Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Re: the I-bonds, is there a reason everyone mentions $1k amounts? What if you have, like, $500k sitting in banks. Could and/or should you open 500 I-Bonds???
It is 10K max per year electronic and 5K paper.

We always sleep with the heat off, heck, I opened a window last night... and it was snowing.

But yeah, our propane costs are super high this year. We use a pellet stove for most of the heating, and close off all rooms we don't use. If it has been in the teens for a week or so, the cold seems to settle into the house more, so we might give a blast with the heater. I even turned the water heater down to sub-scalding.

I like the house on the colder side, so if I get cold I do some cardio, and I warm up. It's good motivation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-15-2022, 09:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I always keep my water heater turned off. Takes only about 20 minutes to heat it for showering and dishwashing. But then, I live alone...

Old 02-15-2022, 09:37 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,156,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did you add a second bank? I tried to do that last night and got a prompt to download some kind of authorization, it looked like too much trouble so I didn't bother
Nope, only one bank.

I recently changed my name but haven't changed it with my main bank yet. So I had 2 different names on the application - my legal name which social security has already changed to, and my previous name which is on the account I'm transferring from - which was probably the issue. I'm still waiting on my driver's license to come back before I can change it with my bank, so I'll try again then.

Last edited by LeeHoLee; 02-15-2022 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-15-2022, 09:44 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
I always keep my water heater turned off. Takes only about 20 minutes to heat it for showering and dishwashing. But then, I live alone...
I'm the opposite. I use hot water all day. We have a circulator that delivers hot water instantaneously everywhere. But I have a tendency to randomly cook stuff throughout the day, or clean, or laundry.... I do that stuff when the mood strikes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-15-2022, 09:54 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
My biggest issue is gas, ahead of food cost, although that's terrible. If a lot of your errands require a trip to the big city, it's going to cost you bigtime.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
My biggest issue is gas, ahead of food cost, although that's terrible. If a lot of your errands require a trip to the big city, it's going to cost you bigtime.
My social life requires a trip to the big city (any one of three in the area), so...

Hello, even more isolation!

I wonder how high it will have to be before my rather affluent hiking buddies decide to settle for venues closer to home, which are also plentiful, but so far there's no indication that will ever happen. Apparently driving long distances, hours each way, and eating out afterwards in pricey restaurants is part of the experience, and a mighty expensive and unnecessary part, if you ask me.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:34 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Oh wow. I can't imagine keeping my hot water off. I have an all electric house except for heat. My electric bill has never been over $60 in a month including last summer with an AC unit running. My average heating bill has been $130 a month which includes last month and it was pretty cold as you know going down to single digits on some nights. I have 2 furnaces. I keep the upstairs at 67 degrees and the downstairs at 64. BTW, every time you turn off the water heater, it takes a lot of energy to heat the cold water all over again. There's no way I'm going to start keeping the house really cold and risk broken water pipes.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:57 AM

I have an all gas house. Inflation is killing me.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:19 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh wow. I can't imagine keeping my hot water off. I have an all electric house except for heat. My electric bill has never been over $60 in a month including last summer with an AC unit running. My average heating bill has been $130 a month which includes last month and it was pretty cold as you know going down to single digits on some nights. I have 2 furnaces. I keep the upstairs at 67 degrees and the downstairs at 64. BTW, every time you turn off the water heater, it takes a lot of energy to heat the cold water all over again. There's no way I'm going to start keeping the house really cold and risk broken water pipes.
Your utility bill is REALLY CHEAP. How big is your house?

We live in the relatively mild weather in SoCal yet my bills are much higher than yours. Last month my gas bill for heating was over $300 and, in the summertime, my electric bill for AC can be over $350. We do keep the house warmer, upstairs at 75 when we sleep while downstairs at 62 at night.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:19 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
We're looking at a 27% increase in electricity rates here in Maryland. Emergency rate filing last week.

Quote:
I have an all gas house. Inflation is killing me.
Not just inflation but decrease in production, although National Fuel in Pennsylvania announced a rate decrease a couple weeks ago. Not much of one, a couple dollars/month but still a decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement