Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2022, 11:10 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I only read a few posts thus far in this thread. Something to add is the way they calculate inflation rate has changed from past times. I think it changed at least once each in the 80s and 90s. If they used the previous ways to compute inflation, it would be higher than currently reported.
You might be referring to how the Bureau of Labor Statistics performs something they call a "Hedonic Adjustment" to official inflation numbers. The basic idea is that product quality improvements are not always captured in prices.

Economists for the most part agree that reported inflation numbers actually overstate true inflation. It doesn't matter if you're talking about the CPI-U, the CPI-W, the GDP deflator, the chain-weighted CPI, or even the trendy personal-consumption expenditures index—each of which typically shows an inflation number within 0.3 to 0.4 percentage point of the others.

Economists tend to point to the following problems with the calculation:
  • Substitution bias: When the price of a product in the consumer basket increases substantially, in the real world we consumers tend to substitute lower-priced alternatives. Thus, since the CPI is a fixed-weight price index, it would not accurately predict the impact of the price increase on the consumer’s budget.
  • Quality bias: Over time, technological advances increase the life and usefulness of products, but the CPI does not reflect such improvements.
  • New Product Bias: New products are not introduced into the index until they become commonplace, so the dramatic price decreases often associated with new technology products are not reflected in the index.
  • Channel bias: the consumer shift to new outlets such as wholesale clubs and online retailers is not well-represented by the CPI. Therefore, it tends to overstate inflation due to an adjustment for channel.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:57 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Uh, it's called "supply chain problems".

Instead of blindly ordering online, how about GOING to the store, and seeing how many shelves are ABSOLUTELY BARE?

my kitty only likes shreds and cuts. Only land, not sea.
Last time I was at the store, only pate was available. She doesn't understand that, she wants what she wants.
(And few cans at that!)
ALL STORES around here are in the same boat, pet food us in short supply!

This evening I'll give her cuts of sea, see if she'll actually eat it.

Best

Well, I know you are against ordering online/pick-up etc, but I found myself/my cat being in the same boat and ended up ordering from Chewy. My cat is kind of picky too, so felt like I really didn't have much choice, and a friend uses them and sings their praises....so went for it...nice to have a month's worth of food she actually likes and will eat.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:09 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had a possum in my car engine once. I don’t think it got hurt, but my engine sure did.
What damage did the possum do ? They aren't like rats or squirrels and eat the coating off the wires.....lol

Old 01-24-2022, 09:14 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, as you asked, if you want a REAL fertilized egg, go to the Philippines.

There, as a"street food" delicacy called Value.

It is a fertilized duck egg, heated to about 104° , eaten just a week shy of hatching, and ideally you open the egg, then swallow it whole, feathers beak and all.

It can also be found in other Asian countries.

Oh, yum, yum!

Can't wait to visit and try one. (NOT)

BEST
I felt a small amount of throwup in my throat when I got down to the "feathers beak and all" part........omg. I usually like street food but, this, no way.....lol

Old 01-24-2022, 09:23 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
They eat balut in Hawaii too. Hard pass for me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-24-2022, 09:31 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I felt a small amount of throwup in my throat when I got down to the "feathers beak and all" part........omg. I usually like street food but, this, no way.....lol
There's an old sailor's tale that, if you swallow a new born mouse whole, you will be more resistant to cold.

Try that!

Old 01-24-2022, 09:34 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They eat balut in Hawaii too. Hard pass for me.
For the un-initiated what Balut is

From Wikipedia
Quote:
Balut is a fertilized developing egg embryo that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in South China and Southeast Asian countries, notably the Philippines, Cambodia and Vietnam. The term comes from the Filipino language.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 01-24-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-24-2022, 10:23 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Dude (ette?). No one needed to see that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-24-2022, 10:25 AM

198 posts, read 108,848 times
yes that is a very disturbing visual....

Old 01-24-2022, 10:28 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Ha!! I can relate.

I had a family of squirrels living in my backyard. At first I just left them alone. The babies grew up watching me in the backyard so they have no fear of me. It wasn't until they started eating my vegetables in my raised bed. At first I put up 2 feet tall chicken wire fence around the raised beds but only to watch them climb over the fence and continue to eat my vegetables. Since I also have fruit trees (pears, plums, and cherry) I anticipated those will suffer heavy casualties with these squirrels.

So I decided the only solution is to get rid of them. But I didn’t want to kill them so I bought a trapped cage. At one time I trap as many as 3 in a day. Each time I drive a few miles away to release them. Finally after 21 catch & releases, my backyard is squirrels free.
Congratulations, lol! I once had a battle Royale with squirrels when I used to have a bird feeder. I won in the end with a weight-sensitive feeder. but I felt so bad I gave the squirrels their own feeder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement