Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 09:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Thanks for mentioning those; I had forgotten about savings bonds and had not heard if I-Bonds. You are limited to $10K per year, but that is a good interest rate, even if you have to cash out prior to 5 years, or even really 1 year -- compared to savings accounts or CDs.
Never heard of them... How safe?

Old 02-11-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I love my coping method: I recently started part-time at a coffee shop. The person closing (most of my shifts are closing) gets first "dibs" on expiring foods. We sell a couple of quiche, egg or bean based burritos, sous vide eggs (which is like a contained poached egg with a few additions like cheese, green onion and sausage) and then we have various scones, croissants, cookies and other baked goodies. We also sell a drink made with orange peel and at the recommendation of a coworker I've begun taking the orange home instead of composting it at night. So in addition to cash tips (I average about $40 per day) I'm also bringing home about $30-$50 of food and I'll freeze everything except the sous vide eggs. Of course I also get coffee. I get two espresso drinks (any size and style) and free drip coffee per shift. I usually drink the drip and give the espresso drinks to my husband and my son. Since the store is in our neighborhood, it's just a 2 minute drive or 15 minute walk.

Oh and once a month we can take home a free bag of beans.

I was stressed out the first month learning everything, but it's not hard and my body has adapted to the specific movements of pulling shots. It's not much more effort than being the check out person at Costco which are often retirement-age. Sometimes you have to lift 10 lb bins of coffee and 6 pack of alternate milks. I do free youtube workouts on a channel called Fitness with PJ. She's oriented to women in their 40's, 50's and above (she's over 50 herself) and she has you lifting about that weight (or a lot more!).

Good shoes for standing is really important. My Sketchers from Costco work well.
Are you at liberty to reveal WHICH coffee shop? Sounds from the description of the food like "a major one."

Old 02-11-2022, 09:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:

I love my coping method: I recently started part-time at a coffee shop. The person closing (most of my shifts are closing) gets first "dibs" on expiring foods. We sell a couple of quiche, egg or bean based burritos, sous vide eggs (which is like a contained poached egg with a few additions like cheese, green onion and sausage) and then we have various scones, croissants, cookies and other baked goodies. We also sell a drink made with orange peel and at the recommendation of a coworker I've begun taking the orange home instead of composting it at night. So in addition to cash tips (I average about $40 per day) I'm also bringing home about $30-$50 of food and I'll freeze everything except the sous vide eggs. Of course I also get coffee. I get two espresso drinks (any size and style) and free drip coffee per shift. I usually drink the drip and give the espresso drinks to my husband and my son. Since the store is in our neighborhood, it's just a 2 minute drive or 15 minute walk.

I was stressed out the first month learning everything, but it's not hard and my body has adapted to the specific movements of pulling shots. It's not much more effort than being the check out person at Costco which are often retirement-age. Sometimes you have to lift 10 lb bins of coffee and 6 pack of alternate milks. I do free youtube workouts on a channel called Fitness with PJ. She's oriented to women in their 40's, 50's and above (she's over 50 herself) and she has you lifting about that weight (or a lot more!).

Good shoes for standing is really important. My Sketchers from Costco work well.
You're only age 43 though! So your work situation and other situations do not really apply to many other retirees.....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...l#post62809989

from your post of 1-31-2022:

"Never thought I would say this but at 43 I experience chronic pain and joint aches that (already) affect my mobility. It started in my early 30's. A PT told me my ligaments are loose and I will have to keep my muscles, especially core, strong if I want to avoid falls and hip fractures as I age. I need to get on that now and not put it off another decade (or two).

I think there is more to it. I think in the least I've got fibromyalgia. Mom had it along with connective tissue disorder (rheumatic ailment)."

Old 02-11-2022, 09:42 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Are you at liberty to reveal WHICH coffee shop? Sounds from the description of the food like "a major one."
Not Starbucks

Old 02-11-2022, 09:53 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You're only age 43 though! So your work situation and other situations do not really apply to many other retirees.....

[url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/retirement/3336161-what-worst-you-think-youll-face-2.html#post62809989[/url]

"Never thought I would say this but at 43 I experience chronic pain and joint aches that (already) affect my mobility. It started in my early 30's. A PT told me my ligaments are loose and I will have to keep my muscles, especially core, strong if I want to avoid falls and hip fractures as I age. I need to get on that now and not put it off another decade (or two).

I think there is more to it. I think in the least I've got fibromyalgia. Mom had it along with connective tissue disorder (rheumatic ailment)."
It's not for everyone, but I know late 60 year olds working in the service industry. One is a host at a restaurant. Another, 76 year old veteran, still working here and there as an HVAC tech for a little spending money and socialization.

Some people actually have to work past traditional retirement ages. Some people make the choice.

Thanks to people like Mr. Money Mustache, Paula Pant and Frugalwoods there are quite a number of early retirees and financially independent but working. I don't know how many exactly, but given the popularity of the FIRE movement over the last decade I imagine there are now several hundred of thousands of us.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:46 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Never heard of them... How safe?
They are US savings bonds

Old 02-11-2022, 11:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
Quote:

Quote:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...l#post62809989

Quote:

Thanks to people like Mr. Money Mustache, Paula Pant and Frugalwoods there are quite a number of early retirees and financially independent but working. I don't know how many exactly, but given the popularity of the FIRE movement over the last decade I imagine there are now several hundred of thousands of us.
You walked dogs to make money and for work, and now you work in a coffee shop. You lost your dog walking job to Covid conditions. (your words) You walked dogs to make money and for work, and you said dog walking dried up because of the pandemic, so now you're working in a coffee shop and are 43.

Quote:
It's like when I lost my job due to Covid I took it personally...
Quote:

I had expected to keep working until 45+. Covid killed my industry (dog walking) at 41. I'm hobby farming instead (currently beekeeping). I like much better and if I get really good at it I can start selling honey. I've already been asked to teach informational sessions with a local farming group.

Maybe I'm "retired" or I'm just changing industries...
Quote:

I used to get paid for taking care of animals. I had the lowest rates in town because I wasn't relying on the income and knew it would make me more attractive to clients (and their pets!). most of the time I was very, very happy with what I was doing with my time
Quote:

I'm also struggling, but I can't figure out what it is. I get overwhelmed by the amount of work the property "needs". I put needs in quotations because we bought it from an 80+ year old that hadn't done anything in probably 15 years. So if there is pressure for me to improve it, it's all coming from me.... the property won't fall apart from going another year or two as-is (except for cutting the grass and killing the moss).

I'm not worried about money as much as if we can really handle the work. My husband is working more than ever and now youth sports are starting up and I'm just drifting through the day without feeling like I have a good hold on anything.

I might decide it's just too much and sell on that basis, but that would make me very sad because I really love the concept. Timing might not be right. I am giving it a full year.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-11-2022 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-12-2022, 08:10 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Yep, bought I Bonds last year and this year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-12-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
You walked dogs to make money and for work, and now you work in a coffee shop. You lost your dog walking job to Covid conditions. (your words) You walked dogs to make money and for work, and you said dog walking dried up because of the pandemic, so now you're working in a coffee shop and are 43.
Some posters just live to bust others.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep, bought I Bonds last year and this year.
Again... What are they, and how do they work? Or I suppose I could Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement