once you saw that it would cost you $45 of your hard-earned money, why did you go through with the purchase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement